1994 Camry Sitting For A Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a Ford Expedition that sat for about a year aside from a jump start or two.

For a year, I wouldn't really worry too much about the gas.

I'd probably pull the battery out and put it on a charger. Better that then straining the alternator trying to charge a completely dead battery. While the battery is on the charger I'd go around and check the tire pressures (and check the tires for any rot), check the oil level, and make sure no animals made nests under the hood.

Thats about it. Clean the terminals when you put the battery back in and crank it up.

I have a porsche 944 that isn't being driven thats sat since 2005 before I started tinkering with it. One of the fuel injectors wasnt firing so I replaced it with one out of a junkyard and the thing actually idles pretty smooth on 8 year old gas. Every once in awhile I will let it idle for an hour but without tags to drive the car I'm probably going to have to drain the tank to get that old gas out of there.

Put me in the camp of -

Rent/borrow battery charger
Check oil level
Crank her up!

It'll probably start like it was driven yesterday.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Go buy a new battery. Charge the new battery first. Install battery.Check the oil. Hit the key. Let it idle for 5 minutes. Drive it to the nearest gas station and fill it up with gas. Then drive it to the nearest car wash and get the deluxe wash. Drive it home. Change the oil & filter. Enjoy.

Skip all the chemical additives...maybe give it some gumout in the gas after a week or two. Absolutely NO NEED to rotate the engine or do anything but start it up.

I agree, mine sat for 6 mo 1994 4 cyl, gas gage would not work for a week then slowly started responding as we drove it more, had 140k on it gave to my son, he drove it to 200k, sold it, a great car. new camrys have shorter front seats and many other cost cutting things

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Add a bottle of dry gas to absorb any moisture from phase separated fuel. After you fill up maybe a can of chemtool b-12.

This is incorrect information. Do you know what phase separation really is? Once fuel has gone into phase separation, the tank must be dumped and refilled with fresh gas. Nothing will fix it.

No harm in charging the battery and testing it before you consider replacing it. But you don't want the alternator to have to charge a dead battery.

Do you have E-10 gas, I assume yes?

Just had a 10 year old Taurus V6 that sat for 2 1/2 years. Fuel pump was frozen up - new FP and it ran fine on the old gas. Just get a battery and drive it - evaluate from there.

Report back with update and pictures if you can!
thumbsup2.gif

Everytime a battery wore out in my Taurus the alternator died sometime shortly thereafter, I can say from experience it's best to charge the battery and test it before putting it back in service.

Hopefully the battery can be recovered but certainly is probably flat sitting that long unless it was disconnected. My same Taurus I was mentioning can drain a battery flat in storage after only a couple weeks.

Remember your brakes could be rusted over and might take a while to scrape clean.

Look for critters, put the battery in, and go for it. Anything else will come to light later.
thumbsup2.gif

It is my Dad's who lost his driving privilege due to dementia. It has been in a carport. He also lost the Pink Slip so I'll be also going to the DMV here in CA which is so much fun.

Originally Posted By: Quest
don't bother jump-starting the battery, for you will kill the otherwise good alternator by having it to work extra hard attempting to recharge the dead battery.

Borrow/buy a cheap replacement from elsewhere and swap the battery if I were in your position.

Also: personally, I don't dig the drigas thingy for most 87octane gasoline are pretty much E10 already, and will absorb some water/moisture in your old gas.

I'd add a bottle of techron in the gas tank before topping up with fresh gas, just in case that the old/stale gas might varnish up the injector orifice(pintle area) quickly.

Lastly, because it's located in so-cal area, assuming that relative humidity is low or consistently low to begin with and the vehicle is left in a cool/dry environment, gas in the tank should not be all that bad...so simply topping it up with fresh gas should be fine.

Q.

I would pull the battery and put it on a good charger overnight. If that doesn't work (and it likely won't), try to equalize it...might take a charge. (The batteries in my Genesis did!) If so, great! If not...well, it's not like you had anything to lose.

Pulled the battery. Checked for any signs of critters, none. Took the battery to sears. They put it on a charger they called the micorwave. The charger has a protective cover on it. Battery took 50 minutes and charge was complete and battery checked out good. Took it home and put on my battery tender. It charged all night and into the next day before it was done. about 18 hours. Today, i will go and install the battery, put some air in the tires and see if the camry will start.

Camry started right up after installing the battery. Got air in the tires. Sunroof won't close on one corner. Must be something underneath it. Hope I can get it out without having to take it apart. Thanks for all the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back