Router Recommendations

It has been a messy few days.
Spectrum internet went out.
Since we stream, that also meant no TV.
Mrs. Tdbo unhappy. Guess how that goes.
Three techs told me that it was their issue, and we needed a tech out to the house.
We finally got internet and TV because I took a trial out on a T Mobile pod.
Back to the story. Finally got a tech that knew what he was doing, adjusted signal, and found out that my Router crapped.
Motorola AC2600 lasted 13 months. It is still under warranty, but I want to get this rectified PDQ because nothing is working right.
I'll warranty the Motorola but I need a router like yesterday.
Looking at Amazon because we have prime.
Need recommendations for Routers. Budget: $150 or less.
Thanks in advance.
Interesting, I have the same one, running flawlessly for years with incredible range but I guess any electronic can fail.
My bigger question would be why it took 4 techs to figure out your router was no good? Something doesnt sound right, that is one of the first things they check for. Something isnt right with what they did or more to the story? I am not questioning you.

This is basic stuff, how can three techs not check to see if your modem was working in a correct way? It's step one of trouble shooting and in each case when they did not have a signal at the modem they knew it was their problem. Then a 4th guy comes and says it was your router? Scary stuff!!

Last edited:
Interesting, I have the same one, running flawlessly for years with incredible range but I guess any electronic can fail.
My bigger question would be why it took 4 techs to figure out your router was no good? Something doesnt sound right, that is one of the first things they check for. Something isnt right with what they did or more to the story? I am not questioning you.

This is basic stuff, how can three techs not check to see if your modem was working in a correct way? It's step one of trouble shooting and in each case when they did not have a signal at the modem they knew it was their problem. Then a 4th guy comes and says it was your router? Scary stuff!!
I'm not surprised. When we moved into our current place 3 years ago, 4 Comcast subcontractors couldn't get wifi correct. The 5th guy mostly did but I still ended up paying a guy that specializes in setting up home theaters, internet , outside TVs, media rooms etc... a$ 1000 to install a Moca connection and set up wifi optimally in the house. Worth every penny.

x4 for Asus.
If you want the cheapest one:

You can buy 2 and do a AIMESH which ASUS mesh system that is setup very easy.
The AIMESH is good if you have a bigger house for better coverage.

I have 2 RT-AX92U, it was on sale before Black Friday last year.
I also have an RT-AX3000 which I used as a third node on the mesh on the 2nd floor above the garage to control the opener, sprinkler, outside camera, light switches, thermostat.

Last edited:

With Spectrum, all things are possible!
We had been having signal problems for about 10 or 12 days prior to this happening.
I chose to ignore it because I could generally do a reset on it, and dealing with Spectrum is about as much fun as a bout of painful rectal itch.
I did verify Thursday night and Friday that there was not enough signal to do anything by hooking my laptop up to the cable coming out of the modem.
Sometime between Friday evening and Saturday evening, the signal miraculously restored itself.
My guess someone did something at the head, and failed to inform me.
We started with an appointment Saturday morning, that got moved to 8-9 Saturday night, they didn't call, they just dropped an e mail that they weren't going to show. They then informed me that my new appointment would be tomorrow between 9-10A. Another e mail moved that to 3-4 P.
To say that they suck is an understatement. The words that would do their inept practices justice would ultimately get me banned. So, I'll leave it at that.
However, the router is as dead as a doorstop, no question about that.
When it happened who knows?
Fortunately, there is a 2 year warranty on it.
Got a hold of someone at Motorola this morning via e-mail.
They told me the steps to start the warranty process.
I plan on utilizing it, and using the Motorola as a backup.
Too bad, because it really was a nice piece and I didn't have any problems with it until it's final bark.
BTW, I ended up buying the ASUS that I linked to earlier. Ended up getting it at Best Buy. It was the same price as Amazon, plus I got 15% off that for bringing in an old Router that I had laying around ( It was about a 20 year old Cisco that was laying in the basement junk pile.
The ASUS is a nice router, without question.
Going to take the T Mobile pod back tonight. I liked it better than I wanted to. However, I did have some issues with it. Maybe I'll share sometime if I have the time. It is definitely the wave of the future, it just isn't quite there yet for my needs.
However, it might be a default option in the future. Time will tell.
Thanks again everyone for the input.

I’ve been very pleased with ASUS routers.

I also have an Aruba instant on at one of my properties, which gets beamed wifi. That’s a nice setup with a very stable OS.

I’ve heard ubiquiti some times but have not looked into what makes them good.

+1

Easy to add another AP elsewhere in the house to extend range. A true business class WiFi solution with excellent network monitoring. I have older Ubiquiti stuff and it still works great and gets software updates 5+ years on.

I won't buy any WiFi device that can't be run via Power Over Ethernet, for the ultra clean ceiling AP install. That limits me to more business oriented APs and I'm fine with that. I have thought from time to time about using something other than Ubiquiti whenever it is I get around to upgrading to WiFi 6/6E, but, the Ubiquiti APs are round and very aesthetically pleasing on the ceiling.

Plus I don't see any reason to upgrade from WiFi 5 to WiFi 6 when I can saturate my 300Mbps connection using WiFi 5. No problem streaming 4K on 3 TVs at once, what more could I need?

Last edited:
I won't buy any WiFi device that can't be run via Power Over Ethernet

I POE enabled a regular access point using a 24V DC power supply, two Mikrotik power injectors, a 24VDC to 12VDC buck converter, and a couple of DC power pigtails. The power supply end of this is in the basement and is the usual configuration. This is the access point end:

1689991505847.jpg

Reactions: Y_K
Most of the not-cheapest-out-there routers are reliable enough for me. At the moment I've used TP Link, Linksys, Netgear, whatever Comcast send me, etc. I'd worry more about no name brand as they may cut corners on power stability and firmware stability, but larger brands tend to be fine.

I am quite clueless on all of this stuff. I am old and old school.
We bought our current house eight years ago. At that time, Spectrum was already set up in the house from the previous owners. I purchased a combo modem/router and have used it since. Long story, but I have been meaning to update. Also a long story, but we had a Spectrum tech out to the house a few days ago, so I got some suggestions from him. He seemed very nice and knowledgeable, an older gentleman. He said he is not supposed to suggest such things to me, but...
He recommended that I get the "free" modem from Spectrum and buy a TP link mesh system that would have three routers. He said put one by the modem and the other two where the signal is the weakest in the house. I have a two-story house; each level is approximately 900 square feet or so.
He said we currently have 300 Mbps but he only measured 127 coming out of my current modem/router combo unit, Netgear brand.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

other two where the signal is the weakest in the house.
That's not exactly right. The extension mesh link requires a decent signal from the unit that is connected to the Internet to work. It should be placed somewhere midway between the main unit and the farthest extent of the house. Users needing extended coverage work on the far side of it. If you put the extension unit in the heart of a dead spot, it's going to be rather dead as well.

Turn off the wifi in the cable modem/router unit when using your own wifi system.

If you don't have full subscribed speed when close to the main unit with its wired connection, something else is wrong.

I am quite clueless on all of this stuff. I am old and old school.
We bought our current house eight years ago. At that time, Spectrum was already set up in the house from the previous owners. I purchased a combo modem/router and have used it since. Long story, but I have been meaning to update. Also a long story, but we had a Spectrum tech out to the house a few days ago, so I got some suggestions from him. He seemed very nice and knowledgeable, an older gentleman. He said he is not supposed to suggest such things to me, but...
He recommended that I get the "free" modem from Spectrum and buy a TP link mesh system that would have three routers. He said put one by the modem and the other two where the signal is the weakest in the house. I have a two-story house; each level is approximately 900 square feet or so.
He said we currently have 300 Mbps but he only measured 127 coming out of my current modem/router combo unit, Netgear brand.
Thoughts? Suggestions?
Take his advice, have Spectrum give you the modem and get your own router.
TpLink is a good reliable brand.

What is the best method for a person to perform their own "speed test" at home?
Speedtest.net. If you want real world results like if you’re using a laptop or whatever from the couch do it like that. If you want to see if you’re getting the speed you pay for, plug a computer right into the router or some routers like my Asus have a built in Speedtest feature.

Back