High Mileage vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: expat

You have to re-think you perceptions of Engine displacement v drivability

If I may go back to the Nissan Qashqai.

You are getting 139BHP, BUT more important 236 FT lbs at only 1750 rpm and the torque curve is very flat.

Quote:"Crummy small Econoboxes"

It's about the same size as a Nissan Rouge or bigger (if you have 3rd row seating) and has all the Bells and Whistles you could imagine (the list would be too long to post)
Also a 5 star safety rating.

Bottom line is; Who is being Forced to buy what?
I CAN'T buy a fuel efficient vehicle here! I don't have the option!

My wife and I were on our honeymoon in Italy last year, and ended up getting a Nissan Qashqai as a rental. We were relieved to get such a big vehicle (by European standards) because as most people do, we over-packed, even for a 3 week trip. This thing swallowed up all of our luggage without issue, and was able to fit it all under the cargo cover, which is a must for doing a road trip across Italy (thieves love tourists and luggage).

The vehicle was very nicely appointed inside, and had everything from dual zone climate control to power folding mirrors (again, a must for such a big vehicle in very small rural villages). And it drove very well for what it was. We had the FWD version, 6-speed manual transmission, and the 1.5 L Renault DCI engine. Cruising at 140 km/h was no biggie for it, as were the mountain passes that we encountered. Usually, not even a downshift out of 6th was needed to keep up with our pace. I did not drive this thing gently at all, but it still gave us an average of 6 L / 100 km (40 mpg), fully loaded, and pedal to the floor acceleration. We drove a total of almost 3000 km through Italy from top to bottom, and that included driving in the south at 180 km/h (pedal to the floor basically) for about 4 hours straight as their speeding laws are not enforced in the deep south. Still gave us great fuel economy. Lots of idling and travelling up small mountain roads. No issue with power. Sometimes, during highway passing, I felt that I could use more power, but I didn't really notice a lack of grunt during any other situation.

All in all a good vehicle, and no, nothing like it here unfortunately...

The car or the driver? Couldn't resist!

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
If they could lose some of the weight here, you would really see it go up...

Expat - if Nissan thought they could actually sell that car here and make money, it would already be here. Few people buy cars here with fuel mileage as their #1 concern. It's a consideration for sure, but so is styling, resale value, cache, amenities, comfort, cost, noise, etc. And most Americans don't want to smell diesel fuel as they fill up....or be limited as to where they can fill up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back