Gates belts and pulleys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

I have to change my serpentine poly-V belt and a pulley. The bearing in the pulley is wobbly and have therefore destroyed the belt.

I can get new parts in a brand called Gates cheap. Anyone here familiar with the quality of gates parts ?

Thanks.
Søren

Gates is usually very good stuff. At one of the major parts supply chains here in the USA, Gates is the premium brand they sell.

Yes, Gates is a quality USA company.

What is your car?

When you say cheap, do you just mean less than dealer price?

Be sure it is genuine Gates product, not Gates shipped from something like Chinese website.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Yes, Gates is a quality USA company.

What is your car?

When you say cheap, do you just mean less than dealer price?

Be sure it is genuine Gates product, not Gates shipped from something like Chinese website.

The car is a Mazda 6gh from 2008 with the 1.8 petrol.

The parts are about half the price of genuine Mazda parts. I pay 89 USD for them. The parts chain selling the gates parts is the biggest parts supply chain in Denmark and only sell parts from OEM suppliers

I will take a look where it,s made when I get the parts. :)

You should be fine. Sounds good.

BTW, Gates is also known for quality hoses if and when you need those too.

Actually Gates isn't American.Owned by Tomkins,its British.National Rubber Products sold out to them in 1996.So,while they have US and Mexican operations,the deed to the company isn't here. And to think they made off road tires back in the 70s! (Std equipment on the Baja Bronco).

Hello, Use Gates with confidence. If ever you're doing straight (non-moulded) hoses, say on an older vehicle, boat or piece of farm equipment, go with Gates "Green Stripe" line. That is the best you'll find. Kira

I have always had excellent success with GATES Belts including Timing Belts
smile.gif

Gates has good belts and hoses but i would use an OEM pulley. Some OEM pulleys use a double row bearing, the aftermarket including Gates rarely uses them in their non OEM products.
This is very common and one of the best examples is Subaru timing belt pulleys, aftermarket uses single row as away to reduce cost.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
but the pully is made in china.

Thats the problem, cheap Chinese bearings. They don't seem to last very long.

Hi all. Changed The belt and The pulley today. The pulley is made in Canada and the belt was made somewhere in the EU. The bearing in the pulley was timken.

Fortunately taking off the old parts showed there where gates too. From the factory.

I used to use Gates cogged belts on my SBC Weaver dry sump pump back in the day. Very durable, I ran many seasons on one belt. Just put a Gates serpentine belt on my sons Cavalier - good quality as usual.

Originally Posted By: shDK
Hi all. Changed The belt and The pulley today. The pulley is made in Canada and the belt was made somewhere in the EU. The bearing in the pulley was timken.

Fortunately taking off the old parts showed there where gates too. From the factory.

That pulley might really be a Litens, unless there is more than one factory in Canada that makes serpentine belt tensioners (seem unlikely). If it is a Litens those are really good quality.

http://www.litens.com/tensioncontrol1.cfm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back