2014 Jeep Wrangler Red Line? 5-20 or 5-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: Nomad110
Okay well I'm ordering, Amsoil 5-20 signature series. I'm surprised you guys weren't more opinionated about this engine but I guess these modern engines will run on anything well. While I'm at it I am going to order front and rear severe gear diff fluid from Amsoil. I am also going to order ATF and the synchromesh 5-30 Amsoil sells for the transfer case and manual 6 speed respectively. Any objections? I figured its best to get that swamp water the factory uses out of these components.

I am joining the thread late but will add a few comments FWIW...

You have forgotten one important "oil factor" regarding warranty requirements for your 2014 Jeep and that is API Certification. API Cert matters just as much as the mfg's oil spec. Neither Redline nor Amsoil SS carry it and thus neither is warranty acceptable. It is a big deal to car mfg's so don't listen to anyone who says it doesn't matter. It does. Car mfg's check into what you do for maintenance and verify you did it right. More so these days than at any time I have ever seen in the past( even when I worked in the auto field for many years including time in dealer parts/service ).

If there are no dealer records of OC's( we are talking about oil here so that is what matters )and you have internal engine issues you will be required to provide receipts showing you did enough OC's, with the correct weight/rated oil AND used the correct filter, to cover the time/mileage you have had the vehicle for. If you can't provide it then they are going to say sorry no coverage. Don't listen to those who say otherwise and don't risk it unless you are prepared to pay for the repair yourself and/or get into a long drawn out legal process where you may or may not get a judgment in your favor.

For your 2014 Wrangler use any quality conventional, blend, or synthetic oil you want in 5W20( no one in the US can claim they had no 5W20 available to them so forget about 5W30 )that is API Certified w/ Starburst, and that meets Chrysler MS6395 and be sure you do not go longer on your OC's than 1 year or 10,000 miles( whichever comes 1st ). Also use the correct oil filter by application( don't oversize ). Simple to do and no warranty hassle. If you do your own OC's, or buy the parts and have it changed, keep ALL receipts that show what you used and be sure and record mileage and date so you can prove you did things right.

Redline is GREAT oil but none of it carries API Certification and thus it does not met warranty. Amsoil is also GREAT stuff but only their XL and OE lines will meet your warranty needs. If Amsoil is what you want to run get the XL. It is their best oil that meets all of your needs. If you like Royal Purple their API oils are also excellent and would be a good choice( I run their 5W20 API in my Jeep and it has done very well including the UOA I had done ).

I wouldn't use the Amsoil universal ATF in your t-case. Not that it won't work but once again warranty requirements are an issue. Their universal ATF may well work in place of ATF+4 just as RP's MaxATF does but just like MaxATF it won't satisfy the warranty. You need to use an ATF+4 fluid that is ONLY ATF+4. You are just giving Chrysler an out if problems do happen. I don't know what to tell you on the 6spd manual tranny fluid. Not sure what is a direct replacement for Chrysler manual trans fluid( MS-9224 )? The Amsoil stuff may or may not meet the requirements? If the Chrysler stuff is a specific fluid type though once again running a universal fluid that covers what you need does not meet warranty.

If warranty is of any concern to you be sure you check off all of the boxes not just a couple. You don't have to use OEM fluids and parts but you need to use the correct fluids and parts. Universal fluids do not meet warranty requirements.

Enjoy the new ride.

And that about covers it.

My 2012 Jeep GC has been running fine on 5-30 which it calls for. I have run both synthetic and conventional with no difference at all. I would not worry about running 5-20 either, but I am staying with what the oil cap and book call for to save the drama should something ever go wrong. If the recommended or spec oil was changed to 5-20, I never got a letter saying so.

Okay well I'm ordering, Amsoil 5-20 signature series. I'm surprised you guys weren't more opinionated about this engine but I guess these modern engines will run on anything well. While I'm at it I am going to order front and rear severe gear diff fluid from Amsoil. I am also going to order ATF and the synchromesh 5-30 Amsoil sells for the transfer case and manual 6 speed respectively. Any objections? I figured its best to get that swamp water the factory uses out of these components.

You have forgotten one important "oil factor" regarding warranty requirements for your 2014 Jeep and that is API Certification. API Cert matters just as much as the mfg's oil spec. Neither Redline nor Amsoil SS carry it and thus neither is warranty acceptable. It is a big deal to car mfg's so don't listen to anyone who says it doesn't matter. It does. Car mfg's check into what you do for maintenance and verify you did it right. More so these days than at any time I have ever seen in the past( even when I worked in the auto field for many years including time in dealer parts/service ).

If there are no dealer records of OC's( we are talking about oil here so that is what matters )and you have internal engine issues you will be required to provide receipts showing you did enough OC's, with the correct weight/rated oil AND used the correct filter, to cover the time/mileage you have had the vehicle for. If you can't provide it then they are going to say sorry no coverage. Don't listen to those who say otherwise and don't risk it unless you are prepared to pay for the repair yourself and/or get into a long drawn out legal process where you may or may not get a judgment in your favor.

For your 2014 Wrangler use any quality conventional, blend, or synthetic oil you want in 5W20( no one in the US can claim they had no 5W20 available to them so forget about 5W30 )that is API Certified w/ Starburst, and that meets Chrysler MS6395 and be sure you do not go longer on your OC's than 1 year or 10,000 miles( whichever comes 1st ). Also use the correct oil filter by application( don't oversize ). Simple to do and no warranty hassle. If you do your own OC's, or buy the parts and have it changed, keep ALL receipts that show what you used and be sure and record mileage and date so you can prove you did things right.

Redline is GREAT oil but none of it carries API Certification and thus it does not met warranty. Amsoil is also GREAT stuff but only their XL and OE lines will meet your warranty needs. If Amsoil is what you want to run get the XL. It is their best oil that meets all of your needs. If you like Royal Purple their API oils are also excellent and would be a good choice( I run their 5W20 API in my Jeep and it has done very well including the UOA I had done ).

I wouldn't use the Amsoil universal ATF in your t-case. Not that it won't work but once again warranty requirements are an issue. Their universal ATF may well work in place of ATF+4 just as RP's MaxATF does but just like MaxATF it won't satisfy the warranty. You need to use an ATF+4 fluid that is ONLY ATF+4. You are just giving Chrysler an out if problems do happen. I don't know what to tell you on the 6spd manual tranny fluid. Not sure what is a direct replacement for Chrysler manual trans fluid( MS-9224 )? The Amsoil stuff may or may not meet the requirements? If the Chrysler stuff is a specific fluid type though once again running a universal fluid that covers what you need does not meet warranty.

If warranty is of any concern to you be sure you check off all of the boxes not just a couple. You don't have to use OEM fluids and parts but you need to use the correct fluids and parts. Universal fluids do not meet warranty requirements.

Enjoy the new ride.

Thank you for the insight. I appreciate your comments and understand your point. Only issue is I think Amsoil is API certified. Check this out:

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is excellent for use in all types of gasoline-fueled vehicles. It is recommended for all domestic and foreign vehicles requiring any of the listed performance specifications:

5W-20 (ALM): API SN (Resource Conserving), SM… ILSAC GF-5, GF-4… ACEA A1/B1; Ford WSS-M2C945-A, WSS-M2C930-A; Chrysler MS-6395; GM dexos1™ (supersedes 6094M) Fortified with detergents that exceed dexos1™ sulfated ash specifications.

Does this not say it's API certified? Am I reading this wrong?

I read that as Amsoil saying it is "recommended" for applications requiring those specifications but not necessarily that it is officially approved.

So I called Amsoil and asked them the question my self. They were completely clear about this. They said that all of their oils meet exactly the same certifications that Chrysler calls for on the Jeep Wrangler including API. Infact the oil is listed by Chrysler to them as an approved oil that will not manipulate the warranty status. He then said, that in the event that a manufacturer decides not to cover a certain warranty item due to their oil that their warranty would then kick in. He said in anyway you are covered if you run our oils. He was very adamant about this.

Also, even if Amsoil wasn't going to cover it I would still use it. I won't be left hostage to the what-if situation that may arise if a problem occurs with Chrysler. Honestly if push comes to shove I'll just self insure. The price of knowing that I'm not running the [censored] swamp water that the factory uses is priceless. All of you "oil gurus" should have the same attitude.

Yes, you're reading it wrong. SS is recommended by Amsoil, but is not API certified. Notice there's no API starburst on the front of the bottle, or donut on the back.

T1QFBdXstcXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg_310x310.jpg

If it were API certified, it would have them.

ID1_API.jpg

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
While under warranty, I would only use something that specifically states it is MS-6395 approved. There are plenty of choices, so why would you use something that isn't approved?

So you would rather use a [censored] conventional oil knowing it's worse for you car just because they spent the money to certify the oil when you know that the RedLine or premium synthetic grossly outperforms it? I do my own oil changes so I doubt the dealer would ever really know what's in there.

If you think "conventional" oil is [censored] and worst for your car you have not learned very much have you.

Why ask a question since you know everything?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If you can get Pennzoil Ultra at your local walmart, you can't beat it for about $27 a jug. Will give similar or better performance than boutique oils at a much lower cost if bought at that price.

Spare me the economic reasons...I want to know the best oil in a proven way. Cut to the chase with data and experience.

There is no "proven" way. There is no "best" oil.

So I called Amsoil and asked them the question my self. They were completely clear about this. They said that all of their oils meet exactly the same certifications that Chrysler calls for on the Jeep Wrangler including API. Infact the oil is listed by Chrysler to them as an approved oil that will not manipulate the warranty status. He then said, that in the event that a manufacturer decides not to cover a certain warranty item due to their oil that their warranty would then kick in. He said in anyway you are covered if you run our oils. He was very adamant about this.

Also, even if Amsoil wasn't going to cover it I would still use it. I won't be left hostage to the what-if situation that may arise if a problem occurs with Chrysler. Honestly if push comes to shove I'll just self insure. The price of knowing that I'm not running the [censored] swamp water that the factory uses is priceless. All of you "oil gurus" should have the same attitude.

That is always Amsoil's response and I have disagreed with their stance on legalities of warranty and what car mfg's can and can't do for many, MANY, years. I have never understood why people believe them as if what they say is the Holy Gospel over the car mfg that made the car and is providing the warranty. I don't get that? They actually do have some say in what we must do to preserve that warranty.

However, the undisputable FACT is only Amsoil XL and OE oils( plus a couple diesel oils )are actually API Certified and meet warranty requirements. Amsoil can talk about their other lines meeting API spec's and such but they are NOT certified and thus do not meet requirements. It is very simple really, either the oils are API Certified and carry the Starburst and/or Service Level donut or they are not.

If you have any worry at all about your factory warranty( powertrain components in this case )use one of those 2 oils that actually carry the API Certification symbols on the bottle as the other member pointed out and posted the image of. You also want to be sure and use a specific ATF+4 and MT fluid that is the same as the Chrysler stuff and not a universal fluid. Their signature series oils are NOT API certified and the ATF and MT fluids you talked of are universal types.

For the oils you can click the link below to the API website to see what oils Amsoil offers that carry certification and meet your warranty requirements...

http://eolcs.api.org/companyInformation.aspx?id=226450

I have never seen Chrysler list any Amsoil oil as an "approved" oil? To do so would mean Amsoil paid for and submitted said oil(s) for testing and to my knowledge they have never done that other than for API Certification of XL and OE lines( Pablo may know more on this )? It is just too costly for a boutique oil maker like Amsoil to submit for car mfg's oil testing. I would like to see that documentation.

If you believe Amsoil will stand behind their oil and warranty an engine failure if Chrysler refuses then by all means use it. Just remember that while Amsoil will gladly tell you not to worry about what the car mfg says you must do to preserve their warranty Amsoil themseleves requires you to do specific things for THEIR warranty to remain intact. So if you disregard the car mfg's warranty requirements and will rely on Amsoil to cover you make sure you follow all their requirements or they will duck out too.
smirk.gif
You are going to have to follow one set of guidelines or the other.

Actually, the factory fill from Chrysler is either Shell or Pennzoil and that is far from swamp water?

You seem to care about your factory warranty coverage. With a 5 year/100K powertrain warranty from the factory I would care too( and do with my jeep ). If so you would be wise to listen to the folks here letting you know how it is. Many of us, myself included, have worked dealer service and are trying to let you know that you are setting yourself up for a hassle if an engine issue happens.

You have many fine oil options available to you that actually meet all of your warranty requirements, including Amsoil XL if Amsoil is what you want to run, that it just makes no sense to insist on using an oil that doesn't meet the requirements. Why would you even consider the risk and hassle with what new vehicles cost to repair?

In the end it is your vehicle and your money so run what you wish. Just remember that you are setting yourself up for warranty hassles and denials by the car mfg by not running the correct fluids/parts. Again, if you are relying on Amsoil in that case read all of their warranty fine print and follow their guidelines to the letter. They too will look for anything that will let them out of coverage.

I would love to run Royal Purple fluids all around in my Jeep. I always run it where I can when they offer what I need. Unfortunately, they only offer oil that I can run in my Jeep while it is under warranty. Sure, I could use some of their other fluids( that would work just fine )but if a problem cropped up I know what would happen and it is not worth it to me. When warranty is out that is different. Until then I will run what I can and then get the other fluids from another fluid mfg that offers what I want in a quality product that meets requirements.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever you do.
cheers3.gif

Enjoy the new ride.

Thank you for the insight. I appreciate your comments and understand your point. Only issue is I think Amsoil is API certified. Check this out:

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is excellent for use in all types of gasoline-fueled vehicles. It is recommended for all domestic and foreign vehicles requiring any of the listed performance specifications:

5W-20 (ALM): API SN (Resource Conserving), SM… ILSAC GF-5, GF-4… ACEA A1/B1; Ford WSS-M2C945-A, WSS-M2C930-A; Chrysler MS-6395; GM dexos1™ (supersedes 6094M) Fortified with detergents that exceed dexos1™ sulfated ash specifications.

Does this not say it's API certified? Am I reading this wrong?

You are reading it wrong as no where does it say the SS oils ARE certified. That simply says they recommend it where such and such a spec is called for. Doesn't even say it meets the specs in question.

Signature Series is not API Certified. As I and others have told you only their XL and OE oils( plus a couple diesel oils )actually are certified.

In the post above I give you a direct link to the API license site.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
It is DEFINITELY WRONG to say using Amsoil SS will violate your warranty. Please stop repeating this myth. What Amsoil told Nomad110 is correct.

That is the Amsoil company line and I would expect no less from you being an Amsoil dealer. You are a good guy and I mean no disrespect but it is no myth sir. Based on personal as well as work( dealer parts/service )experience with this I disagree 100% with you.

Understand I am not saying SS is bad oil. I am simply advising the OP that it does not meet his warranty requirements. Amsoil offers a perfectly good oil that does in the XL line so the OP would be wise to just sue that while under warranty.

Even if you and Amsoil are correct( and I do NOT concede that in the least ), but let's say you/they are, the OP is setting himself up for a lot of hassle if something happens using the SS line. Disputes with car mfg's over these things get ugly and they get drawn out. It just is not worth it. He might win a legal case( or he may lose too )but again is the time and expense worth it? Is the OP prepared to pay for the repair and then fight Chrysler in court for months or even years to get reimbursed? Or worse not be able to afford to pay himself and have the vehicle sit while it all gets sorted out?

You can believe what you wish and that is fine. So can the OP. I am merely trying to help the guy out and save him a headache that is needless.

Also, I am not saying using SS voids his entire warranty. I am saying it places his engine portion of the warranty at risk if something happens because it does not meet the requirements Chrysler calls for.

Last edited:
Simply USING AMSOIL SS DOES NOT VIOLATE ANY WARRANTY REQUIREMENTS.

Please stop telling people it does.

Please stop telling people it is ok to use it where it is not. If the car mfg calls for an API Certified oil that rules out Amsoil SS and some of their others. It places XL and OE into the correct product to use.

Last edited:
It is DEFINITELY WRONG to say using Amsoil SS will violate your warranty. Please stop repeating this myth. What Amsoil told Nomad110 is correct.

Thank you. It doesn't matter what they say I'm using Amsoil SS. I know I'll be fine. If the spooks want to freak out about it go ahead. For those that actually provided information about oils I was asking about and spared me the boiler plate [censored], I thank you.

Thank you. It doesn't matter what they say I'm using Amsoil SS. I know I'll be fine. If the spooks want to freak out about it go ahead. For those that actually provided information about oils I was asking about and spared me the boiler plate [censored], I thank you.

Wow, what a piece of work. I regret wasting my time now trying to help you out. I never said don't use any product either. I merely pointed out the risks involved in using products that don't meet your warranty requirements so you would have all the info to make an informed decision.

Why did you even ask? You seem to know it all already?

Unbelievable.

Please stop telling people it is ok to use it where it is not. If the car mfg calls for an API Certified oil that rules out Amsoil SS and some of their others. It places XL and OE into the correct product to use.

Does the manufacturer put in writing: "SHALL use "API Certified oil" or the warranty will be null and void"?

It's all in the writing, the word choice.

Wow, what a piece of work. I regret wasting my time now trying to help you out. I never said don't use any product either. I merely pointed out the risks involved in using products that don't meet your warranty requirements so you would have all the info to make an informed decision.

Unbelievable.

If you recall I asked what oil is best for this engine. Not what oil is best for the lawyers who you fear are going rape you on a warranty claim. If I cared about that I would just use the [censored] the dealer sells and not give a [censored]. Next time I ask an oil question I'll make sure to put a big disclaimer saying, I don't care about warranties. Jeeez!!

Unbelievable.

If you recall I asked what oil is best for this engine. Not what oil is best for the lawyers who you fear are going rape you on a warranty claim. If I cared about that I would just use the [censored] the dealer sells and not give a [censored]. Next time I ask an oil question I'll make sure to put a big disclaimer saying, I don't care about warranties. Jeeez!!

Whatever my man. Run what makes you happy. In the end it is your vehicle so you have the final say.
thumbsup2.gif

Just to be fair however YOU talked about the oil requirements in the owner's manual( you even quoted some of it )and thus myself and others felt you cared about the factory warranty. Most folks who buy a brand new vehicle do care as repair costs run into the thousands and thousands of dollars. If that 3.6L grenades you are talking $4000-$5000+ to fix it on the conservative end.

Good luck with it. Amsoil SS is good oil. Hopefully you won't have any engine issues. IF you do then you will just have to deal with the consequences of running a non warranty compliant oil if Chrysler checks into it( and 99.9% they will ).

I will bow out now. I was just trying to help but clearly you don't want it. Again, good luck with the new Jeep.
11.gif

Last edited:

Does the manufacturer put in writing: "SHALL use "API Certified oil" or the warranty will be null and void"?

It's all in the writing, the word choice.

You and I have gone over this before many times( too many ). I am not doing it again. I am tired of arguing with Amsoil shills. I know what is in the OM, I know what car mfg's require and how they handle things, and I know that Amsoil SS is not API Certified. Nuff said.

Amsoil XL "IS" API Certified and is a fine oil. It would do everything the OP needs to be done and it fully meets his warranty requirements. It is a no brainer. Save the SS for after warranty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back