valentines day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive never really done the whole valentines day. I mean a box of chocolates a stuffed animal was about it
I was thinking about may e getting some flowers sent to my wife in the am while I am at school. Good idea or bad?
Also I guess roses are kinda the go to flowers? I basically stumble my way through stuff like this but I figured if I take care of my wife like I do my car everything will operate smoother. So I want to do something to make her day. Any an all advice is appreciated and may save my back side.

Women love flowers. A nice bouquet..call a good flowershop and tell them what you want to spend and let them assemble something. Add one more thing: a card to tell her how important she is to you...

5 qt jug of non-sale priced/non-rebated syn oil.

...shows you really care.

Edit: Couldn't let the poor guy get punched... or worse, cut off. Ladies like flowers, food (either a restaurant, or prepared by you [mad skills in the kitchen preferred for the latter]), and a hand written card. Can't go wrong.

Last edited:
We've never bought into this fake holiday. If people need a holiday to express their feelings or do nice things for each other, there's bigger problems.

Originally Posted By: volk06
We've never bought into this fake holiday. If people need a holiday to express their feelings or do nice things for each other, there's bigger problems.

I tend to agree although my wife is kinda a yuppie girl who likes that kind of stuff.
smile.gif

It's a made up holiday to sell flowers. I get my wife flowers plenty of times throughout the year when the pricing is right, and when out garden is in bloom (April to November with something), we almost always have fresh flowers.

I'd recommend going to hd and picking up a $4.98 potted plant which will have flowers and keep on flowering with some care. Not only will it save you some coin, but she will like that you thought outside the box and yet still got her flowers.

100% agreed. Why buy her [censored], when the very next day it's half the price? How about a, "happy April umptysquat, I love you, so here's a nice gesture"?

I thought about giving in, too, but no way. If anything, I'll buy my wife a live plant next Friday, just because - i've never personally been a fan of giving dying flowers as a gift, no matter how beautiful. I do like a real Christmas tree, though, so go figure...

Our daughters church is having a Valentines Day Dinner fund raiser for Kids Camp this summer. Nothing really super but for a real good cause IMO. Wife likes the idea and I like helping the kids, at our age it seems the thing to do. Win-Win all around.

Some of these ideas might work if you're dating someone who doesn't mind being with a cheapskate, but most women would give you the cold shoulder for several days if you tried to weasel your way out of V-day with a $5 gift

Unless you've been married a long long time, in which case V-day is just another day

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
It's a made up holiday to sell flowers. I get my wife flowers plenty of times throughout the year when the pricing is right, and when out garden is in bloom (April to November with something), we almost always have fresh flowers.

I'd recommend going to hd and picking up a $4.98 potted plant which will have flowers and keep on flowering with some care. Not only will it save you some coin, but she will like that you thought outside the box and yet still got her flowers.

Everything you do is based around economics. Nothing wrong with that but its kind of funny how practical you are.

Reminds me of Val's Day 2004, when I was trying to get rid of a really needy girlfriend. Plunger wrapped up like a flower with some women's perfume did the trick.

Eh, depends on the woman I guess....

I do not just buy the stuff and holidays anyway.

Even after all these years, mine still loves a good card. So that I always do...

This year we go out as a family for a "date" (dinner and a movie). I figure the lego movie followed by some sort of dinner is much more fun than trying to impress someone.....

Hello, Some great ideas here fellas. I'm partial to the plant-rather-than-flowers idea, always have been. Also, if you have the place for it, consider a larger outdoor plant you can transplant. The nursery near us is a real asset.

Barkleymut: Your suggestion was noted! Kira

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Everything you do is based around economics. Nothing wrong with that but its kind of funny how practical you are.

Right because I own seven cars and a few of most everything else because of economics.

On the contrary, Ican do what I want because I watch the pennies.

My wife fortunately thinks the holiday is silly too. It's not just men who think that. But she does indeed love flowers, which is why we are proactive about growing them (fresher than any florist), and why plants are great - the flowers will keep coming with a little care.

For my wife's first Mother's Day I got her a crepe myrtle and planted it in the backyard, 2 years later we moved and I dug it up and transplanted it in our front yard. That was one backbreaking gift.

Agreed.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
There is only one thing that a woman needs to get for her man on Valentines day, and that is naked.

That may be one of the most classless, tasteless posts I've ever read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back