HDTV Indoor Antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I'm getting sick of Comcast continually raising rates and tacking on new charges all the time - their latest move is they are now charging monthly for the small digital to analog boxes that use to be free of charge for the last 3+ years.

I want to get a flat screen HDTV with a digital tuner (they probably all have this today), but rumor is that with Comcast I'll still need a box to see their digital signal (scrambled by Comcast?) even on a modern digitally tuner TV. Not sure if they charge monthly for that box or not, I need to call them. Then of course if I want HD on cable I'll need the HD box, and that will be a new monthly charge - it never ends - "boiling the frog slowly" syndrome going on with Comcast.
eek.gif

I watch too much TV anyway, so was thinking of just getting a good amplified indoor HD antenna and going with just the local stations in the airwaves. I can potentially get about 12~15 channels (some in HD) in my area per the info on the 'net.

Anyone else do this - cut the cable company cord? And if so, can you recommend a good performing UHF/VHF/HD antenna that has a 50 mile range?

PS - looked for a similar thread, but didn't see any.

An indoor antenna with 50 mile range is going to be a tough one unless you can get as close to direct LOS as possible.

But I've had good luck with the Terk HDTVi, which is rated among the best indoor antennas. There's also a version with a signal amp built in: the HDTVa.

An omnidirectional antenna likely won't cut it, but you never know.

We have 2 indoor antennas and we get a bunch of HD channels OTA with great quality... We hardly watch them though, as most of our entertainment is based on Netflix/Amazon Prime/VOD etc etc...

I think most amplified antennas will do similar these days, but I do like the Terk we have - it's an older one...

I recently bought the "leaf" flexible antenna, as it implies that it can reach 50 miles. US made. Hopefully I can review it this weekend.

I cut the cord and wish I lived in an area where an antenna would be useful. I could at least watch football, which is the only thing I miss since I now stream all of my TV over the internet. However, since getting rid of cable I now watch more TV than I ever did.

Smart move.
I cut the cord several years ago. I live Digital can be a bit frustrating because it's basically all or nothing, not like the old days where you moved the ant until you got the least amount of snow.
smile.gif

BTW, I've even used a small length of magnet wire stuffed in end of the coax connector with adequate results.

Last edited:
I have an "indoor" one, but it's large and installed in my attic. I had little luck with the small set-top antennas.

This is what I have in my attic:

https://www.antennasdirect.com/store/DB4e-extended-long-range-outdoor-dtv-antenna.html

I think I paid 70 bucks for it on Amazon. I went upstairs and unplugged my living room cable TV jack from the cable feed to the house and simply plugged it into the antenna. We get about 15 different OTA channels with it. The CBS/ABC/NBC OTA HD signals produce a better picture than Time Warner Cable ever did on our TV.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I have an "indoor" one, but it's large and installed in my attic. I had little luck with the small set-top antennas.

This is what I have in my attic:

https://www.antennasdirect.com/store/DB4e-extended-long-range-outdoor-dtv-antenna.html

I think I paid 70 bucks for it on Amazon. I went upstairs and unplugged my living room cable TV jack from the cable feed to the house and simply plugged it into the antenna. We get about 15 different OTA channels with it. The CBS/ABC/NBC OTA HD signals produce a better picture than Time Warner Cable ever did on our TV.

Good post Hokie!
This is the best value 'multi-directional' antenna out there. If you need to reach transmitters in different directions with one antenna, get this one.

Relatively inexpensive supplements to OTA channels are Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Roku.

Amazon Prime is $6.67 per month and it gets you Prime videos, Kindle lending library, and two-day shipping on a ton of stuff. You also get $3.99/item overnight shipping on a bunch of stuff too. I often upgrade to overnight for auto parts - faster and cheaper than the chains who rarely seem to have what I want. Amazon Instant Video also offers a lot of content to buy or rent.

Netflix Streaming is $8/mo, as is Hulu Plus. If you're tech savvy, you can wire a computer to your TV and watch regular free Hulu.

Roku is a set top box that delivers content from various providers. Some of that content is free, some is not. Google Chromecast and Apple TV are similar devices. There are a variety of "private" Roku channels too. Google search for more info on that. Many "smart" TV owners use a Roku box because the Netflix and Prime apps on Roku are much better than many of the "smart" TV apps.

You'll obviously need broadband for that stuff. I have no problem streaming two separate things on a 4mb DSL connection at "DVD quality". The higher the resolution you want, the more bandwidth you'll use. Most devices should adjust resolution automatically to accommodate your bandwidth.

That's exactly what we do. We watch local news and sports OTA, and watch shows like Top Gear and How It's Made on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon on our Roku. All in, we're paying about $70/month for Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, and 15 MB/s broadband. As I recall, the next tier down was 3 MB/s, and it was enough to do one thing at a time. I could not surf the 'net very well if someone was streaming something on the Roku. So we bumped it back up.

And there's more programming available through these services that you could possibly watch in a lifetime. I was afraid that we'd not be able find the stuff we want to watch off cable. Instead, I've found that my watchlists have grown to lengths that I won't work down in years.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I'm getting sick of Comcast continually raising rates and tacking on new charges all the time - their latest move is they are now charging monthly for the small digital to analog boxes that use to be free of charge for the last 3+ years

This is the main reason I've never paid for TV, not to mention that it's now crammed with stupid commercials. While I do have to put up with the commercials, I'm not paying to watch them either. I use a 30-year old antenna on top of a pole attached to my chimney. With digital, I now have more channels than before, including a 24hr old movie channel. I've mostly weened myself off of broadcast TV anyway and therefore watch DVD movies I borrow for free from the local community library. If they don't have something I'm looking for, they'll either borrow it from another library or buy it.

With the internet, there's so much to watch on-line that's far more interesting than the #$%@! the networks push. So why play their game? Good for you to telll them NO MORE! They are beginning to get the message.

My roof antenna has a flakey connection and it's too cold to work on it right now. I hooked up a Terk TV5 amplified antenna I was using on an old portable and the Terk pulls in everything I want to watch.

There really is no "best" television antenna. It really depends on your expectations, your local frequencies, and the transmitter station locations.

In the Detroit area, it's really easy. All the transmitters are in a very condensed location in Southfield, so a directional antenna aimed that way generally gives everything that's available. The local Fox affiliate broadcasts on a VHF frequency, so for best reception a VHF/UHF antenna is required.

I have a ClearStream 2V from Antennas Direct mounted about 10 feet up outside my home. This is a perfect solution for me.

http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/Clea...TV-Antenna.html

Do you expect to get all the available content? Depending on the local frequencies, you may need a VHF/UHF like I do, or you may only need a UHF to get everything. Are the transmitter stations near each other? If not, you may need a multi-directional like Hokey posted.

Of course, if you just want to get what you can get from an indoor antenna and not worry about it too much, you could get something like a ClearStream Micron R. It's pretty stylish for an antenna and performs well for an indoor antenna.

http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/Clea...lack-Satin.html

If you're cheap, a pair of $20 RCA rabbit ears from the local Lowes will get the job done.

Thanks for the info so far guys. I haven't been "tuned in" to the airwaves for many years, so was wondering if anything has really changed. From what I understand, all the TV stations are now broadcast over the airwaves in digital signals? So does that mean a regular antenna (ie, just a set of "$20 RCA rabbit ears") will still work - it's just a matter of the TV digital tuner is required now to read the digital signals coming in on the antenna?

I built my own antenna and had great results with it in my attic. In the new house, it is in the upstairs closet that houses the coax routing box. It was cheap and fun to build.

http://www.diytvantennas.com/

I also have Amazon Prime and just signed up for NetFlix with my parents(mainly for them). I broke down and got UVerse in the new house, but am sorely tempted to cut it off after the first year promotion is over.

I would then buy an HD Homerun which will DVR any two shows simultaneously and save them to watch at my leisure.

I look forward to reading the other links posted earlier in the thread. If you have questions regarding the 10 months we were disconnected from consumer TV, drop me a PM.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Thanks for the info so far guys. I haven't been "tuned in" to the airwaves for many years, so was wondering if anything has really changed. From what I understand, all the TV stations are now broadcast over the airwaves in digital signals? So does that mean a regular antenna (ie, just a set of "$20 RCA rabbit ears") will still work - it's just a matter of the TV digital tuner is required now to read the digital signals coming in on the antenna?

What type of antenna is best depends on your specific location- where and how far away are the transmission towers? Any trees or tall buildings nearby? That is why you should go to http://www.antennaweb.org/ or similar to get an idea of what type of reception situation you are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back