How long to warm up the car before an oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get on the parkway drive about 3 miles, then take the side roads back which is about 4 or so miles. I drive up the ramps and pull the drain plug. I let the oil drain about an hour, do some chores while its draining, remove the filter and finish up. That method seems to work well.

I'd never run a car just to change its oil.
I plan oil changes for when I or some other family member arrives home with the subject car after using it.
It takes no time to get the car up on ramps (if needed), change into my greasy oil change clothes and get the drain pan, old newspapers (for spills underneath), paper towels, funnel, new filter, new oil and wrenches for the plug and filter ready to use.
I prefer to drain the oil after the car has been driven long enough to reach normal operating temperature.
The oil drains quickly that way and by the time I get to the oil filter, it will have cooled off somewhat.

As long as it takes to drive to the Dealer for my hot oil change. Oh,the screams!

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: solorexpy
Originally Posted By: y_p_w
I know there's no right answer, but I'm wonder what you guys do.

I remember when I'd collect samples to send to Blackstone, their recommendation was to drive at least 20 miles before collecting a sample. I've got a one-way commute over 40 miles, so my preferred time to do an oil change was a bit after I got home from work. However, my wife isn't too happy about it an asks why do I need to do it "right now". So sometimes I'm stuck doing it on the weekends before the rest of the family is up. I'll probably warm it up for 4 miles, although we've got hills around here and I'll do some nice hill climbs, which should warm it up well.

I've heard all sorts of recommendations, including changing the oil with a cold engine to reduce the amount of mess. I've never done a cold oil change, although back when I did an extended oil change on a relatively low mileage car, I'd change the filter every 3 months when it was cold.

Blackstone probably wants the oil sufficiently mixed so they get a get representative sample of the oil, rather than oil with the particulates settled.

IMO, cold is better because all of the oil has drained into the pan. If the car has been driven, you've got oil still floating around in the engine.

Cold is not really better. If the oil it hot it all runs out in a matter of a few minutes and help prevents dry starts from draining all the oil out.

How does cold oil(not talking 10F) say 60F being drained have anything to do with dry starts? Dry starts only occur when the system loses prime which is impossible from an oil change.

If you mean the less than desired lubrication an engine gets on a cold start well that is going to happen whether you change it or not. I'll do it warm but never hot because it is a little hazardous and prone to easy mess.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
As long as it takes to drive to the Dealer for my hot oil change. Oh,the screams!

I remember once reading about some promotional event that Honda was doing. They had a bunch of NSXs for this event and their star driver at the time was Alex Zanardi. So he has his choice of all these cars and he asks which one has an automatic and gets in that one. Oh the horror!

I never change it warm, always cold. I'd rather have as much oil in the pan after sitting so I change more of it out. I am not in a hurry so i just take the plug out do something else and come back when it stops dripping.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The OP was asking about UOA samples, so technically this is in the wrong forum. We have another thread for how you change your regular fills.

I was actually thinking of regular oil changes. The recommendation by Blackstone was just a point of reference for what they consider to provide a representative sample free of excess moisture and fuel. They might have recommended 10-20 minutes the last time I did it, but now they say 20 minutes.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/gas-sampling.php

Get it up to temp on the highway, bring it back, then crack the plug after waiting 3 minutes (to avoid burning yourself)

You guys realize that for the billions of people across the globe that take their car to an independent garage for a oil change, the shop might leave their car outside for awhile before they get to it, right? I do mine usually after a short trip around town to get it decently warm and it drains perfectly. I go inside, grab a beer, wait a minute, and by then it's not even dripping anymore. But I don't think it really even matters.

I read a post on here months ago where some member removes his drain plug and lets it sit for like two hours to ensure that it completely drains... That's just ridiculous. The extreme precautions some people take accomplish nothing. Again, no mechanic does that and cars aren't spinning bearings because their owners didn't drain the oil at a super specific temp or for an outlandish amount of time.

Last edited:
With todays easy flowing oils unlike the straight 30& 40 weighs, I just make sure it is warm. I don't do special drives just to change oil as that is foolish IMO. I plan on doing a change after a legitimate shopping run.

I live rural, so I will combine the day I want to do an oil change with a day I need to go to town and do something. Doesn't matter to me if the oil is hot. I use Fumoto drain valves. Put one of them on every vehicle I own at the first oil change. Makes it nice for those times when I want to grab a sample also.

Originally Posted By: izualangel
I've always changed it after a long trip, when I'm sure the oil is hot. You know, get home, park the car, get the ramps, and get that oil out. If burning myself on the filter or exhaust was a concern, I'd just get the oil draining, and then let it drain a while. With the hood open the exhaust and filter usually would cool down pretty fast. I've changed cold oil plenty of times at work (cars that were dropped off overnight in January)and it's slow, and I feel like you get less out than you would if it were hot.

Ageed, I do similar. Often letting the oil drain for a half hour or more. The filter cools down quite a bit. I also believe the oil drains better after a decent drive. Opening the cap also contributes to a better drain.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I use Fumoto drain valves. Put one of them on every vehicle I own at the first oil change. Makes it nice for those times when I want to grab a sample also.

I do the same.

From Mobil 1's Web Site:

Question:
Any Problem Changing the Oil When the Engine is Cold?
I have read that the engine needs to warm up before you do an oil change to make the oil flow better. I never did this. I just let the engine cool off overnight to let the oil settle at the oil pan, then do the oil change in the morning. Logic here is that the old oil is collected at the pan and when you drain, you get most of it, plus it is a cold engine, easier to work with. I also put some oil in the new filter so it will not be a dry start. What is your opinion on this method? Thank You.

Answer:
We think it is best to change the oil when it has been warmed up. The reasoning being that the oil flows better, and sludge and other deposits are more likely to be removed from the oil pan.

Makes sense more junk would be removed from the oil pan. I always change it within 10-15 minutes of a complete warm-up drive. I plan accordingly, run a few errands then pull in the garage and drain (with the oil cap off) 10 minutes later there's 1 drip in 10 seconds, plug'r back up and change the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back