Bought a Ruger LC9 - Any concerns to look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a LC9 from my buddy. Here in West Michigan this is a $400 gun, paid $250. Been shot 49 times is what my friend told me. SUPER excited, want to keep this one a long time. Wondering if any one has maintenance tips or other items to look for?

I would go ahead and field strip it , clean and lube it. I would put a few boxes of your carry ammo through it to make sure it cycles well.

Will do. I am not going to be shooting soon, the snow is too deep! I have to pick up some ammo, only have 40 rounds of hollow point. 9mm Ammo is easier to find than 22LR here. I am going to get my conceal carry this spring, this is the gun I will carry.

I hope you aren't practicing with hollow points...that's what FMJ is for. HP's hopefully will never have to be used in any pistols I own.

I had a friend call last night and went to an indoor range. Bought 100 rounds of FMJ. Shot around 48 through the gun. No issues. I was very happy! I hope I never need to use HP's either. I will put them in the clip when I carry concealed. FMJ will be used at the range.

Guys you absolutely must run some hollow points in your gun.
They are different on the nose end and some guns are picky about feeding them. Try at the very least a couple magazines (pistols don't use clips)with any carry ammo you intend to use.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
They are different on the nose end and some guns are picky about feeding them. Try at the very least a couple magazines (pistols don't use clips)with any carry ammo you intend to use.

Yes!

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
I hope you aren't practicing with hollow points...that's what FMJ is for. HP's hopefully will never have to be used in any pistols I own.

???

JHPs are very popular for practice. Many of them are more accurate than FMJ and the jacketed base means little lead vaporization.

For those of us who reload, the price difference is negligible.

JHPs won't harm your gun.

Originally Posted By: bradepb

Absolutely agree! I have a LC-9 and it is a nice little shooter. I did upgrade the guide rod to a steel one, about 700 rounds through mine with no issue's at all. It is my EDC during the summer months. I like to carry my SR40C during the winter months. Keep your LC9 properly cleaned and lubed, you won't have any issue's with it. BTW, I bought a 100 round value pack of WWB yesterday at Meijer's here in Norton Shores for $26.xx, FMJ.

Keep it dry or the slide finish will pit/rust.

I have issues with my thumb pushing the magazine release when I shoot it one handed.

Use FMJ for practice, but you have to run HP through it to prove its reliability with them.

If you have an LC9 that does not have a pinned front sight, be aware that it may wander. Ruger sent me a new pinned-sight slide and I returned the old one in the same package.

I removed the magazine interlock.

It's pretty accurate. Don't worry about any differences in accuracy between FMJ and HP. It won't be enough to worry about at the distances this is intended to be useful at.

For such a small pistol, it is comfortable to shoot both one and two handed. Ruger carefully optimized it for CCW. Mine likes Hornady Critical Defense and FMJ. I loaded a mix in my mags once just to see how it would run. No problems. At the risk of being a fanboy, it's really hard to go wrong with a Ruger, IMO.

I'm a huge proponent of responsible self defense. I have all the best tools. I like to put several hundred rounds of JHP through the gun to make sure it is reliable. Of course that used to be cheaper way back when than it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back