hydraulic wire crimper

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at buying a hydraulic wire crimper for some battery cables. HF sells one in the $50-$60 price range and a few on Amazon that look similar are also in the $50-$60 price range.

I see some cordless ones on Amazon for $2000, but I need to pass on those.

Are you in the business or is this just for home usage? There are manual crimpers that handle up to 2 AWG cable. I think mine is a Burndy. Probably about 60$ too, but it will outlast you. HF...

Yeah, people who have aluminum wiring in their house and want to put copper pigtails on them look at/buy the HF one.

Not in the business. Probably will get used a few times each lifetime.

Ordered a Mopar battery clamp repair kit and believe it needs to be crimped.

I have the HF crimper. The Dies are too small, and it is kind of awkward to use. The 0 awg dies are a bit too small for 4 awg lugs. The Dies to not align themselves perfectly and can try and twist the lug as it is crimped, leaving an ugly crimp.

Most crimps, especially on the bigger lugs are going to have the flattened 'ears' unless one rotates the lug n the die numerous times.

There is a tendency to use all the clamping force available, and doing this at the edge of the lug, can shear off all the copper at the end.

I want to take the useless(imo) 12 and 10 awg dies and grind them out to accept thick wall 4 and 2 awg lugs without pinching some ears on them.

They hydraulics themselves seem to be smooth.

Find yourself a 20% off discount coupon online. it is not too painful to buy for an infrequently used tool.

Last edited:
If the HF crimper's dies were large enough, I'd certainly be happy with it. The awkwardness of using it, and the dies not aligning themselves perfectly without additional effort are easily overcome.

Some of those on Amazon look like the same tool, but with better Dies that appear larger. If I could purchace a larger die kit for under 20 bucks, I would. I would have spent 20$ more for a crimper with better dies.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Consider soldering with a torch instead.

Even if the clamp repair kit connector was made to be crimped?

How does one solder a 1/0 wire in a crimped connector without melting the insulation thats flush with the connector.

On small wire for my trailer I used liquid tape on the connectors after crimping.

Leave about an 1/8" of the insulation away from the lug and heat just the bottom of the lug till the flux melts and the solder flows.
Heat shrink the small gap.

Originally Posted By: Trav
No but after its crimped soldering does provide good corrosion protection.
Lots of videos on you tube.

Yes, after I posted my question I found a bunch of youtube videos. Of course they were all soldering battery cables that were in their bench or garage. I am not sure I would do it that way in the car.

Donald. As you probably know already, that is the same hydraulic unit as the HF model, Same molded case too, but with much nicer, properly sized Dies.

I would love to have those dies and would spend the extra for them no problem.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
Donald. As you probably know already, that is the same hydraulic unit as the HF model, Same molded case too, but with much nicer, properly sized Dies.

I would love to have those dies and would spend the extra for them no problem.

I do not believe the one on EBAY is any more money than the HF, give or take $5.

As the listing on EBAY points out, they can play games with die sizes. Give you small ones you can easily hand crimp, and larger ones that are sized for solid wire, not stranded welding cable.

Since I rarely need to crimp 1/0 wire lugs, I merely built crimping jaws for my vice which has worked out well.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Since I rarely need to crimp 1/0 wire lugs, I merely built crimping jaws for my vice which has worked out well.

Pics please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back