I think WM is trying to trick me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found something new tonight at WM....Quaker State Synthetic Blend in 5w30 flavor...right next to Pennzoil's Dexos Blend. Makes me wonder if it is also a 50/50 blend as well...

That part that threw me was the fact that it is in the same exact bottle as QSUD! I get the feeling a bunch of people will be buying the blend instead...

Price was 16.94 for the jug.......

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Interesting find! Does it mention DEXOS approval or natural gas?

It is Dexos approved....

According to data sheets, QSED Syn Blend is different to QS Dexos Syn Blend and ED is pretty poor.

But Pennzoil Dexos Syn Blend is identical to Pennzoil Gold Syn Blend.

Assuming you reference to "same" bottle is based on the markings on the plastic bottle (typically on the bottom). If so, isn't it possible that they may use the same bottle vendor for packaging different formulations from the same (holding) company?

What am I not reading correctly in the OP?

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Please delete

Why, is it that bad....as I was joking about the Wal Mart part...

Was a bit excited about finding a new oil....even if it was by accident! Hence the trick me part, as the bottle (in this case jug) is the SAME gold color as QSUD, which might not be the best idea...

I was simply showing to my wife what oil was going into her car next....sheesh!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dgsbikes
Assuming you reference to "same" bottle is based on the markings on the plastic bottle (typically on the bottom). If so, isn't it possible that they may use the same bottle vendor for packaging different formulations from the same (holding) company?

What am I not reading correctly in the OP?

Yes, same markings (but it says Blend instead of full syn), but gold jug and all, looks like a QSUD jug....

But side by side, they look quite close to the same......

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Please delete

Was a bit excited about finding a new oil....even if it was by accident! Hence the trick me part, as the bottle (in this case jug) is the SAME gold color as QSUD, which might not be the best idea...

smile.gif

I meant my post.

Yours was interesting. I went and checked out the data sheets.

According to data sheets, QSED Syn Blend is different to QS Dexos Syn Blend and ED is pretty poor.

How much different? I think (mind you opinion here), that in order to be dexos cert'd, both these blends are different then their blend counterparts. I'd guess that the old blends would be a 70/30 blend (dino/syn), and the dexos blend would be more of a 50/50 mix in order to meet the dexos spec...

In watching many GM engines destroy the Delco dexos blend, I'd like to think that the SOPUS would have upped the game a little..though even at 16.97/17.97 (QS/Pen) picking up QSUD for a few bucks more (21.97) seems the better option there....

Please delete

smile.gif

I meant my post.

Yours was interesting. I went and checked out the data sheets.

Oh, whew! I was wondering if it came off as a drunk post or something like that!
blush.gif
I know I've been on this site a while when I have to come home and blurt out what I found here on BITOG....didn't help I was trying the type the post while putting my son to bed for the night.....
smile.gif

And if I can stop at WM on my way home from work tomorrow night, I'll try to get pics this time (had my wife's non-camera phone tonight)

*Edit- The same bottle is on QS's website, looks just like that, label and all, but in a jug......

Last edited:

How much different? I think (mind you opinion here), that in order to be dexos cert'd, both these blends are different then their blend counterparts. I'd guess that the old blends would be a 70/30 blend (dino/syn), and the dexos blend would be more of a 50/50 mix in order to meet the dexos spec...

In watching many GM engines destroy the Delco dexos blend, I'd like to think that the SOPUS would have upped the game a little..though even at 16.97/17.97 (QS/Pen) picking up QSUD for a few bucks more (21.97) seems the better option there....

A former Pennzoil employee said that older Pennzoil blends had a much higher group III content for it's blends. A lot closer to 50%.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

A former Pennzoil employee said that older Pennzoil blends had a much higher group III content for it's blends. A lot closer to 50%.

Might be closer to 60/70 now maybe...

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Interesting. Does it say 50 percent syn like it's big brother does, or do they leave you guessing?

Nope..going to have to call to find out it....

Called..they weren't sure how much syn...

also said not to use it as an extended drain....

A Quart is 5.17 at wal mart too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back