New home build network/Wi-Fi infrastructure

Nothing keeps a switch flashing like POE security cameras. As another guy who’s labeled and terminated a few RJ45s, truly beautiful work. I didn’t do nearly as nice of a job in my home - got it up and running for the fam just enough and kept going. I ran UniFi APs and a small Cisco soho poe switch, which I’ve come to really appreciate.

I will say this - the free Endian UTM router/firewall software is fabulous if one wants to DIY it with a rack mount machine such as a 1U supermicro intel or atom-based server. I’ve had a hard time using anything else there.

again, wonderful job.

m!
Thank you, appreciate that! I have never heard of Endian, I will have to check it out.

The site's internet was still dropping, so I had another Spectrum visit this past Thursday. A different grade/level of technician showed up and man did it show. The guy was super personable, great and friendly, was a 30yr cable veteran and really good at his job. You could tell he was passionate about his quality and knowledge. He found at the tap, three of the upper frequencies having lots of modulation and bit-rate errors. He was moving wires at the tap around and the entire RF spectrum started showing errors. He ended up moving it back to a "semi-consistent" working order, but submitted a maintenance ticket to have that crew fix the issue.

His thought was it's either the newly installed tap that is bad, a bad cable termination coming from/to the tap, or a line issue farther upstream.

Guy was an avid outdoorsman and a country-folk like us, had a nice time conversing with him.

I'll probably follow up today or tomorrow with Spectrum support to inquire as to what the maintenance crew had to do to repair this and or verify they actually did something.

I ran into similar with a local isp with great rates and friendly service. Line speed was high but error rate was unbelievably high, which broke my wife’s wfh Remote Desktop but was fine for buffered streaming video, so it took me a minute to figure out. After a few techs looked at the lines, I saw the same pattern. Taps which were originally immersed in grease had dried out along the full run of phone poles, and they were just replacing them as they had to. i started getting suspicious of this as it was worse during cold weather and during rains. Finally, a solid tech told me that gem during the service call, which was also his next to last day. That’s a frustrating thing to deal with. They could start systemically updating the poles and patches and reduce the repeated trouble calls. While I didn’t want to pay for fiber service, we really had no choice, but the general reliability has been rock solid.

Back