I just purchased 6 Ac-Delco UPF-44

Status
Not open for further replies.
 -

Gmpartsdirect still has some. These are the only UPF still being made. Price came to $7.10 each with shipping included. I plan on using these and/or wix for my new silverado. These apparently flow very well on cold starts.

Champion still makes the UPF-44 AND THE UPF-52 for AC-DELCO (this info was e-mailed to me from champ labs). No doubt these are the best filters that money can buy.

I just ordered 2 at my dealer and were 8 or 9 bucks each. They had the UPF44 in the computer but the UPF52 was not??? Any way they seem to be the best in flow and filtration. I will soon find out how they do on my 5.3 and LS1 V8's compaired to a Napa Gold I have been using!

OK, what's the differnce in this filter and the regular AC filter?
Do they make this filter in all AC numbers?

I was told that the upf-52 was no longer made and that the upf-44 was kept in production for the vette people.

The "ultraguard gold" filter has 100% synthetic media with a wire backing. It is suppose to flow better and have a higher single pass effect at 8-10 microns. The wix or napa gold has one advantage in that they have a silcone ADBV, while the AC does not.

I just wanted to give these a try to see how my truck acts on cold start at-20 F (I live in the frozen tundra of North Dakota).

ChrisB. What is the latest on your cold start knock? What product or oil do you feel minimize the noise you are getting?

My truck is new, but I get a very very mild muffled knocking for about 60 seconds, and only when the temps are below 25 F.

[ January 18, 2004, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Ross ]

Both the UPF44 & UPF52 are the only two AC-Delco gold series being made. I recently bought 6 of the UPF52's from gmpartsdirect.

Wayne

UPF44s are $6.09 plus shipping when you buy 6 or more at gmpartsdirect.com

Their efficiency AND flow is unsurpassed.

[ January 29, 2004, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: Alex D ]

I can't believe they stopped making this filter. Perhaps if they sold it at more retailers.
rolleyes.gif

Maybe if they ever get this AC-Delco store thing going they will offer it again.

-T

They haven't stopped making this filter actually. The Corvette owners all rallied together and convinced AC Delco to keep this one alive, so it's still in production to this day.

No up date on the CSK yet. I will use the UPF44's on my next oil changes. The NAPA Gold's seem to work well with no CSK on the truck and backed up by good UOA's.

Our lows have been around -20 F for the past week. I work the night shift and come out to my truck that has sat unplugged for 10 hours. I am running M1 5w30 and using the UPF-44. The truck starts with no problem and the oil pressure jumps up quickly. Surprisingly, when its that cold I get almost no CSK?? Can't figure that out.

I also notice the trucks likes the gas with 10% alcohol. Very little noise with this gas.

If the temps do get much below -20F, I notice that the truck is not happy at all. I should be using 0w30.

I really like this filter and plan to order another dozen so that I am set for the next 3-4 years. There is no doubt in my mind that this filter does flow as advertized when cold!!!

This filter element looks exaclty like the ones that fleetguard and donaldson make for their synthetic media filter. Should filter down to 7 microns nominal and 20 absolute. This type of element is 73% efficient at 10 microns in the SAE j1858 multipass test too. Very good since tests show most engine wear comes from 5-15 micron particles.

Flow is rated at 14gpm on the fl1a equivalents. I use them on my mopars. Oil pressure comes up immidately and the oil stays very clean. Going to a 7500mile interval this time too with analysis.

Excellent write up about this type of element by fleetguard. Its a large 42pg document, so if you have dialup, it will take a while to download.

http://www.up.ac.za/academic/chemeng/Facilities/Tribology_presentations/05bFleetguard.pdf

Dan

[ February 04, 2004, 01:47 AM: Message edited by: Dan4510 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
They haven't stopped making this filter actually. The Corvette owners all rallied together and convinced AC Delco to keep this one alive, so it's still in production to this day.

I meant for other applications.
grin.gif

Wish someone would have rallyed together for the PF47.

-T

Well if you think it can be done I'm sure a few people could be dug up at clubgp.com.

-T

It would be great to see some more write-ups of this filter. Especially the pore and flow study.

-T

Yeah, it's a darned shame that most of the UPF (Ultraguard Gold) line of filters were discontinued.

I stocked up on some UPF53 and UPFL400A (oversize) filters for my car before they ran out. Anyone else want to petition ACDelco to resume production of these?
wink.gif

Hey Patman, I found some UPF1127s at www.ac-direct.com -- this e-mail was from about a month ago. They probably have some left.

quote:

Jason,

We currently have 60 UPF1127 left in stock. When these are gone we cannot get any more, because as you probably know, they have been discontinued.

Sales Team
AC-Direct.com

Ya, I wish they still made the UPF1218 and the UPF1127 too. I used to buy the 1127s for my wife's Honda when we first got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back