Nightmare oil filter removal story _ pics coming-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: chad8
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Wow, it survived anyway as did the car. I tend to believe the PO as quickie lube places not bothering to change the filter is seemingly rather common. Dummies.

How old or how many miles do you think that filter has? Here is another tecselect filter with 3400 miles on it cut open. Mine looks really bad compared to it although it was intact..
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1786975

I am just guessing of course but if oil was really being changed at 3k, I'd bet that cheapie filter has been through at least 3 or 4 OCI's. Give it a purple heart.

What do you mean "cheapie filter" . That is one of the famous Mighty off brand Purolator Classic's that were a favorite on here until someone decided that they are worse than the O.C.O.D.
You are right. It was wounded in the line of duty. I tend to agree that it was on there probably 7000-10000 miles and maybe more. It was still doing its job, just not very well. The oil i removed looked decent so I believe the po. He lived in an apartment and relied on quick oil change shops . He bought the car in 2009 when it had 88000 miles. He was an engineer and took good care of his stuff from what i could tell.

By "cheapie" I mean it's probably about a 2-3 buck filter, that's all. Not intended as an insult it clearly was pushed way beyond its intended useage and still managed to hold together. I'm a big fan of cheapie filters in that price bracket myself, lately the Napa Silvers.

Some here will pay much more for a filter, that would not be me. At 6 bucks for a Tough Guard I've hit my limit, and that is for extended OCI's only.

I hear you loud and clear. I haven't paid over $5 for a filter EVER. If i go for an extended oci with synthetic, I change the $1-$4 filter after a year.
People on this site really have not got a handle on what really makes cars run a long time.
Oil and filters (and not boutique ones) are just part of the equation.
I know that guys like you do not think that anybody on here doing lab testing and running $50 home oil changes is really getting much added benefit .
By the time it pays off , they will have sold the car.
Enough of my ranting. Going out for a drive on my $5 frankenbrew oil change.

I've had some Ford (3.0 Duratec) factory filters on very tight. It took me about an hour, and a trip to AAP to buy a strap wrench. That didn't help. The filter started to crush, crack, and leak before I got it loose. That's when I knew I had to get it off, or it was a tow to the dealer.

I was at the auto show a while back and they had a Chevy Ecotec 2.4 4I engine cutaway on a stand for demo. This guy was talking to another guy and kind of badmouthing the oil filter, which uses an element that you drop into the canister on the side of the block, as opposed to a spin oil that is usually sideways and hard to get off especially without getting oil everywhere.

I have an Ecotec and you just unscrew the plastic lid on top and replace the element, nothing spills out. I think coolant runs around the filter in the block which helps the engine moderate the oil temperature along with the coolant. I hope my next engine uses the same setup, especially since I bought the special socket to remove the lid, which can also be on pretty tight. I had to use an impact wrench the first time I changed it but with the socket that was easy. I couldn't budge it with a regular ratchet.

My worst filters was at work.
I was doing an oilchange on a Volvo FH12 normaly it takes 5 mins to replace the 3 oilfilters on those engines but here it took 4,5hours and 4 people.

Me and another was in the pit under it trying to help each other push on the filters and the other two were standing in the wheelwell and pulling on them with a chain a 1meter (40") extension on the filters.
We had to tilt the cab and thats normaly not needed for an oilchange on a volvo.
One thing that impressed me was that even though we twisted the **** out of the metalcan it did never break. They were Volvo original filters.

Guess the idiot who put them on screwed them on untill they bottomed out.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I've had some Ford (3.0 Duratec) factory filters on very tight. It took me about an hour, and a trip to AAP to buy a strap wrench. That didn't help. The filter started to crush, crack, and leak before I got it loose. That's when I knew I had to get it off, or it was a tow to the dealer.

I just sold my vulcan taurus. I had it 5 years. There was a reason I used the motorcraft filters besides them being cheap.
Because they were purolator , they had thick cans. With that long a filter ,I see where a cheaper made filter could crush very easily. I see a ton of duratec's at the u-pull yard i go to. That filter does not look like fun.
These tiny filters on my Toyota's are normally a 5 minute job. This one was a half hour and i did not change the oil. Just an 8 ounce top off.

I have always had a tough time with the filter removal on a new car at first oil change. I keep a Lisle filter wrench in the tool box and it works every time for a tight filter.

It seems to me that the filter on the daughter's Corolla tightens over time. The 10-12k OCIs The OCOD she buys, was tight enough to require the modified filter wrench I made for these times. Its a small band that has the handle removed to shorten it and a bit of rag to take up the slack on the band. I hand tighten the filters and they always come off harder than they go on
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I ended up using a pipe wrench on the first filter to come off my old Chevy Venture. Crushed the heck out of it.

The boat filter post earlier has to be the winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back