Considering Straight Talk Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently, we have two Verizon "basic" phones attached to an old family plan (700 minutes, X a month for the first line and $10 for each additional line). It's getting to the point that we should have / want smartphones, but of course would like to keep the bill down as much as possible, so I've been looking into Straight Talk and just looking for some feedback about any pitfalls I should be worried about or anything I'm missing.

Some considerations:
- We need to be on either AT&T or Verizon network, with a strong preference for Verizon. Both get service at home but AT&T is not as reliable in our exact location. I believe this means we need a phone that is CDMA-V, which it appears to be the Samsung Galaxy Proclaim. How would I go about checking if other phones are CDMA-V? Do I need to go to WM and physically check the box?
- I don't have another strong preference to a specific phone other than perhaps an iphone. I've read a lot that iphone on StraightTalk is only AT&T - is this the case?
- We need to be able to port our current numbers. It seems fairly easy to do online, but seeing as the customer service is apparently pretty bad I'm wondering if anyone has experience / a general warning here.

Whats the best route to go through, in a local store or keep everything online?

Any other thoughts / comments? Good idea / bad idea? Pitfalls, etc.? Thanks!

Have you looked at PagePlus? My wife converted her Verizon phone to that, and she's been quite satisified. I will likely join someday, but my Tracphone has been good enough. Maybe if I ever find a good deal on an iPhone.

ST should have on their site, if you enter in zip code, phones that work in your area. I believe if the model has a G in it is GSM, if it has a C it is CDMA. IIRC CDMA is Verizon/AT&T, while GSM is Sprint (and has a smaller network). Been too long.

I had a ST, it was fine, but found I didn't use the web like I thought I might, so when I lost the phone it was a bummer but not quite a massive loss.

^Thanks - I might just be too dense to get it, but the bulk of the Android phones that I see online on ST's website don't have the lettering system (G,C) at the end of the name - actually that is what had me confused. I've seen that on a most if not all of the basic phones have that notation.

Buying a phone and getting no-contract service is the way to go.

Double check the phone before you sign up for it. T-Mobile, AT&T and Consumer Cellular are all GSM. Verizon is CDMA. My Droid 2 had both once I unlocked the baseband.

+1 for Pageplus. Buy a used Verizon smart phone on ebay and put it on Pageplus. Very easy and you'll save every month.
Almost forgot. Pageplus uses Verizon towers.

Last edited:
Skip the Galaxy Proclaim. Android 2.3 should be a no go... Look for 4.0 or better (e.g., Galaxy Centura). Skip the ZTE Valet, Wifi reception is not very good with it.

I have an Android on Tracfone (TF owns Straight Talk). Mine runs on Verizon and I am happy with it.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
+1 for Pageplus. Buy a used Verizon smart phone on ebay and put it on Pageplus. Very easy and you'll save every month.
Almost forgot. Pageplus uses Verizon towers.

I agree , check out Page Plus before you do anything. I have a home computer so I ditched the smart phone although you can use them on Page Plus. I just do the 12 plan on auto renew. 250 minutes and 250 texts and a small data amount for 12 dollars a month. This works for me but they have several other plans at some good pricing.

Interesting... So I can activate my old Verizon flip phone with Page Plus on a minimalistic plan?
https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/

My input to this thread is to avoid resellers who resell Sprint because Sprint's coverage is so poor. If you subscribe to Sprint directly you get decent service because they have roaming agreements, but resellers only get native Sprint coverage.

We have one phone on Straight Talk for almost 2 years and have been happy with the service etc. Only draw back is if you have to call customer service, it is an experience!

We we signed up with Straight Talk we were careful to select a phone that operates on the Verizon network vs. some of the other networks that they lease towers/time from.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Interesting... So I can activate my old Verizon flip phone with Page Plus on a minimalistic plan?
https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/

My input to this thread is to avoid resellers who resell Sprint because Sprint's coverage is so poor. If you subscribe to Sprint directly you get decent service because they have roaming agreements, but resellers only get native Sprint coverage.

That's what my wife did. Well, it was a slider phone, same diff. $4/month, as she barely uses it? Something like that. Crazy cheap. I'd switch but I'm doing ok with my Tracphone that costs me $6/month, and I'd have to find a used phone I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back