Why all the talk about Toyota Genuine Motor Oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep hearing a lot of talk on this forum about Toyota Genuine Motor Oil (TGMO) and quike frankly what is all the fuss about.

I'm quite certain that Toyota does not make their own oil, so who makes it? What makes it such a divine elixir?

It boasts very impressive specifications and is priced quite reasonably -- better than most off-the-shelf 0w20s.

Good add pack, lots of moly. Nothing earth shattering. BITOG gets hung up on oils every couple of years. Pennzoil conventional (PYB) and most recently Pennzoil Platinum synthetic (PP) have been the latest cult victims.

Study the VOA on the oil and also compare the 40c viscosity, the VI and then compare that to the bulk of synthetic oils.
The difference should be quite apparent. It's all in the science.

I think it's over-hyped as well. Mazda 0w20 is better. But it is usually a little bit more expensive them TGMO as well.

If Mazda 0w20 was the same price or cheaper than TGMO....all you'd hear about is Mazda's oil.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
I think it's over-hyped as well. Mazda 0w20 is better. But it is usually a little bit more expensive them TGMO as well.

If Mazda 0w20 was the same price or cheaper than TGMO....all you'd hear about is Mazda's oil.

I also like Mazda's oil better. I think the deciding factor is availability. Mazda dealerships are spotty on carrying it while most Toyota dealerships carry theirs in stock. The difficulty of ordering Mazda plus the price made my decision to go with TGMO for our Honda.

Of all the 0W-20s on the market now, every formulator offers one, only three that have similar viscosity characteristic to TGMO and they're either more expensive or harder to source.
They are the Mazda USA 0W-20, Sustina 0W-20 and SynGard 0W-20.
You could also include the Idemitsu made Honda/Acura Canada SM 0W-20 and Mitsubishi SM 0W-20 as well although with a 197 VI it's not quite in the same league although it is a high moly oil.

The rest are all much heavier oils at typical start-up temp's.

Yeah,, oil is oil, its all the same!!! Don't listen to science and technology, that's [censored] and the devils work!
33.gif

Sarcasm off.

It seems to excel in some arbitrarily chosen specs, that a few people feel are most important.

Much like GC, which I never used, your car will suffer no ill effects if you chose not to use it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
It seems to excel in some arbitrarily chosen specs, that a few people feel are most important.

If you consider viscosity as "arbitrarily chosen specs" then you're right.

Originally Posted By: dernp
At $5/L for an excellent synthetic, what's not to like about it.

We're fortunate that Toyota Canada does keep a lid on how much their dealers can charge for it. In the States some dealers do charge more.
In Canada TGMO is clearly our best 0W-20 value.
It is the clear 0W-20 no-brainer choice.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: dernp
At $5/L for an excellent synthetic, what's not to like about it.

We're fortunate that Toyota Canada does keep a lid on how much their dealers can charge for it. In the States some dealers do charge more.
In Canada TGMO is clearly our best 0W-20 value.
It is the clear 0W-20 no-brainer choice.

I agree for the price. Ive been quoted 6.65/quart here. Best price for the oil since most oil here is insanely priced.

It's one of the popular oils here on BITOG,thats the bottom line.Otherwise there is nothing about this oil that stands out and makes it so elite and special.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
I think it's over-hyped as well. Mazda 0w20 is better.

I haven't seen anything about the Mazda being 'better'. It uses the older dimer (organic) moly as opposed to the new super-performing trimer.

I'd love to see some performance tests between these two. If they were the same price I'd still go with Toyota unless tests show an advantage somewhere else.

As far as it being 'special', it's the cheapest 'premium' 0w20 available in Canada. About half the price of Mobil 1.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stchman
I keep hearing a lot of talk on this forum about Toyota Genuine Motor Oil (TGMO) and quike frankly what is all the fuss about.

I'm quite certain that Toyota does not make their own oil, so who makes it? What makes it such a divine elixir?

Who makes it? XM. The M1 folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back