9K OCI on dino oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the engine call for dino oil, or do they suggest synthetic oil? Assuming they don't require synthetic oil, here goes. I'll hide first
27.gif
. I wouldn't do it based on how it performed in my application with short 3,000 mile OCI's. Opinions will vary, and some people will say if the OLM says the oil is GTG go for it. I say it depends on how the vehicle is used, under perfect conditions maybe. For a 9K OCI I'd spend a little more and use a synthetic oil.

36.gif

Mitsubishi 15,000km service intervals, and no synthetic requirement ?

My brother was filling his fleet with Tritons some years ago, as they had 15,000km servicing, which as a business meant less downtime, and with their warranty, they backed it....diesels as well.

I doubt that I'd really like to buy one (in particular a diesel) that was 15,000km serviced through the warranty period on dino.

My Chevys got a little over 6k miles before it says to change oil. The OLM is based on SL Dino too. I think its accurate; i change according to it but i think its too long, but oh well

Originally Posted By: Spetz
What happens if oil change intervals are at 9,000 miles and dino oil is used?

Why? Did you forget? The only ways I'd do 9k is if half or more of those miles were @ sustained hiway speeds or if the sump got replenished with a couple of quarts (i.e. a drop on the stick to "L" after 3k miles)...

Last edited:
Dnewton did 15K on Supertech dino ... and UOA results were not bad.

I had a friend do 11K on valvoline nextgen. I don't see any sludge in the filler cap.

How about sending a sample in to be tested. If they say it's good, then you have your answer. As a side note, I have a friend who leases cars. He takes then to jiffy lube whenever he thinks of it. Usually between 15-20k miles.He runs about 125 high way miles a day,and the cars usually last over 200k miles without problems.,,

Originally Posted By: Spetz
What happens if oil change intervals are at 9,000 miles and dino oil is used?

What engine? If it had a really large sump it maybe OK.

My Maxx typically runs to 6500-7500 to the OLM with a 5 qt sump on conventional 5W30.
My F150's recommended change interval is 10,000 miles with an 8 qt sump and specifies conventional 5W20.

I feel it's truly dependent on the vehicle, driving condition, climate etc.
On our website dedicated to motor oil enthusiasts you're probably going to get mostly "bad idea".
But to be honest back when I was in college I had a Kia the I did 10+k mile changes with Dino (mostly QS,PYB&service pro) and made it to over 215+k miles.
If you think about it probably the majority of people out there who know nothing about cars are motor oil stretch the changes of far longer than they should. especially if the car is out of warranty, plus conventional oils are the best ever been. Probably shouldnt forever, Syn isn't much more these days, but highly depends on vehicle and conditions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Mitsubishi 15,000km service intervals, and no synthetic requirement ?

12,500 km severe service intervals on the old Audi, with conventional. I don't recall what the "normal" intervals were.

In any event, there are plenty of UOAs here to leaf through with high mileage on conventional. It's always application and service dependent.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Maybe you can use an HDEO if you want to go that far on conventional oil.

+1

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Depends on the vehicle and driving habits. Some cars are easy on oil and should be able to handle a 9k dino OCI just fine.

I don't see how you could prevent varnish when pushing dino to 9k no matter how you drove the car.

I'm 6,000 miles into my Havoline HM 5W-30. My OLM on my 04 Ascender says 47% oil life left. I may run it to zero and that should take me 12,000. Don't it before with no issues. 9K shouldn't be an issue.

To clarify, I don't plan to run 9K OCI on dino oil, but the manufacturer stated OCI is 9K, and I notice that there has been dino oil used by the previous owner from the maintenance records and the OCI was at 9K (as there is a service symbol that appears on the dash).

There is varnish, but no sludge after taking off valve covers.

Could this have done permanent damage to the engine and hence diminish longevity?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Depends on the vehicle an driving habits. Some cars are easy on oil and should be able to handle a 9k dino OCI just fine.

Exactly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back