Installed a remote start system yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I installed a remote start system on our Fusion. It was an OEM kit, one-directional. I found the proper part number on the Ford accessories website and then bought it on Amazon for much cheaper. I've heard many horror stories about remote start systems making other things act all wonky, especially on newer cars with lots of other electronic systems. In all honestly, I don't know how much credibility to give those stories. This installation was completely painless. The hardest part was removing a couple plastic panels on the car! All of the wiring was called out on the instructions I got off the Fusion forums. I metered the wires out that I needed just to verify, tapped into them, programmed the system, and that was it. The only complaint I had was that the kit did not really come with any instructions. It came with a user guide, but all of the installation instructions, which I got off the forums, did not come with the kit. No biggie. What was nice was all of the wires that required tapping into were already looped off and taped separately from the factory, so identifying them was easy.

I programmed the system for a 15 minute runtime instead of the default 10, and disabled the MyKey feature which will shut down the car when you open a door and/or insert the key into the ignition, which is stupid. I also decided not to hook up the included hood safety switch, or tap into the door ajar circuit input (which I disabled anyhow), per a Ford tech's request on the forums. It was less hassle, and doesn't affect the operation of the system. Overall I was very impressed with the quality of the kit, and once I got a hold of the proper instructions, installation was a snap with the proper tools and a little know-how. Just wanted to share. If anyone is planning on doing an install on their Fusion of any year and need tips or installation documents, PM me. The 1st gen Fusions are a little different from an installation standpoint, but quite similar.

I think you need remote start for brutal cold winter morning in Rechester, MN. I lived there for 4 years mid 80's, one morning in 84 or 85 the thermostat dropped to -43F. The car was outside and even after idled for 10 minutes the heater was barely warm.

Here in So Cal I don't even have the door lock remote in my key chain, I don't have house key in my chain either.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I think you need remote start for brutal cold winter morning in Rechester, MN.

I have remote start on one of my cars. really helps to cool the car off with AC when its a million degrees out.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Does the OEM kit include a carbon monoxide sensor to shut the car off?

No, but it has a maximum run time of 15 minutes any how.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back