Mazda High Moly 0W-20 vs.Sustina W Base 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sustina has an 8 point upper hand in viscosity index (229 to 221), a new high tech base stock, a sulfur-less ZP add pack, and a 12.2 TBN.

The Mazda brew has a group 3+ (??) base stock, and a very high old school (as opposed to tri-muclear) organic soluble moly level.

Does ANYONE know the TBN of the Mazda GF5 SN stuff, as well as it's HTHSV??

I want to mix either of these with M1 0W-40 in a 50/50, or 60/40 (60% M1) blend (let the moaning and dissing begin!) for my winter OCI.

I can get the Mazda brew locally for ~$9.15 a quart including tax, and the Sustina is ~11.99 a quart shipped from Amazon.

TGMO is at least $7.00 a quart locally, before tax, and I have NO problem paying more for either of the other two in order to get the higher VI into this blend (the M1's 187 is going to drag it down!), and for the higher moly (even taking into consideration that XOM's tri-nuclear stuff is in the TGMO) of the Mazda oil.

I WANT a high VI oil in this thing for the winter, and almost all of the 0W-30s out there do NOT cut it in this area (save for the Syn Gard 0W-30 @ 228 VI, BUT, which makes one jump through hoops to procure their product, unless you live well south of the Mason-Dixon line, and, it also has a low starting TBN, a NO GO for me in the winter time).
Hence the mix, which all of the naysayers will undoubtedly question the need for (as well as the need for a high VI) as is standard procedure on here.
frown.gif

Why stray from the CATERHAM blend.. TGMO VI not high enough?

You'd think that the M1 and TGMO both being blended by Exxon would make a great, predictable mix rather than introduce another blender's chemistry which may not be ideal

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Why stray from the CATERHAM blend.. TGMO VI not high enough?

You'd think that the M1 and TGMO both being blended by Exxon would make a great, predictable mix rather than introduce another blender's chemistry which may not be ideal

Yes, I KNEW this point would also be brought up by those who do not just outright BLAST/FLAME the act of mixing/blending ANY different oils.

But YES, the M1's VI is low enough to need all of the help it can get in that arena, to well over the 200 VI mark.
wink.gif

Besides, we do NOT know for sure IF XOM uses the same VISOM/PAO/whatever base stock that makes up their 0W-40, in their contacted TGMO, correct??

Basically, I just need to know what the CURRENT; HTHSV, TBN, and maybe the NOACK (despite how much maligned this spec is considered on here) is for the Mazda High Moly SN 0W-20 oil.

Blame the one who made up the original blend for making me soooo OCD/paranoid over a high VI, especially for the winter OCI.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Hence the mix, which all of the naysayers will undoubtedly question the need for (as well as the need for a high VI) as is standard procedure on here.
frown.gif

Yes, I KNEW this point would also be brought up by those who do not just outright BLAST/FLAME the act of mixing/blending ANY different oils.

Interesting way to ask a question, trying to pre-emptively defend yourself against an attack that you are trying to provoke...

You obviously have a course of action that you intend to follow, why bait ????

Basically, I just need to know what the CURRENT; HTHSV, TBN, and maybe the NOACK (despite how much maligned this spec is considered on here) is for the Mazda High Moly SN 0W-20 oil.

Check whose dissing NOAK...it's the high V.I. crowd, attaboy for recognising that it's important.

Besides, we do NOT know for sure IF XOM uses the same VISOM/PAO/whatever base stock that makes up their 0W-40, in their contacted TGMO, correct??

Don't know that they don' either...but given that the add pack is apparently proprietary Idemitsu, delivered to XOM to make the TGMO elixer, we can't guarantee that unicorn tears will mix with trinuclear moly...less so basestock compatibility.

The Sustina has an 8 point upper hand in viscosity index (229 to 221), a new high tech base stock, a sulfur-less ZP add pack, and a 12.2 TBN.

The Mazda brew has a group 3+ (??) base stock, and a very high old school (as opposed to tri-muclear) organic soluble moly level.

Rumor I heard is the Eneos "W Base" is a highly shear-stable PAMA VI Improver, not a synthetic base oil in the traditional sense. My guess is that both of these products are Group III blends with non-traditional VI Improvers. I would also guess that both products sport a NOACK of less than 13% and comparable CCS/MRV/HTHSV. Both are better than the oil most consumers use.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
frown.gif

Interesting way to ask a question, trying to pre-emptively defend yourself against an attack that you are trying to provoke...

You obviously have a course of action that you intend to follow, why bait ????

Check whose dissing NOAK...it's the high V.I. crowd, attaboy for recognising that it's important.

Don't know that they don' either...but given that the add pack is apparently proprietary Idemitsu, delivered to XOM to make the TGMO elixer, we can't guarantee that unicorn tears will mix with trinuclear moly...less so basestock compatibility.

Sorry, I did not want to get your ire up Shannow, but it most definitely DOES get MUCH MUCH colder here than where you are, so I am going to have to agree with your opponent(s) on the VI front at least, for my WINTER OCI.

Not "baiting", as I do not get involved with the thick vs. thin, M1 vs everthing else, "real synthetics" vs. Group 3/3+/GTL, and the VI wars on here (there is enough else I vehemently disagree with most on here about, besides oil, to start with them about oil/lube matters).
wink.gif

I just wanted to maybe have the naysayers skip/avoid this post and for someone to just give me the info on the Mazda oil, so that I could compare it to the Eneos product in an informed way.
I am NOT looking for, nor asking about opinions about whether or not I should do this or not.

That's all. Plain and simple.

I am NOT the one "looking for a fight" (in fact THAT was the rationale for my "pre-emptive attitude", to AVOID the 'usual' wars).
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back