Towing Question - can I tow this safely?

To each his own. I've had a tow dolly over 30 years which has no brakes and felt safe towing 4000 pounds over 1000 miles. Of course you drive extra cautious and keep a following distance like an 18 wheeler. The easier maneuverability and parking would make it my first choice in most any case.
That's actually illegal in many states.

Um, frankly a uhaul tow dolly would do much better in this scenario if its FWD, a ram 1500 will droop its butt hard without a weight distribution hitch but the tow dolly will feel much more planted. I see photos of Uhaul tow dollies with and without brakes, maybe call and ask first. Use low gears for downhill so your brakes dont roast.

Some good info here but that is heavy.... it ain't like pulling a greased sled though goose snot, unless you are trying to stop. Then it IS like greased sleds in goose snot.....

Yes, Mr. Critic. You can pull that load with that 1700 lb payload with no WDH unless you load the bed with lead or carry an elepeheghant in the cab. It's might heavy, and I'd be careful AF - but it can be done safely. I'd be hyper aware of all of my surroundings in that situation, because other drivers don't give a darn about a 1/2 ton towing 8k and every idiot that comes up in your mirrors is going to be THAT idiot.

Yup on everyone else saying tow dollies. So much easier......

Um, frankly a uhaul tow dolly would do much better in this scenario if its FWD, a ram 1500 will droop its butt hard without a weight distribution hitch but the tow dolly will feel much more planted. I see photos of Uhaul tow dollies with and without brakes, maybe call and ask first. Use low gears for downhill so your brakes dont roast.
Some of these Rams have the uber fancy air-leveling suspension. Or is that only Rebels?

Some of these Rams have the uber fancy air-leveling suspension. Or is that only Rebels?

Usually it's just found on more expensive trims but you can order it in the lower trims as well, at least it was an option when I ordered my truck.

Should be well within your truck's capabilities, I've towed a boat/trailer combo that was heavier with my previous GC, lol. It was definitely an easier tow behind the truck.

Reactions: D60
I own one of these uhaul trailers personally. You should be OK but thats a heavy load and really should add a weight distribution hitch. Keep it at 65mph or lower. Do not trust the tires. The ram 1500 also isnt a very good tow vehicle imo but it will do the job.

How did you manage to own a uhaul trailer? I’ve rented them many times over the years and always asked if they would sell them and get told the same thing. Nope, They run them till they are no good anymore and then scrap them. They refuse to sell any trailers to the public, worn out trucks… sure. But no trailer

How did you manage to own a uhaul trailer? I’ve rented them many times over the years and always asked if they would sell them and get told the same thing. Nope, They run them till they are no good anymore and then scrap them. They refuse to sell any trailers to the public, worn out trucks… sure. But no trailer

I did hear they sold some trailers way back in the day , but most I’ve rented receyhad stickers and tags on them that day never sold and if you possess it without a rental agreement it is stolen…

Local auction about 10 years ago. I still see them on occasion but they are rare.

I did hear they sold some trailers way back in the day , but most I’ve rented receyhad stickers and tags on them that day never sold and if you possess it without a rental agreement it is stolen…
I saw some for sale a few weeks ago. About $1200 for the tow dolly I believe. They were in good condition after being spruced up. Even had some of their pickups for sale, $28k Silverados. Just google "old Uhauls for sale" or Uhaul truck sales.
GetImage.jpeg-1.jpg
GetImage.jpeg-2.jpg
GetImage.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the advice. After exploring various options, it was ultimately cheaper (and more safer) to have AAA tow the vehicle back home. The only issue was time - the AAA vendor picked up the vehicle but gave the owner a 5 day ETA. They ultimately delivered the vehicle 1 day later, but this is still something to be aware of for long-distance tows.

Thanks for all of the advice. After exploring various options, it was ultimately cheaper (and more safer) to have AAA tow the vehicle back home. The only issue was time - the AAA vendor picked up the vehicle but gave the owner a 5 day ETA. They ultimately delivered the vehicle 1 day later, but this is still something to be aware of for long-distance tows.
Having followed this thread (albeit kept my mouth shut) you made the right choice. There's nothing more exciting than getting part way down a mountain and realizing that your trailer brakes are fried. Btdt.

You chose the best option for your, the public's, and the towed vehicle's safety!

I know it’s OBE for OP. Pretty sure the guy who bought a w124 from me sometime back did it with a pathfinder or xterra type suv with a uhaul trailer.

Not saying it was the best idea but he did it.

Last edited:
Back