Warning : Over vs. Under Tighten Oil Filters !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
when i worked at a service center on a couple rare occasions when i removed the oil filter on a couple 3.1's the whole stand-pipe tube came out of the block with it......those filters were way overtightened obviously.

Wow, never heard of that happening.

It was mainly only filters that were put on at the Pennzoil 10 minute oil change place across town.

Once me or any of the guys saw the yellow can on any vehicle, we knew we were in for a treat....

As many of you do I mark and tighten exactly the stated 3/4 turn from when the filter gasket just barely touches.
The technology at play here is an O-ring. Oil pressure forces the rubber into the corner of the groove - the higher the pressure the tighter it seals. The initial tightness only provides a preload and compensation for elastic flexing of the joint under pressure.

Apparently, the factory installed filters must use the 2-3-4 turns after contact because they are always a real pain to get off.

I'm a 3/4 turn after contact with a cup wrench. I don't trust the "hand-tight" method since that will vary depending on how much beer is in my shop frig.

Some filters have instructions to tighten 2/3 - 3/4 past gasket contact. Others say to hand tighten. I've always used the 3/4 turn method for both.

I've always done my own oil and filter changes. Been doing them for 40+ years. Never had a filter come loose. Never had a leak at the oil filter. And never have I had a hard time getting a filter off. There is no reason to over think this. Follow the manufacturer's instructions.

I had a Jeep 4.0L engine where the stand pipe came off with the filter. The filter was NOT too tight but, attributed it to the manufacture did not tighten the stand pipe correctly. Ed

After hundreds of changes over nearly 30 years, I can't remember a filter that had a gasket thick enough to stand 2-3 turns after contact. The base plate would have ground into the mounting plate long before that.

I had a bad experience with a NAPA Gold one time. 3/4 turn caused the base plate to make contact with the mounting plate, so I backed it off slightly. Didn't have a good feeling about the whole process, so I checked the garage floor the next morning - sure enough - several drips on floor. Clearly the gasket wasn't thick enough.

Was so mad I didn't even take the filter back. Just changed, probably to a P1, and threw the NAPA away.

Originally Posted By: IGotYourBack
You want it 'uuuhhh' tight.

Someone mentioned spark plugs...you want those just 'uh' tight with a ratchet.
LOL

I make my oil filters 'uuhh' tight and my spark plugs 11 ft/lbs per the factory service manual.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Originally Posted By: IGotYourBack
You want it 'uuuhhh' tight.

Someone mentioned spark plugs...you want those just 'uh' tight with a ratchet.
LOL

I make my oil filters 'uuhh' tight and my spark plugs 11 ft/lbs per the factory service manual.

I make my filters 2/3 ~ 3/4 turn from gasket contact and my spark plugs also 11 ft-lbs.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back