battery with a deminished reserved capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday after the car was inspected and all the fluids flushed. Part of the deal.
smile.gif
they bring it around to me but the belt it squeaking, the salesmen told me to put belt dressing on it. My reply was "no way in [censored]" i asked for an answer and they told me the spilled a little antifreeze on the the belt amd the squeak will go away. My wife and I went out to dinner and it never stopped we drove over an hour total. So I tried decided to just replace the belts. Well while doing this in the garage I left the lights on 30 minutes tops. And the battery was dead. It passes a load test perfectly fine. Would you replace it since the reserve capacity is down? Its a 5yr old napa battery.
Also I realize I shoukd have made the dealer fix the belts but I hate waiting on them its easier for me to do it myself.

Almost wonder if the belt could have been slipping enough t affect the alternator? But, given my personal (BAD) luck with NAPA batteries, replacement is probably a good idea.

I always believe in eliminating the obvious first. Put it on a charger and give it a chance before you go splurge for a new one.

You put a nice slow charge on and you will get more months out of it, but this time of year you need headlights a lot and if you get stuck or something you might wish you had a brand new battery for maybe 100 bucks tops.

I change mine every 4 years. I don't care if they're still good or not. Waiting until you have a dead battery and stuck in a parking lot with no tools and no way to get a battery is pure foolishness. Yet people call me crazy for replacing them every 4 years.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I change mine every 4 years. I don't care if they're still good or not. Waiting until you have a dead battery and stuck in a parking lot with no tools and no way to get a battery is pure foolishness. Yet people call me crazy for replacing them every 4 years.

Doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Cold/wet/dark with a weak battery sucks.

napa now gets their batteries from deka aka east penn manufacturing co. a good choice. check the date code, the one i just put in my 08 colorado was made 3 wks before. i read where if a lead acid battery sets over 3 months without any charging activity it is going downhill after that. my date was on the bottom, some use letters for dates, info on line how to decode, fresher is best. a battery with more CCA is best if you live in the cold, it was zero this morning in PA!!

Last edited:
NAPA batteries for years were supplied by Globe-Union,then Exide.....I guess thats where the bad reputation came from.

Get an oem battery if you can afford it. We just discussed this in another thread. Plenty of cheaper choices but oem batteries last longer it seems.

If you are on a budget try advance auto parts silver and check for online coupon codes they recently had $40 off $100 online purchase only then you pick it up at the store.

On advance autos web site it states that an agm batterynis recommended. Why?

most of my life i had a garage to park in front of or in. so with a morning no start i could get going. but not now i have a 01 dakoa V6 3,9 i live in an apt. so i just make sure the engine is in good tune. and have the batt and starter replaced every 4 years. with NO start fails. and i have a great mech shop. in 5 years i have NEVER had to take a repair back. how much is that worth? i say a LOT.

2003 Chrysler PT CruiserAGM RECOMMENDED - This vehicle model is identified as Electrically and Environmentally Challenged by JD Power.; Installation may take up to 30 minutes. Battery located under hood under air filter.; OE Spec: OE Group 26R; OE CCA 510; Battery Spec: 575 CCA, Reliable Starting Power

Is there any reason to run an agm in the pt cruiser?

That is straight from their website. Wonder what they mean by challenged.

I get these batteries from a specialty store "Interstate Batteries" I get the calcium lead construction maintenance free and they usually last 5 to 7 years for around 90 dollars.

Maybe the heat or vibration kills them or maybe they have access to warranty info that shows lots of returns on PT cruisers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back