Nissan oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know who makes them but all the ones I take off cars at work all say made in China, like Toyota/NDenso filters are all made in Thailand.

I wonder why Nissan oil filters were designed so small, heck most lawn mower oil filters are bigger!

AND Nissan's also have small oil pan capacities. My 3.5 liter Nissan Murano only hold 4.3 quarts. My 3.6 liter Chevy Impala holds 5.5 quarts.

My Navara (ZD30) has a cartridge style filter, and the Nissan elements are better made than any other that I've found for that application.

However, they are $37 (plus a 110km round trip for me), when I can pick up a Delco locally, or Donaldson on ebay for $12 less.

I can buy them direct from a factory that allegedly makes the OEM ones for $1.09US, F.O.B. provided I buy a pallet and ship them across.

Nissan filters suck, and they are ultra small with cardboard endcaps and the new ones might have metal encaps but they still suck, the holes in the center tube are so small and I've noticed that they have alot of metal shavings in the threads and seem kind of dirty even new. The new ones are made in mexico. I get a start up rattle when I used the oem nissan filters in my Rogue. No start up rattle using Wix or Puro Classic. However, I have completely gone with Wix after seeing the media failures on Puro Classics here on bitog. I used the larger Wix for my Rogue 57356.

Last edited:
I bought 10 Nissan/Infiniti filters in 2008, and I surely don't feel that they sucked. Small yes. But also heavy for the small size and painted white. Probably came before any were sourced from China. I've had no beefs with them.

nissan Factory installed oil filters are made in china, i was a little disapointed cause even the cheap parts store filters are made mostly here or mexico. Im sure it does the job though.

Here`s my Nissan OEM. All that fuzzy stuff on the media is just from me leaving it outside for awhile before I took the pics. Hacksaw I used to cut it open was so dull and old,it would barely cut,seemed to take me forever!

2qn313r.jpg

33vzq0y.jpg

25g6hyu.jpg

2hecbr4.jpg

2l8xz.jpg

2dqo9vp.jpg

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
How many miles on this oil filter? The media looks clean.

Whimsey

Had about 3000 or so. Valvoline VR1 20W50.

Quote:
AFAIK, most nissan filters are made by Fram in Canada/USA with cardboard endcaps...

If they were made in Canada in the past, they aren't any more. Fram/Rank shuttered the Stratford filter plant in late 2011, early 2012. No more Canadian made Fram filters.

Some fiber endcap Nissan oil filters were previously made in China, but recently some made in Mexico Nissan oil filters with metal end caps and silicone adbv's have been posted on this board.

The link Sayjac links to above was one I cut open.
It is one of the Mexican made ones Nissan started using about a year and a half ago. I was happy with their construction, metal end caps, silicone adbv. Pleats were spaced evenly and media was reasonably sturdy.
They used a Chinese supplier before these, and they were nothing impressive. Cardboard endcaps and cheap nitryle ADBV.

If you can get them for a reasonable price, I would use them. The Wix filters for the Nissan applications are well made as well.

That was a good link Cronk, thanks. I actually went back to the OEM filter after I saw your post and I'm currently 3500 miles into a run of PU with that filter on my 11 Altima. I'm sure it's doing the job but I'm thinking about moving up into the synthetic/metal screen-backed media filters like RP/Napa Plat/FU. Plus I paid about 10 bucks for the OEM filter and the FU's are going for around $9.

The filter is made by Gonher in Mexico. I poked around their site and it is their model GP-91 for the OEM Nissan filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back