1996 Civic D16Y7 Oil advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys I need help deciding an oil for my 1996 Civic LX.

The Car burns around 1 quart in 300 miles then doesn't burn anything for the next 300 or so, most random oil burning issue I have ever seen, my 1.6L ZC JDM in the 2000 honda civic did the exact same, random oil burning, not consistent.

GSCJR in another thread said "Typically though you will find the root cause is stuck rings with these 1.6's", which I found to be true from a rebuild of another D16Y7 I had personally seen so, I will be doing an engine rebuild come summer 2015.

Oil choices all with a Fram Ultra oil filter.
1. Rotella T6 5w40 ($5 Mail in Rebate)
2. Maxlife SynBlend 10w40 ($5 off coupon)
3. Maxlife Full Synthetic 10w40(does it come in this weight?)
4. Certified 10w40 case for $13.38 at a sams club here.

Currently the car has an oil change 6k miles ago with ST 5w30 Full Synthetic, and I have been using some left over QSUD 5w20 for top off oil. It has a STP oil filter installed mid oil change as I had to replace a completely disconnected PCV Valve.

Should I keep doing what I have been doing as it is constantly getting fresh oil?
Or should I change it out to a heavier oil with a fram ultra oil filter?
my intention would be to keep the oil change until the rebuild in summer 2015, if i do decide to change out.

Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30
thumbsup2.gif

No need to use a more expensive oil if you have a consumer. See if the grade increase will help slow consumption down until you can repair your engine.

I would be tempted just to keep your engine topped off and just swap filters every once in a while, if consumption is that dramatic.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

No need to use a more expensive oil if you have a consumer. See if the grade increase will help slow consumption down until you can repair your engine.

I would be tempted just to keep your engine topped off and just swap filters every once in a while, if consumption is that dramatic.

I think your right.

Update: used Maxlife 10w40 with Bosch oil filter, 1k into the OCI and the car hasn't burned any oil at all, its completely shocking as I would still assume some oil burning...

Now if the car continues to not burn any oil, how long should an OCI with maxlife be? is 7500 considered safe? any UOA on maxlife with longer then 5k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back