Who made this filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found an old used K-mart Motorvator filter in my garage today. It is a PH43 equivelent. I used it on my truck about 5 years ago and saved it because it was the only filter that didn't make the worn mains and rods clatter untill they got oil pressure.

So being a true BITOG kinda person I cut it open today.

BTW: I have no way of posting pics of it but I'll describe it as best as possible.

8 same size round holes in the baseplate. Bypass valve is at the threaded end.

Cardboard end caps!...........With a string tied around the element
confused.gif
Fram/Purolater mix?

Also has the flat spring at the non threaded end that seals the inner filter tube like a Fram.

Whe ya think made this?
dunno.gif

Can you post pictures. There have been a couple Purolator made, store badged filters with cardboard endcaps. I thought K-mart filters were made by Wix, but I don't recognize that brand. The anti-drain back valve would be the give away.

-T

My guess is Fram...

I'd be about 99% sure of this..

Fram uses ( or used) the string to hold the element together during manufacuring to allow them to put the "cardboard" endcaps on. The string has no relivance to the performance of the media. Something widely misstated by competitiors.

The kmart motorvator oil filters i had bought years ago said right on the box that they were made by purolator the penski oil filters were the ones made by wix. BUT if your motorvator oil filter has cardboard endcaps then it might be a fram. I have read that some purolator premium plus oil filters used cardbard endcaps although all of the the ones i have cut apart had metal endcaps. The only way to tell who made it is to compare the baseplate to a fram and a purolator.

It's most definately a purolator. Some purolator designs use cardboard endcaps for whatever reason. I think your filter just happens to be one of them.

I think they are made by Purolator,the name is even close,Motorvator.

Also,Purolator has been known for some time to have as string tied around the element.this is one of their 'trade marks' in identifing them when cut open.

You can check out a filter study by Russ Knize,(Google Search),I believe he is the one that noticed several Purolator made filters with the string around the element.

It has also been stated by others that in a few applications that Purolator uses cardboard endcaps.

Fram may use the string around the element but I dont think I have heard of this before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back