Ubuntu 14.04 LTS just went "live"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys. Doesn't sound like it'll be much different for me. May as well stick with what I have.

Thanks. I just realized I was on 12.04. Upgrading now
smile.gif

No need to hurry yourself if you are using 12.04 - It'll be supported until April 2017, and the upgrade may take a good long while today with all of the servers getting hammered so hard.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
If I do the upgrade from 12.04 will all my personal files, installed programs, settings etc stay? The other question, can you do the upgrade from the terminal?

The Update Manager ought to alert you to the new LTS and perform the upgrade for you. All of your data will remain, with your applications and underlying operating system updated.

You can also upgrade through the terminal with:

Code:
sudo update && sudo dist-upgrade

Okay thanks. For now I am probably just going to stay with 12.04.. I like it so not much reason to upgrade really. Maybe sometime, no rush though.

A couple of things that I don't like about 14.04..

The edge scrolling on 14.04 is backwards to 12.04. Instead of going up for up and down for down, it's the other way around.

Also looks like you can't close full screen apps anymore?

I haven't found a way to change these yet..

I don't know about the edge scrolling - That sounds a bit odd. Try looking in [gear icon in upper right] - System Settings - Mouse & Touchpad.

To close a full-screen app you could always hit Esc or F11 if the app is really full-screen. If it is just maximized the window buttons (as well as the menus) will not appear unless and until you mouse over the task bar at the very top. I thought 12.04 was like as well, though.

Yea I tried the mouse settings and that doesn't have it. I will explore it some more sometime but it looks like you might be able to fix that by downloading the unity tweak tool.. interesting.

Also the app that was full screen was libre office.. Didn't have the option to close it at the top like it does on 12.04. Maybe I was missing something though.

I did an in-place upgrade last night on a desktop that had Xubuntu 13.10. The upgrade was easy and there are thankfully very little UI changes in Xfce. Everything looks and works as it did before. Good for another 3 years on this for security updates (I think Xubuntu runs a 3 year cycle instead of a 5 year cycle). No big deal...another LTS should be out for 16.04, right?

I will upgrade the rest of mine this weekend.

You can also upgrade through the terminal with:

Code:
sudo update && sudo dist-upgrade

Are you missing apt-get in the middle of those two commands?

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I did an in-place upgrade last night on a desktop that had Xubuntu 13.10. The upgrade was easy and there are thankfully very little UI changes in Xfce. Everything looks and works as it did before. Good for another 3 years on this for security updates (I think Xubuntu runs a 3 year cycle instead of a 5 year cycle). No big deal...another LTS should be out for 16.04, right?

I think both 13.10 and 14.04 have XFCE 4.10 so there'd be very little in the way of forward-facing UI changes. XFCE is the last bastion of stability among some rapidly-changing major desktop environments and I think they are an intentionally slow-moving project.

All Ubuntu derivatives get 3 years for LTS instead of Ubuntu's 5; and yes, LTS for all of them comes out in April of even-numbered years.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Are you missing apt-get in the middle of those two commands?

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Wow. Yes I did. Thanks.

XFCE is the last bastion of stability among some rapidly-changing major desktop environments and I think they are an intentionally slow-moving project

I would argue that you are correct in your assessment here. When I was doing CS 13+ years ago the DE we were using was XFCE. It hasn't changed much since then. Consistency has been one of the keys to its success, along of course, with its small footprint.

I read somewhere (I think it was on the Ubuntu forums) that the option to update to 14.04 won't show up in the update manager until they come out with 14.04.1 in August? Does that sound right?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I would argue that you are correct in your assessment here. When I was doing CS 13+ years ago the DE we were using was XFCE. It hasn't changed much since then. Consistency has been one of the keys to its success, along of course, with its small footprint.

After first the KDE 4.0 debacle, then Gnome 3, then Unity, people have been flocking to XFCE in droves in an attempt to salvage some sense of normal desktop behaviour.

At present, even Debian Testing ("Jessie") has XFCE as the default desktop (as did Wheezy up until a few months before it's release, before returning to Gnome. Apparently they're going to decide if they're going to do that again in July or August).

I think the XFCE developers have become aware of what the project represents to people and they've done an excellent job being that... Personally I think not enough people have given Gnome 3.8+'s "Gnome Classic" session a fair shake.

I read somewhere (I think it was on the Ubuntu forums) that the option to update to 14.04 won't show up in the update manager until they come out with 14.04.1 in August? Does that sound right?

The Update Manager can be set to alert you to only new LTS releases, or any release, or not at all. I am not sure what the default is. I cannot imagine Canonical waiting for the "point" release to try to get everyone on the same page. 14.04, which I have using since the Alpha stages back in December, has shaped up to be top-notch and I think it is absolutely advisable for anyone who intends to upgrade (or to test the upgrade) to do so now.

The Update Manager can be set to alert you to only new LTS releases, or any release, or not at all. I am not sure what the default is. I cannot imagine Canonical waiting for the "point" release to try to get everyone on the same page. 14.04, which I have using since the Alpha stages back in December, has shaped up to be top-notch and I think it is absolutely advisable for anyone who intends to upgrade (or to test the upgrade) to do so now.

I thought that was kinda strange. Hmmm.. Mine is set to notify me of new LTS releases but hasn't yet..

So it's not worth waiting for any bugs to get worked out of 14.04 since most of them were probably worked out in the pre release versions?

Last edited:
I thought that was kinda strange. Hmmm.. Mine is set to notify me of new LTS releases but hasn't yet...

Even if you manually poll for updates?

Back on the Xfce topic, this is the most "stable feeling" DE I've used with Ubuntu or its derivatives. I also used Linux Mint MATE for a while and it seemed a little "flaky" to me. MATE seemed highly customizable, but almost with the result of being overly complex. Xfce strikes, to me, an excellent balance of user tweakability and reliability. I have my desktops looking exactly like Windows. The applications menu is in the lower left corner, the "system tray" is in the lower right corner, and applications open in very Windows-like Windows. I really enjoy using it.

We tried Apple's OS X a few years back, and had it for a year or two, but my wife never really "took" to it. Frankly, it wasn't as intuitive to me as it's made out to be either. I felt much more comfortable and proficient in Windows. And Xubuntu brings that Windows-like feel for me. You still "install" software (rather than OS X, where you drag it to where you want it in the Applications menu). You still get that file-by-file view of your file system. The file manager (Thunar in Xubuntu) is more like classic Windows' File Manager than Finder is, and I like that about it. It has a very comfortable feel to me, like an old friend.

It really doesn't even feel like Linux to me, Xubuntu. Ubuntu (with Unity) looks and feels like something different...like something new and unfamiliar that I'd have to learn. It's interesting how much the desktop environment influences how one feels about an OS.

I thought that was kinda strange. Hmmm.. Mine is set to notify me of new LTS releases but hasn't yet...

Even if you manually poll for updates?

Right, I tried manually checking, nothing. Didn't try the apt-get command for it yet.

It really doesn't even feel like Linux to me, Xubuntu. Ubuntu (with Unity) looks and feels like something different...like something new and unfamiliar that I'd have to learn. It's interesting how much the desktop environment influences how one feels about an OS.

I am the opposite. I want it to look, feel and act as different as it can from windows. I love the stock Ubuntu with unity. The closest to looking like windows I get is with Linux Mint. It's just enough different than the way windows looks that I like it.

It's great that Linux distros are making some of them look like windows though. If anything, that will help more people switch over to Linux from windows.

So it's not worth waiting for any bugs to get worked out of 14.04 since most of them were probably worked out in the pre release versions?

The LTS releases get extra-long periods of testing (although nowhere near as pathologically-tested as Debian Stable or Red Hat/ CentOS) before the release is released; and they start with packages from Debian's "Testing" branch rather than the normal releases which take their packages from Debian's "Unstable" branch.

Canonical is pretty serious about the LTS releases being stable, solid and robust and ready for prime time when they're released. The LTS releases are the ones that Canonical holds up to the world and says "See what we're capable of!" while the 3 intermediate releases between LTS's are for the introduction of new features and the hammering-out of new technologies.

I burned the 14.04 live DVD and tried to boot my 2007 Dell XPS 400 (2GB memory) with it. When offered the choice to try it (instead of installing), it hung with a black screen for about 8 min before finally displaying messages about a GPU lockup and several saying "failed to idle channel Xorg 4954". I think it doesn't like the old nVidia 7300 video card this machine has. It finally displayed a desktop that was horribly corrupted. I was able to boot a 2008 Dell Inspiron 530 (3GB-onboard video) with it. Seemed to look and work ok, but I don't want to install it on that machine.

Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste
When offered the choice to try it (instead of installing), it hung with a black screen for about 8 min before finally displaying messages about a GPU lockup and several saying "failed to idle channel Xorg 4954".

Try it again: Sometimes with these NVIDIA and ATI/ AMD cards using live media is somewhere between black magic and voodoo. I have had that exact same thing happen only to shut 'er down and try 'er again and work.

The LTS releases get extra-long periods of testing (although nowhere near as pathologically-tested as Debian Stable or Red Hat/ CentOS) before the release is released; and they start with packages from Debian's "Testing" branch rather than the normal releases which take their packages from Debian's "Unstable" branch.

Canonical is pretty serious about the LTS releases being stable, solid and robust and ready for prime time when they're released. The LTS releases are the ones that Canonical holds up to the world and says "See what we're capable of!" while the 3 intermediate releases between LTS's are for the introduction of new features and the hammering-out of new technologies.

Thanks, I am going to play around with 14.04 some more on live USB and get used to it, maybe I will then upgrade in the future. For now though I'm pretty happy with 12.04.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back