Wifes Sentra just about to hit 100k.. Use anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my wife's car is about to hit 100k. I have used Amsoil PI at I think 70k. I have MMO here in gallons, but don't know which what I should go. Aggressive with a PEA or use a slow cleaner like MMO...

If you're going to add anything, stick with a trade master, (Gumout Regane/Chevron Techron), instead of a jack of all trades, master of none.(MMO)

Gumout All In One
Congrats on making it to 100k. My 02 drank oil like crazy before 50k

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Why do you think it needs cleaning? A number on the odometer?

Depends on whether it was run on Top Tier or not

Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
So my wife's car is about to hit 100k. I have used Amsoil PI at I think 70k. I have MMO here in gallons, but don't know which what I should go. Aggressive with a PEA or use a slow cleaner like MMO...

Since you are not having problems, it's unclear what you want to fix. But, at 100K miles, the wife's car is no longer new. You might check compression in all the cylinders - dry, wet, leak-down. That will give you a better picture of the engine's condition. Engine problems tend to creep up unnoticed.

You might also go through the engine replacing vacuum hoses. At 100k, the rubber hoses are hardened from engine heat. Since most vacuum hoses are non-reinforced, when they become hard or brittle they may still form a seal, but they don't seal as well. Leaky vacuum lines might result in a big fail, but more likely just an accumulation of small leaks. You did not indicate if you kept mileage records. If so, you might discover that the vehicle is not as efficient as when new - due, at least in part, to minute vacuum leaks.

If you are using Top Tier gasoline - even using it occasionally, perhaps without even knowing it - then you are getting a dose of PEA or equivalent fuel system additives with each tank full of gas. It's unclear why you you would need to add more. But a can of PEA-based additive through the gas may not hurt anything (but see the comment below regarding 'aggressive' fix).

MMO added to the fuel is a bit more than a cleaner. Before you take advice or criticism of MMO from the BITOG trolls who dislike MMO for unspecified reasons, you might ask if they have ever used it and to describe their specific experiences with the product. As for Gumout/Regane, you might check the Gumout website (or maybe this forum) to determine which products contain what ingredient. When Gumout acquired Regane several years ago, there seemed to be a bit of confusion regarding the continued use of the Regane name. Redline also makes a popular PEA-based fuel system cleaner. MMO does not contain PEA. Sea Foam is another popular fuel cleaner which does not contain PEA.

Two final thoughts: If you have been using decent gasoline of the correct octane rating for your engine, it's unclear why you need to 'clean' your fuel system (aside from any cleaning done by additives already in the fuel). If you go "aggressive" (your words), the crud that gets cleaned has to go somewhere. There are numerous threads in which users describe darkened oil after the use of PEA-based cleaners, and one unhappy BMW owner who claims the crud all went to his injectors (and stopped there!).

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Why do you think it needs cleaning? A number on the odometer?

+1; 100 is just a number!

(and starting 2 similar threads...trying to get a different answer from the first one?
smile.gif
)

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3384350/Re:_Just_about_100k_on_the_2.5#Post3384350

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
Not all people visit all the sub forums...

smile.gif
True! Not trying to be a jerk, just noticed is all.

Last edited:
There seem to be two thought processes concerning fuel treatments.

1. Only needed when a car has issues with idle, hesitation, or power. These people usually trade their cars when the fuel system cleaner fails to be miracle worker at 100k+ untreated miles.

2. Preventive maintenance. Cleaning fuel injectors and carbon deposits before they become a problem. Most fuel (including Top Tier) contains 10% ethanol, and will carbonize or gum combustion chambers, fuel injectors, & intake valves over time. The idea is to not let these deposits accumulate into a huge clean up involving expensive fuel injector cleaning/engine clean up, or a premature new car purchase. Saving money over the long haul.

Originally Posted By: Joenpb

Preventive maintenance. Cleaning fuel injectors and carbon deposits before they become a problem. Most fuel (including Top Tier) contains 10% ethanol, and will carbonize or gum combustion chambers, fuel injectors, & intake valves over time. The idea is to not let these deposits accumulate into a huge clean up involving expensive fuel injector cleaning/engine clean up, or a premature new car purchase. Saving money over the long haul.

Okay, but most gasoline has some cleaning additives included - particularly Top Tier gas - to counter the gumming issues. If a person chooses el-cheapo gas from a station that does not maintain their tanks, then they are taking a chance. Between the included fuel additive and the fuel filter, an engine should run a long time without fuel issues.

A good way to carbonize your engine is to use fuel with too low octane rating - below that specified by the manufacturer. The ECU will adjust but it may punish you in the end.

I dont know where she fuels up at... I have a diesel, so thats a different story...

I throw some MMO in the tank since I already have it here. Other than that, I dont know...

This is crazy though. I totally forgot I installed those Bosch +4 plugs in her car when they came out...

Those things were smoked.. I remember reading about them sucking, but [censored]. Two looked like no electrode was even there. [censored] one for sure is smoked.

I cant believe they still sell these.

Originally Posted By: dave5358
Originally Posted By: Joenpb

Preventive maintenance. Cleaning fuel injectors and carbon deposits before they become a problem. Most fuel (including Top Tier) contains 10% ethanol, and will carbonize or gum combustion chambers, fuel injectors, & intake valves over time. The idea is to not let these deposits accumulate into a huge clean up involving expensive fuel injector cleaning/engine clean up, or a premature new car purchase. Saving money over the long haul.

Okay, but most gasoline has some cleaning additives included - particularly Top Tier gas

A common misconception with Top Tier fuel is that its all you need to counter the additional gumming from ethanol fuel, those additives simply aren't enough. I bought my car in 2011 and drove it 30k miles on almost entirely Shell fuel. I started to notice what sounded like a ticking or a valve tap. After some research I tried Gumout Regane, and the ticking disappeared. Apparently the fuel injectors were starting to gum. Ever since I've run a fuel system treatment every 5k miles or so and the ticking hasn't reappeared. Most people drive their cars until a problem or check engine light occurs, then after seeing the estimate for the repair, trade their cars for a new one. Today's automobiles ought to go 200-300k miles with proper preventive maintenance. Most cars don't get beyond 125-150K miles before being traded for this and other preventive maintenance that was lacking.

It can't hurt to run an injector cleaner, and Regane can be had pretty cheap. I say go for it. A little preemptive strike against dirty injectors is never a bad thing IMO. Just got done running a full tank with a bottle of Regane myself, and now I'm gonna start with some MMO over the course of the next year and see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back