Has anyone used the Hercules Tour 4.0 Plus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like a Chinese knockoff of the popular Continental ExtremeContact DWS

3cd5941b-5611-40a2-91e4-5055e0e95f00.jpg

205_65_15_Hercules_Tour_002.jpg

Someone may correct me here, but I thought hercules brand was sourced from Cooper's line of tires.

Either that or they could be part of TBC's brand of tires...

I've seen those tires popping up around here (no pun intended)

hercules is private label not nec. chinese.

Their tires are ok.. I usually think of them in the same class as kelly, mastercraft, dean

Most were made in the usa. That may have changed recently.

Last edited:
My success with private label tires has not been good. They're fine for...oh lets say, the first 10K-15K miles then, you start spending money on tires again because the private label tires don't deliver past that mileage. Other members may disagree!

I have had a couple of vehicles that did OK with priveat label tire but, most of todays vehicles seem to like better tires that hold up closer to their treadlife rating and, perform excellent to very good all the way there, even if they don't get to the treadlife rating(which most don't).

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Someone may correct me here, but I thought hercules brand was sourced from Cooper's line of tires.

Either that or they could be part of TBC's brand of tires...

I've seen those tires popping up around here (no pun intended)

Maybe, but even "real" Cooper tires are Chinese garbage now, and this was even before the Apollo takeover.

I agree with Char Baby about the quality of private label tires.

No, that's wrong. The Cobra GT's I had on my Caddy were US-made. The Mastercraft snows on my Dakota are US-made.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

Maybe, but even "real" Cooper tires are Chinese garbage now, and this was even before the Apollo takeover.

There is quite abit of your post I disagree with.

1. Most Coopers sold in the usa are made in usa still. Yes some come from china now.

2.Just because its made in china doesnt mean its garbage. Some michelins are made in china also. I'd be disappointed with a chinese tire, but hardly "garbage" Thats linglang, triangle, hengfeng etc.

China is producing some excellent products. Their audiophile equipment is excellent. They have an active space program. Basically they can make anything as good as the inspector watching it wants it to be. China makes some cheap junk because that's what they want to make in that case. Not because that's the best they can do. We need to understand that and act accordingly.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
China is producing some excellent products. Their audiophile equipment is excellent. They have an active space program. Basically they can make anything as good as the inspector watching it wants it to be. China makes some cheap junk because that's what they want to make in that case. Not because that's the best they can do. We need to understand that and act accordingly.

I want to echo what Ken2 said.

My experience with manufacturing in the US is that if you loosen the specs, production will worsen to fit the loosened specs. By the same token, tightening the specs causes production to improve. But there is a lower limit beyond which the plant can't really improve.

The whole issue boils down to costs. Small improvements don't cost much. Large improvements are pretty expensive.

The bottom line is that there needs to be a reality based rationale behind the specs. - and in the case of stuff manufactured in China, it will take a while for them to realize and achieve what is an acceptable level for the US market. This same thing was said about Japanese products and look where they are today!

My Sumitomo HTR T4s are made in china....and are holding up just fine. Going on 4 years....

It's how the company expect their products to be built, is how it is going to be done...

I have a friend at work whose husband took her car off to the tire store and came back with these.
I had to laugh, since for little more than what he paid, he could have gotten known-good tires, like the original Contact DWS or the Pure Contacts I bought for the Forester.
For that matter, Michelin had one of their seventy dollar rebate campaigns going at the time and there's nothing worng with a set of Primacy or even Defender tires.
Unless these tires can be had dirt cheap, I'd stick with something known to hold up well.

Hercules Tires and Cooper Tires are partners. Cooper does make tires for Hercules and marketed together. So Hercules have been associated with Cooper Tires for 50 years.

just put 4 of these on my car...handled 4 inches of snow one day then 1 inch of rain and slop the next..I paid 90.00 per tire installed and spin balanced for life of tire with free rotation every 3000 miles...205 55 16

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/hercules/205%252F55r16+hercules+tour+4.0+plus+91h+bsw.html

you can buy them here quite cheap

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

Cooper was never taken over by Apollo. Cooper is still one of two remaining American tire companies...for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back