filling up when the refueling tanker is their.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always heard not to fill up at a gas station if you see the tanker truck their filling the gas station up due to it stirring up dirt/debris at the bottom. Anyone have any opinion on this?

It's a debate around here. I try not to do it, but the places I fill up all have modern pumps with filters on them. When I do catch a tanker, I've still yet to have a problem.

I don't chance it, when that tanker is at the station I pass it up.

One thing I have noticed is that around this area (upstate SC) the tankers seem to be at the stations around midnight or so. I work a second shift so I often come home around that time and spot them at various stations even on weekends.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I don't chance it, when that tanker is at the station I pass it up.

One thing I have noticed is that around this area (upstate SC) the tankers seem to be at the stations around midnight or so. I work a second shift so I often come home around that time and spot them at various stations even on weekends.

They show up frequently at peak driving hours over where I'm at.

I try to avoid it, but when I can't I make extra sure to keep the receipt.

My sister filled up about 5 years ago at a 76 gas station and she got sediment in her fuel lines. 76 paid for an entirely new fuel system.

I wouldn't fuel up if I didn't have to but I have done it I admit. But they also recommend not to fuel up leaving the car running but we all do it at work to keep the computers from draining the car battery and nothing has blown up yet!

It's probably not as much of an issue with the newer fiberglass underground tanks. It was an issue with the older steel underground tanks. That said, I still try to avoid filling when a tanker is dropping a load.

Been discussed many times.
You need to use google to properly search BITOG. Use "XXXXX site:bobistheoilguy.com", where XXXXX is your search term.

No, your car won't explode. There are filters in the dispensers and in your vehicle. Modern underground fuel tanks are fiberglass, and not rusted out steel. Worry about other things in life.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I think a member here caught a gas station changing filters one day. Iirc they are 2 micron filters. I wouldn't worry about it.

There is the filter right in the nozzle hose and I bet there are others before that. I don't know how any car's fuel filter would ever get clogged these days, unless you are careless and get dirt in the filler hole.

These new capless systems might be more susceptible to dirt intrusion.

My local Texico station uses 5u filters in the fuel delievery system and I've seen them being changed. I still don't fuel up when the tanker is unloading. Ed

If I HAVE to, I pick the pump that is the farthest away from the tanks. How many gallons on gas will there be in a couple hundred feet of pipe... quite a bit! I may get what I need, from the gas that was sitting in the pipes before he ever showed up.

If anything, the station's suction filters will remove any potential impurities. So, fillup there while they're loading bunkers, since their filters will retain any impurities.

Last edited:
I always avoid using a gas station in which the tanker truck is filling the tanks. However, what are the chances that the tanker just left the station two minutes before we show up!!!!! lol

Originally Posted By: DaHen
I always avoid using a gas station in which the tanker truck is filling the tanks. However, what are the chances that the tanker just left the station two minutes before we show up!!!!! lol

Very true. Some of these busy stations will actually have the tanker show up 2 times a day. Honestly now that I've got to thinking about this, it's probably better if you do fill up when the truck is their since if there is any water in the tank it will get stirred up instead of sitting at the bottom getting picked up by the pickup tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back