Can I trust this tow strap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey y'all, I've been in the market for a tow strap to carry in the F150 and ran across THIS ONE on eBay. Does this look like a good quality one? Also, is the tow capacity of 6000 Lbs realistic? Thanks!

Ehhhh. After doing a bit of reading around Jeep forums, I'd prefer something with loops. No metal hooks.

Last edited:
That is barely capable, rated only for 6000 pounds. For an emergency, maybe, If you do much towing you would want something rated higher.

I like to get the biggest, hookless strap I can get. Don't want to send hooks through windows.

With winches a good rule of thumb is twice the weight of what you plan on winching. It's not a bad rule to follow with straps.

Absolutely, do not trust it. Those hook type straps are an injury/fatality waiting to happen. I wouldn't use that on my ATV, let a lone a vehicle. Off road driving is my hobby and every club and association I participate in strictly forbid them.

I highly recommend, at minimum, a 20,000 lb recovery strap.
In addition to a winch, I carry a Pro Comp 20K strap and tree saver sling in every off road vehicle I own.

gOOgle 20,000lb strap. You're looking at spending $25-$50 - a very worthwhile investment you don't want to skimp on.

I wouldn't worry about the hook flying, heck you use those to winch boats up.

You need to stay out of the danger zone when a cable/chain/strap/rope is under a lot of pressure. Big stuff will literally cut you in half.

The hook to me just seems like an unnecessary failure point.

Last edited:
Isn't the 6000 lbs rating for a rolling load? To them, it's a car with aired-up tires on level ground on pavement. To anyone else, it's a car in duress somehow.

Hooks are inherently dangerous, and totally unnecessary-the big ones with loops are the way to go. Loop one end around a frame or crossmember, other loop on a tow hook or ball mount, good to go.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Hooks are inherently dangerous, and totally unnecessary-the big ones with loops are the way to go. Loop one end around a frame or crossmember, other loop on a tow hook or ball mount, good to go.

Never strap via a ball mount. It's just as dangerous as having a $.50 hook on your strap. The off road world calls them 1 lb bullets.

Keep in mind also that the 6000# will be greatly exceeded when you are yanking someone out from stuck.

As stated earlier, ok for using to tow a vehicle, but for offroad recovery, 20k and no metal hooks.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Hey y'all, I've been in the market for a tow strap to carry in the F150 and ran across THIS ONE on eBay. Does this look like a good quality one? Also, is the tow capacity of 6000 Lbs realistic? Thanks!

no.

go for a quality one. without hooks
if you need it you can buy a highly rated d-shackle.

minimum I would get
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/smt-cc220/overview/

I had one of these
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/exp-330000/overview/

It never let me down.

Last edited:
i've used both loop style strap and hook straps.

I've never had a hook launch and wereck anything, i've only had the straps break.

not saying it can't happen but anyways i'm not an offroader by any means but i've pulled a fair share of stuck vehicles whether it out of the mud or snow (mostly snow)

i used to carry around a small short tow strap that i bought at fleet farm with metal safety hooks on both ends, when i pulled my brothers f150 out of the ditch a couple years ago with my 250 l/d I broke the large strap that had sewed loop ends, so i used the small strap with the hooks and got him out, still have the strap but i carry it around in my 4wheeler.

i guess it all depends mainly how what you are using it for and maybe how you use it.

anyways you can buy the loop ended strap and always put a hook through the loop if you really need to hook something.

Chain may be OK for pulling, but not recovery.

It has no give, does not multiply the force of the pulling vehicle (like a dedicated recovery strap) and if it breaks, can be very dangerous. If you yank on a late model car stuck in snow with a chain, you're going to break their car.

Nope. You will need a higher rating to get a stuck vehicle out. The weight of the vehicle plus the required pull form the tow vehicle will end up overloading that small strap.

Most towing/pulling of vehicles is not a high stress pull. The car is rolling, maybe even under some of its own power, and is steering. Less capable tow ropes/straps can be useful.

This one would be useful for pulling smaller stumps, dragging logs, or pulling cars out of snowy ditches.

I wouldn't use it for serious recovery work, though, and would use a high-rated strap with end loops and clevis'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back