Warning : Over vs. Under Tighten Oil Filters !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mark the filter, hand tighten it as far as I can (not easy due to restricted space) and then gently wrench it to 1 turn. Works like a charm.

I go one turn for many years now..except on my daughters lincoln which requires 1.5 turns …no matter how many times I would evaluate the situation…more then 1 turn was always needed...

Last edited:
I just turn the air compressor up to 150psi and hit it with the 1/2" impact for 20 seconds. Never had an issue with them ever coming off.
grin.gif

It could be that different manufs have differing thread pitches. So 3/4 turn on a chevy is not equal to 3/4 on an import or whatever.

The gasket seems to get tighter and more sticky as times goes on. A hand tightened filter needs a wrench to come off after the OCI.

I only turn mine 1/2 turn. I don't want to spend hours messing with a crushed filter later.

A good rule of thumb is as tight as a semi oily hand can get it.

I get the oil filter as tight as possible (by hand). Tired of having the filter leak at 3,000 miles and having to put the SUV on a lift and remove the engine cover for access.

Here the consensus is to tighten the filter as much as you can by hand(within common sence, ofcourse some people are stronger then other) and they never come loose. But usually require a filter wrench to loosen again.

Wow this is a problem? I tighten them "pretty tight" by hand. That usually results in barely able to get it off by hand when it's time to change. Rare occasions a wrench is needed. Been working for 25 years.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Wow this is a problem? I tighten them "pretty tight" by hand. That usually results in barely able to get it off by hand when it's time to change. Rare occasions a wrench is needed. Been working for 25 years.

Same here, But never a wrench needed , Would have helped lol

i tighten them reasonably tight by hand, if by some chance i dont feel its tight enough i may use a wrench for just a little extra.

when i worked at a service center on a couple rare occasions when i removed the oil filter on a couple 3.1's the whole stand-pipe tube came out of the block with it......those filters were way overtightened obviously.

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
when i worked at a service center on a couple rare occasions when i removed the oil filter on a couple 3.1's the whole stand-pipe tube came out of the block with it......those filters were way overtightened obviously.

Wow, never heard of that happening.

I tighten as much by hand and theen use band wrench for just a little extra
Been ok with this for over 40 yrs
Never had a leak or problem removing

Get it as tight as I can by hand and then a touch with the filter wrench. Never in my life did I have a leak or couldn't get the filter back off.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I tighten it as tight as i can by hand, then i snug it slightly by feel with a band wrench.

That's my method too. On securely yet still comes off easy with the wrench.

Totally by feel. I get them snug-tight, regardless of how many turns. 99% of the time I can unscrew them by hand. Never had one leak. Not one.

I over tighten spin-on oil filter with a cap wrench by at least 1/2 turn after hand tight. Never had any spin-on oil filter back out. The same cap wrench is needed to remove the over tighten filter.

Originally Posted By: waltywalt
Get it as tight as I can by hand and then a touch with the filter wrench. Never in my life did I have a leak or couldn't get the filter back off.

+1 - same for me.

I've told this before, but I was once moonlighting doing oil changes on the side. A truck driver at a lumber yard I serviced caught me the next Saturday after I serviced his truck and informed me that the oil filter had backed off on his truck. I must have had a really shocked look, because he started laughing and said he knew it wasn't my fault when it did the same thing again a few miles later. They had the truck checked and the oil pump was putting out over 150 psi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back