Remote shutdown options in Win7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to turn off a Win7 machine at a remote location. There isn't anyone there that can physically touch it. The machine is plugged into LAN/WAN, but the only access configured on it is via Windows File Sharing. The Remote Registry service is not running on that machine, so that prevents me from just using "shutdown /i". Remote Desktop is not responding either - it's probably disabled on that machine.

Am I SOL or is there some other option to remotely shut it down?

Maybe you could... I didn't think disabling the Remote Registry does turns this off, maybe I'm wrong.

-net use \\*IP Address* /USER:*username* *password*
Then
-shutdown -s -t 0 -M \\*IP Address*

If that doesn't work, perhaps after you've authenticated to the machine, go into Services.msc on your workstation and 'Connect to Another Computer'.

Also, and this is a long shot. Possibly UNC to the workstation after authenticating to it with an XP Pro workstation and see if it'll give you the option of running a scheduled task. Put something in there to either turn on RDP or shutdown the PC.

Hope some of this helps.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: redhat
Maybe you could... I didn't think disabling the Remote Registry does turns this off, maybe I'm wrong.

-net use \\*IP Address* /USER:*username* *password*
Then
-shutdown -s -t 0 -M \\*IP Address*

The first command completes successfully, but the second command gives me "Access is Denied.(5).

Quote:

If that doesn't work, perhaps after you've authenticated to the machine, go into Services.msc on your workstation and 'Connect to Another Computer'.

Not seeing an option to "Connect to Another Computer" after I started services.msc.

Originally Posted By: Ndx
PSexec shutdown package ... As long as you can connect to it

Can't seem to be able to. When I run psshutdown, I get a message:

Couldn't access >:
Access is denied.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Right click on Services (Local) on the left panel.

Found it. Thanks. I'm getting "Access is Denied." as well.

Looks like the remote computer is not in the same domain, so you're going to have to specify credentials. Put in Administrator and the password of the target box.

psexec \\ipaddressofremotemachine -u username -p password shutdown.exe -s -t 1 -f

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: e40
Looks like the remote computer is not in the same domain, so you're going to have to specify credentials. Put in Administrator and the password of the target box.

psexec \\ipaddressofremotemachine -u username -p password shutdown.exe -s -t 1 -f

Thanks. Did that, and after some time I got the following message:
Quote:

Shutdown.exe exited on > with error code 0.

What does that mean?

By the way, I am no longer seeing this PC's folders in Windows File Sharing, so maybe it did shut down?

Yep sounds like it shut down
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back