Napa Gold (ADBV)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a Napa Gold filter for my Nissan this is the first NG for this truck and I have not bought a NG in several years. The ADBV on this filter is black? I thought all NG filters used an orange silicon ADBV? Am I missing something?

What is the filter number? I had the same thing happen on a Napa Gold for my sister's honda. It was just darker colored until I cut it open. When I first installed it, I thought the ADBV was black. When I cut it open it turned out to be red silicone.

That one has a nitrile ADBV, for whatever reason. At this very moment, I have the actual Wix version, the 51358. It has the nitrile ADBV. I normally don't make a big stink about nitrile ADBVs, but the 51358 costs a wee bit more than the originally specified 51365 or the oversized 51356, which is cheapest of all.

Originally Posted By: Garak
That one has a nitrile ADBV, for whatever reason. At this very moment, I have the actual Wix version, the 51358. It has the nitrile ADBV. I normally don't make a big stink about nitrile ADBVs, but the 51358 costs a wee bit more than the originally specified 51365 or the oversized 51356, which is cheapest of all.

Garak how long do you run your NG filters? Man this filter looks like it belongs on a garden tractor it is so small compared to what I was use too anyway. I was planning on 7,000 mile OCI with the NG filter and Shell Full Synthetic will the NG filter go that long without issue?

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Garak how long do you run your NG filters?

I've been following the OEM intervals, but am looking at extending through UOAs now. I wouldn't worry about the filter size. I used to worry, but we don't tend to see filters plugging up. I can't see 7,000 miles being an issue in the slightest with the Wix or Napa Gold.

It's funny you should mention garden tractors. The filter does actually cross to several garden tractors.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The NAPA 1356 is exactly 0.62 inches longer than the NAPA 1358. That's almost 5/8.

Normally, I'm not a big fan of oversizing. But, since I'm already out of spec on the oil, I'm not worried about being out of spec on the filter. The filter warranties call for using the specified filter, but also the specified grade. I guess I live dangerously.
wink.gif
Nonethless, I will be using the specified Hastings for the next little while, having gotten a handful of them for free.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Normally, I'm not a big fan of oversizing. But, since I'm already out of spec on the oil, I'm not worried about being out of spec on the filter. The filter warranties call for using the specified filter, but also the specified grade. I guess I live dangerously.
wink.gif
Nonethless, I will be using the specified Hastings for the next little while, having gotten a handful of them for free.

The only reason I'd hesitate if I were in your situation would be for the slight differences in gasket sizes, but if I recall, you said the oversize filter seals just fine.
21.gif

Yep, the gasket size was much the same. Additionally, there is lots of room, both in mating surface and for a longer filter. I'm sure I could find something even more different if I really looked. But, I'm completely satisfied with the specified and "normal" oversize options. It's just so peculiar that the oversize for the Wix and Hastings are cheaper than the proper filter.

No idea why Wix/NG hasn't gone to a silicone adbv on the 5/1358. The 5/1356 initially started with a nitrile adbv when they changed the baseplate geometry/design but they rather quickly moved to a silicone adbv. Personally, unless the vehicle was under warranty, as long as it fits I'd use the somewhat longer but otherwise identical 5/1356 (same as Fram 7317/14610 Puro) with silicone adbv instead. Just me.

I did notice though that with the exception of Nissan/Infiniti the (5)1358 is mostly an outdoor equipment and motorcycles application filter. Might explain why they use nitrile in that filter. Otoh, Fram has a separate outdoor equipment motorcycle filter application, the PH6017A that covers those applications.

we used to buy filters made by purolator but sice everyone was talking about the tears and actually seeing two that were torn i decided to switch to another filter for the shop...i have been cutting them open and so far have seen no problem with the new non purolators..
i used to like purolator im sorry they have issues these days but my new filters are about 10% cheaper anyway

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I did notice though that with the exception of Nissan/Infiniti the (5)1358 is mostly an outdoor equipment and motorcycles application filter. Might explain why they use nitrile in that filter. Otoh, Fram has a separate outdoor equipment motorcycle filter application, the PH6017A that covers those applications.

Take a look at the 51365, the previously specified Wix for the G. It has way more OPE and the like listed for applications, yet they put the silicone in that filter. Yeesh. Basically, I tend to buy whatever happens to be available out of the 51358, 51356, and 51365, and the same with respect to the Hastings LF113 and LF240. Sometimes one is out, so I just grab an alternate. I'm not that hung up on "requiring" a silicone ADBV for my applications, but I don't like paying more for the 51358 when it's smaller and using nitrile.
wink.gif

Ahh I misspoke, or in the case mistyped. The (5)1356 is the old Honda (and many others) pc application filter that was superseded by the 7356 with the new baseplate geometry which I should have typed and what I meant to say. I happen to have both (1356/7356) here in my stash and plan on using both.

So where I typed 1356 I meant to say 7356 which has a silicone abdv. So I'd use the 7356 instead of the 1358 mentioned. I too would not like paying Napa Gold prices for a filter with a nitrile adbv.

Either way, I caught your gist, and the 51365 and 51356 do have the silicone one. I just wish they'd update the 51358. Then again, I've lived with no ADBV at all with horizontal filters in the past, and the world didn't end.
wink.gif

^^^ Because they are different brands, and so they have different part numbers. At least knowing the 5 is dropped helps to determine what the two corresponding WIX vs NAPA filters are.

It could have been NG-51356, or use a 3 instead of a 5 to signify NAPA to become 31356. Dozens of ways to renumber a part.

Maybe Purolator should rename their part numbering system, like TL14610 ... TL for "Tearolator". Someone will like that idea.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back