Oiled belt on daughters Subaru

it helps to diagnose a belt squeal vs a bearing squeal. doesn't really matter what he sprayed on as it's just once and gone within minutes. Belt dressing can be nasty sticky stuff, I would hope it's not that.

The guy probably sprayed whatever he had in the truck. Odds are it will wear off.
If the belt is glazed (probably why it is squeaking) it will need replaced to quiet it anyway.
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

I had a dayco drive rite cheapie belt that squealed from new. Spraying water on it quieted it down. Hopefully daughter finds a good indie mechanic, this is actually a good "test job" to see how honest a local-to-her shop is going to be.

The 2021 in your signature, or another one? How many miles?
Subarus have a tensioner and 2 or 3 other rollers on their accessory belts, no?
Hope she does find a good indie. Maybe this is a better 'test job' for a dealership?

I hate the gooey belt dressings. Of course, the best belt recommendation is to replace them at any sign of improper operation.

A VERY unpopular idea is to spray a belt with a "good" rubber treatment. Some recommend silicone like we use on door weather stripping. I have used 303 on belts with success. Somewhat counter intuitive (especially silicone lubricant). But the premise is that it conditions the rubber, making more grippy. Still, I consider it a band aid until I can do a proper fix.

The 2021 in your signature, or another one? How many miles?
Subarus have a tensioner and 2 or 3 other rollers on their accessory belts, no?
Hope she does find a good indie. Maybe this is a better 'test job' for a dealership?
Its a 2016 Crosstrek with 2.0 engine. (Wife's previous Crosstrek).

Anyone know what manufacturer of battery is sold by AAA in NY area? Hope is not a Exide. Looks sealed.

They give AAA members a discount on the battery but it ended up being $200. How many people buy a battery from AAA who are not AAA members? So its a discount on top of an extra high price.

Walmart is $100 for the EverStart and $150 for the EverStart Max for a group 35.

Not a great picture.

Why is there what looks to be a battery clamp from a JumpPak when it's a new battery?

Attachments

• IMG_20240113_190610.jpg
    IMG_20240113_190610.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 70
Anyone know what manufacturer of battery is sold by AAA in NY area? Hope is not a Exide. Looks sealed.

They give AAA members a discount on the battery but it ended up being $200. How many people buy a battery from AAA who are not AAA members? So its a discount on top of an extra high price.

Walmart is $100 for the EverStart and $150 for the EverStart Max for a group 35.

Not a great picture.

Why is there what looks to be a battery clamp from a JumpPak when it's a new battery?
Finders keepers?

She was probably shutterbugging the AAA tech while he worked. He probably had to do a Midtronics test on the complete install for paperwork reasons, and that alligator clip is from that.

Having the AAA battery guy come to you has its price in convenience. Can you get anyone to come to you for fifty bucks anymore? Let alone on an emergency basis? Last I knew, their batteries are Exides, too. :(

She was probably shutterbugging the AAA tech while he worked. He probably had to do a Midtronics test on the complete install for paperwork reasons, and that alligator clip is from that.

Having the AAA battery guy come to you has its price in convenience. Can you get anyone to come to you for fifty bucks anymore? Let alone on an emergency basis? Last I knew, their batteries are Exides, too. :(
I did not think you really can test using any battery tester with a dead battery?

But you pay to me an AAA member and have roadside assistance.

Back