Talk me out of this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
2010 nissan frontier 4 cyl, 2008 toyota yaris 4 cyl, 2001 toyota Avalon 6 cyl could I use napa extended life 50/50 coolant and just drain and fill yearly and be ok

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
yearly? a waste.

wonder if the op means changing the coolant in the radiator yearly ?

Last edited:
Just do a drain & fill... then change it out again say in another week or so. Then change it according to instructions which is probably in another 5 years.

Yeah just drain the radiator no flush or anything else. Everybody thinks this would work

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
yearly? a waste.

I agree, even if doing just a simple rad. d&f.

I've not looked it up, but willing to wager Napa branded EL is what's commonly referred to here as a universal dexclone containing 2eha as an active inhibitor. Very similar to Prestone AM/M and Peak LL/EL. Even those are rated to ~5 years, so every year is overkill and wasteful imo.

That said, if I was looking to use one AF for all those vehicles, I'd choose full strength Peak Global Lifetime or G-05 in that order. Make a 50/50 AF/distilled mix on your own and save money. Buying a premix if you don't have to is a waste of money. Full strength and distilled would be less expensive especially for all the vehicles you intend on doing.

Whatever you choose though, every year in not necessary even with simple rad. d&f. My .02

As per the MSDS on the NAPA site, their ELC is made by Old World Industries. Therefore, it is a Peak type coolant; an OAT without silicates, phosphates, or borates. The interval for an OAT coolants (also known as ELC), goes up to 5 years. Then, as mentioned above, changing an ELC on a yearly basis is sort of an overkill. You can even safely do a one year interval with regular IAT (that is silicates) without any problems, for the silicates will not be spent in such a short span. Normally the IAT coolants lasts for up to two years.

But the answer to your question is yes, you can safely use NAPA ELC and change it on a yearly basis in the vehicles you listed.

Thanks a lot great information it's on sale all month for 5.99 a gallon just thought it was time to start maintenance on these vehicles

I'll add one other consideration since Napa EL premix universal AM/M dexclone as I speculated (same as Peak LL) is what's being used. I don't know what type of AF is in each vehicle now, but if it's some type oem, most likely based on vehicles' year it's an older shorter life Asian P-Hoat. If 'my' vehicles 'I' would not mix an Asian PHoat with a 2eha based universal dexclone, or really anything other than another Asian PHoat. Despite what the Napa 'compatibility' chart implies, no Asian Oem AF use 2eha as an inhibitor, which is used in Napa EL. Is it safe to mix with the Asian oem? Maybe, or...

Not trying to talk you out of anything though, trying to help with an informed decision. Your call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back