E-mail reply from Mills on CCW policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I open carried for the first time the other day. I always wear a leather coat or jacket when cold or cool. I wear a vest when warm or hot.

The other day it was cool and I had my jacket on, by mid day it warmed up to the extant I was past hot and sweating. Tossed the jacket in the car and continued shopping at Wal-Mart. No issues came up what so ever, if anyone looked at me sideways I sure didn't see it, neither did my wife.

Maybe they thought I was a 70 year old fat off duty cop. LOL

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Open carry in the field is fine. I've done that and it makes sense.

Open carry in public invites unwanted attention of many varieties. I wouldn't recommend it.

Also makes you the "shoot me first target" if a nutjob goes on a spree.
The numbers indicate that's not the case since that never happens. If you want to speculate you'll have to conclude OC scares off attackers. Common sense dictates that as well. Criminals pick weak targets.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
I open carried for the first time the other day. I always wear a leather coat or jacket when cold or cool. I wear a vest when warm or hot.

The other day it was cool and I had my jacket on, by mid day it warmed up to the extant I was past hot and sweating. Tossed the jacket in the car and continued shopping at Wal-Mart. No issues came up what so ever, if anyone looked at me sideways I sure didn't see it, neither did my wife.

Maybe they thought I was a 70 year old fat off duty cop. LOL
You didn't notice anything because nothing happened. Don't listen to the propaganda from the anti-gun NRA types.

Our legislature passed an Act last summer, Act 746, making some technical changes to our weapons law, that many of our prosecuting attorneys have concluded (correctly, I believe) made Arkansas an open carry state.

The Attorney General and other PA's are on record otherwise, so the issue is still unsettled statewide. Arkansas was pretty restrictive on its weapons laws for a deep south state. Our state constitutional protection is weak ( in my view ) and until shall issue CCW came along, really the only place a person could legally carry was on one's own property.

Regardless, for the reasons others have said, open carry just seems like a dicey proposition in an urban enviroment. I'm glad the right now exists where I live ( our local PA's got it right ), but when I carry, it's still concealed ( pocket carry ). I think most agree, because I have yet to see anyone open carry, other than LEO's.

I think Oklahoma is also now open carry as a result of recent legislative action, but I don't know the details of their new laws.

If I were to open carry, it would probably be my two tone .40 Hi Power with the cocobolo (sp?) grips. That's just a classy looking piece (imo).

Great news, The_Eric! Nice to see they support the 2A.

Also, good for you in taking the time to contact them. That is one of the most important ways you can continue to see things you like, and discourage things you don't.

I probably fire off an email to someone at least once a week; might be my legislators, a company, a vendor, etc. I will either compliment the things I see as right, or condem the things I don't. Either way, feedback helps sustain the good stuff or change the bad stuff. I realize that I, alone, cannot affect all change. But individual responses do add up.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I am certain there are other forms of that unwanted attention as well...but I've no desire to experience any of them. I'll carry concealed in public.

That's exactly where I am. None of my fears (of experiencing unwanted attention) may ever come to fruition, but the only way I know that I'll stay under the radar is to keep my weapon out of sight. I'm a very unassuming/humble/quiet person to begin with. It's not in my personality to be "showy" or ostentatious. I'd be the last guy to drive around with racing stripes or a booming stereo or loud exhaust. Not that there's anything wrong with any of that...it's just not my personality. I think that extends to how I carry a weapon as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back