Ubuntu 14.04 LTS just went "live"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The URL I gave you above will allow you to bypass their web site hoops to jump through, and is current.

There are also dozens of mirrors around the globe that went live, too. I grabbed mine from the University of Waterloo and the speed was terrific.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Yea I saw that. Just wondering, when does it go live on the website?

I am not sure! It must be quite a task getting all of those mirrors coordinated. Maybe they're trying to get those of us who were hitting REFRESH every 10 seconds since 6am to get it from elsewhere to avoid overloading their servers? :^)

I think Michigan State university hosts a mirror but it looks like it is getting hit pretty hard: I can't even get it to load up. Here is a running list of mirrors:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors - Find one that is up-to-date and has a fast connection and try 'er out. Many are slowed to a crawl right now, though.

Haha that could be... I was one of those who was hitting refresh.. not since 6 am though!
smile.gif

If I do the upgrade from 12.04 will all my personal files, installed programs, settings etc stay? The other question, can you do the upgrade from the terminal?

If I do the upgrade from 12.04 will all my personal files, installed programs, settings etc stay? The other question, can you do the upgrade from the terminal?

If you attempt to install Ubuntu from a DVD where a Ubuntu installation already exists, yes, you can upgrade and everything else will stay. I noticed this just last night. I had a desktop with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on it and I installed Xubuntu 13.10. It asked if I wanted to upgrade Ubuntu in place, install Xubuntu along side Ubuntu, or erase Ubuntu and install Xubuntu. So you can upgrade in place.

I'd like to know if this will be available in the software updates application, or if we'll have to use the ISO file on a disc and upgrade that way.

Just installed it, I've used 12.04 before and didn't really care for the Unity interface and I am still not crazy about it. After using Mint 16, I will be eagerly awaiting the LTS version coming in May.

How does Ubuntu compare with Mint, other than Mint being based off it? Six of one and half a dozen of the other?

A couple of things that I don't like about 14.04..

The edge scrolling on 14.04 is backwards to 12.04. Instead of going up for up and down for down, it's the other way around.

Also looks like you can't close full screen apps anymore?

I haven't found a way to change these yet..

Originally Posted By: hatt
How does Ubuntu compare with Mint, other than Mint being based off it? Six of one and half a dozen of the other?

They work much the same but have totally different user interfaces. I like both Mint and Ubuntu for different reasons.

The Update Manager ought to alert you to the new LTS and perform the upgrade for you. All of your data will remain, with your applications and underlying operating system updated.

You can also upgrade through the terminal with:

Code:
sudo update && sudo dist-upgrade

Originally Posted By: hatt

In response to Ubuntu's Unity interface (a fork of Gnome 3) not being too popular, the Mint folks forked Gnome 3 as well and created an interface that more closely adheres to a conventional desktop paradigm with a "Start" menu, taskbar, etc. They also added a few utilities and have replaced a few Ubuntu default applications with others. 99% of Mint is just Ubuntu with another look-and-feel.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Just installed it, I've used 12.04 before and didn't really care for the Unity interface and I am still not crazy about it. After using Mint 16, I will be eagerly awaiting the LTS version coming in May.

I've heard May; now I am hearing as late as July. Mint is a small, small team and they release "when it's ready".

A couple of things that I don't like about 14.04..

The edge scrolling on 14.04 is backwards to 12.04. Instead of going up for up and down for down, it's the other way around.

Also looks like you can't close full screen apps anymore?

I haven't found a way to change these yet..

I don't know about the edge scrolling - That sounds a bit odd. Try looking in [gear icon in upper right] - System Settings - Mouse & Touchpad.

To close a full-screen app you could always hit Esc or F11 if the app is really full-screen. If it is just maximized the window buttons (as well as the menus) will not appear unless and until you mouse over the task bar at the very top. I thought 12.04 was like as well, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back