Capacity variation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anything to capacity variation in a given brand of filter?

I've always used Hyundai filters and pre fill them, letting each little bit settle until it is full and have seen them take anywhere from 150ml to 250ml.

Originally Posted By: Sonataman
Is there anything to capacity variation in a given brand of filter?

Don't follow you. Do you mean between different brands of filters for the same vehicle? If so, then I'd suspect there would be a slight variation due to the volume of the guts in the can and even can size between different brands.

I don't pre-fill the filters for fear of spilling some oil as I install the filter. I literally try real hard not to spill a single drop of new oil. I also leave the bottle upside down in the funnel for an hour.

I always Prefill, (luckily all the cars so far have had a more or less vertical (can goes on threads up) filter head).
Doing My first OCI on the Sable, I was amazed at how much the FL400s actually took in. It literally took the majority of a Pint.
(car calls for 5.5 qts, bought an extra qt(already had the 5qt jug), filled a pint Mason jar from it, remainder went in the Filter. and on the next OC, That Filter will be Primed w/the oil from that Mason Jar.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Different media will soak up different volumes of oil at prefilling.

Agreed. I tried prefilling the same filter different ways, when I started a day before at 1/2 hour to 1 hour interval I can prefill up to 12-14 oz to have the oil level at 3/4 full. When I do 30-45 minutes before install the filter I can only add 8-10 oz to get the same level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back