Dash Cam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arrrrrighty kids,
show me your dash cams, what r u guys using for dash cam?
I want to use my cellphone with a windshield mount as dash cam.
I think there is an app that will start recording on voice command.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Never heard of a cell phone being able to do this. More info, please.Thanks.

Google "dashcam app", you will get bunch of results. I have a dedicated one from Amazon, it was like 40 bucks, but am looking to upgrade.

I just bought a Dash Cam over Winter.
I like the idea of Video Evidence.
There are a lot of people in this Country who can only be "financially" successful if they sue someone.

I bought a Panorama 2
Price: $189 / E-Bay
* Watch out for Counterfeits (of all dash cams).

My purchase Criteria:
* Wide angle lens with 'clear' image
* Wide operating temperature range -20*c thru 70*c
* 32GB media storage card will rewrite over itself when full

Last edited:
I have to wonder if you're better off with a separate cam than a smartphone? Can the police confiscate your phone in the event of an incident? Not only that, but don't you have to install and uninstall the phone each time you get in and out?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Yeah the smart phone cam is a dumb idea. A genuine dash cam is a much better idea.

pls expand, I am cheap, err I mean value focused.
Seriously, why won't a smart phone work?

Originally Posted By: stockrex
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Yeah the smart phone cam is a dumb idea. A genuine dash cam is a much better idea.

It will certainly work. There are quite a few people on youtube that are popular for making bad driving compilation videos and most of them use their cellphones as a dash cam.

It should work, but you should test it out to see how it does at multitasking - recording HD video, performing navigation, making phone calls all at the same time. Some of these tasks can be very CPU intensive. And I think that's why having a dedicated video recording hardware may be a better idea, so that the video doesn't suddenly stop or break up when you have an incoming call.

You should also ensure your phone mount does not obstruct the field of view of the phone's camera lens. If you have to spend $20 on a new mount, that's 50% of the cost of a basic dedicated dash cam.

You don't want to yell "record" and swerve at the same time.

I have the "jalopnik favorite" from amazon, $50 ish.

Arrrrrighty kids,

What is your objective here?

Originally Posted By: eljefino

You should reprogram the app to start recording when you say "oh sh*t".

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

It should work, but you should test it out to see how it does at multitasking - recording HD video, performing navigation, making phone calls all at the same time. Some of these tasks can be very CPU intensive. And I think that's why having a dedicated video recording hardware may be a better idea, so that the video doesn't suddenly stop or break up when you have an incoming call.

You should also ensure your phone mount does not obstruct the field of view of the phone's camera lens. If you have to spend $20 on a new mount, that's 50% of the cost of a basic dedicated dash cam.

That's why I want to use an old phone. Its only purpose will be recording the road.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I have the "jalopnik favorite" from amazon, $50 ish.

We have a winner!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

That's why I want to use an old phone. Its only purpose will be recording the road.
Originally Posted By: Donald
Arrrrrighty kids,

What is your objective here?

keep it recording ALL THE TIME :)

I bought that one off ebay for $20 shipped straight from Hong Kong and has worked great!

I plan on getting one that has two cameras where one is facing the front and the other is detachable and is mounted towards the rear so that I get a clear picture of the driver when they rear-end me prior to them speeding off...

I wave at those with rear-backup cameras when I'm behind them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back