MWF water filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long do these water filters last? Our GE refrigerator has a indicator light that tells you when to change. The indicator light seems to be not working because this last year we've been using filter water for our coffee pot as before we used tap water. Since using more filter water I would think the light would come on sooner.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
Double check your owners manual to see if there is a self check setting. Have you ever replaced the filter before?

Yea, it's been ten months. I wrote the date on the filter. If you hold the rest button the light comes on and goes off. With moderate use it would take about a year before the light would come on.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
How long do these water filters last? Our GE refrigerator has a indicator light that tells you when to change. The indicator light seems to be not working because this last year we've been using filter water for our coffee pot as before we used tap water. Since using more filter water I would think the light would come on sooner.

If your fridge has the replacement indicator: 1yr/500 gallons. If not, 6mo./250 gallons.

btw, the filter has been replaced by the MWFP, with 'P' being pharmaceutical filtration.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
DON'T buy low cost aftermarket filters. Ask me how I know!

Seriously. Last time we needed one, went to HD and they had cleared the shelves of GE, NSF certified filters. They had HD HDX brand look-alikes. None of the same filtering capability for the bad actors. Little more than a $20 sediment filter sold to dupe the public. Disgusting.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

I have a Maytag fridge (I hate it, but don't get me started) that takes a high-dollar filter. I went to buy a replacement at a local mom-and-pop appliance store and I noticed that the one they try to sell is made in China, where the original Maytag/Frigidaire is made in USA. Last I heard, there are no standards for replacement water filters. China's record with food isn't so great, especially when it comes to pet food and I suspect they really couldn't care less about water filters either.
My replacement water filter that I use will be American made. If other people want to buy the Chinese one, so be it, because I won't be drinking their water.
BTW, the owner's manual that came with my 'fridge says the indicator light goes off every 750 gallons.

Pablo, I'll ask. How do you know ?
I like drinking water.
Best thing on a hot day.

My area gets it water from Lake Erie.
I never felt the need to filter it.

We receive a Yearly Report of what's in the water.
It looks OK to me.
Should I be more concerned ? ? ?

I would assume if you get your water from a private well,
it would be best to question it & possible filter.

Last edited:
When I had my GE refrigerator that utilized the MWF filters, I could always tell when it needed replacing because the pressure from the stream of water would be reduced, to the point where it was annoying to stand there and wait for a large cup to fill up. This would take about 10-12 months.

I never tried aftermarket filters, I always used the genuine GE filters. Never had a problem with them.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
I think I pay 40.00 for these filters. Once a year sounds good to me.

They are ~$38.00 at Sino Mart.

I thought that ours needed replacing at 3-4 months!
crazy2.gif

Good to know they can last up to a year.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back