Next-generation Tundra to get cummins diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I coulda sworn I had seen a site that did an mpg test while towing. And it was impressive--like 20 while pulling several thousand pounds. Diesels tend to drop less mpg under load--less of a need to drop down a gear, less frictional losses, probably other factors too. Until Ecoboost came along one either went diesel to get lots of umph at low rpm--or just got the biggest motor they could.

My wife's Camry has more hp but less tq than my Jetta. I've always preferred how my engine lays down power off idle though, while the Camry needs rev's to do anything. Pure personal opinion. I like how diesel drives, but for my mild usage the TCO simply isn't there.

Diesels lost a lot of their advantage over gas motors in the past 10-20 years, modern good fuel injection really closed the gap between the two.

Back in the 80's the advantages were large, even in the 90's. But these days the gas motors are cheaper to run and last just as long.

Part of the reason is the silly modern emissions regulations that really hurt diesels in this country.

Set up properly (good gearing, properly sized motor for the load, etc.) a diesel will get better mpg unloaded and towing lighter loads, as well as in applications with significant idle time. However, if you're towing heavily loaded in the mountains, the mpg difference shrinks a lot as both engines are under enough load to be close to peak efficiency. The key is that gas engine efficiency drops off faster as you stray from that peak while a diesel has a better load / fuel consumption curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back