Towing Question - can I tow this safely?

To each his own. I've had a tow dolly over 30 years which has no brakes and felt safe towing 4000 pounds over 1000 miles. Of course you drive extra cautious and keep a following distance like an 18 wheeler. The easier maneuverability and parking would make it my first choice in most any case.
Never said I wouldn't feel safe. I just said they're more of a PITA than they're worth when you have a flatbed available. Plus I prefer to have the towed car's wheels off the ground.

Last edited:
I'd do it all day long but I've done worse. What does U-haul say? They're usually KGB-esque about grilling you over details of tow vehicle and vehicle being towed.

I don't see any problem with this, you won't be pushing as much air as you would with a travel trailer that helps.
The last U-Haul car trailer I had was actually pretty decent and the surge brakes worked well. Just take your time.

To each his own. I've had a tow dolly over 30 years which has no brakes and felt safe towing 4000 pounds over 1000 miles. Of course you drive extra cautious and keep a following distance like an 18 wheeler. The easier maneuverability and parking would make it my first choice in most any case.
How much experience on mountain downhills? Also think first timer here and inexperienced and a rental…

Give her! Dump some gears and go slow down hill, will be fine. I've done plenty of heavy half ton hero towing with my 2011 Ram 1500. 8,000 pounds would have been on the light side.

Should be 55mph rating on trailer (was when I rented one but yrs ago)- go 55mph O/D off and slow down the mountains, you'll be fine.

I own one of these uhaul trailers personally. You should be OK but thats a heavy load and really should add a weight distribution hitch. Keep it at 65mph or lower. Do not trust the tires. The ram 1500 also isnt a very good tow vehicle imo but it will do the job.

Back