1997 Toyota Camry Timing belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previous owner has had it for 85k miles and hasn't changed it, it has 185k now. Who knows what the person before him did.

Be careful with car stealers they may advertise $225.00 but when they open it up and they tell you it needs one of these and 2 of those and..... your bill will go way up. most of them are not so honest as we all know.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Be careful with car stealers they may advertise $225.00 but when they open it up and they tell you it needs one of these and 2 of those and..... your bill will go way up. most of them are not so honest as we all know.

Sure, telling customers what their car really needs is a dishonest practice?

The coupon clearly states to see the dealer for other important details; anyone who is remotely familiar with a timing belt system will know that a complete service will often require more than just the belt. And don't tell me that this is a bait and switch -- if you are not an educated consumer, that's your own darn fault.

You have a serious, unwarranted bias against dealerships. What makes independent shops so great anyway? They lack the continual factory training, availability of tech line for assistance and are unable to provide the service experience that most discerning clients expect. The dealership is almost always the most consistent, safest choice for a quality repair using the proper parts.

Critic - I rarely do this, but wow that is one heck of a good post. Especially the part about being an educated consumer.

If I wanted to buy a fancy $1,000 watch tomorrow, then I would call up one of my buddies that might know a thing or two about watches...because I know NOTHING about them, except that they tell time. Likewise if one of them called me up and said why is my car making this noise, I would tell them to bring it over. It is not anyones (dealers) fault if a consumer doesn't know anything about cars and "feels misled" or "ripped off".

My Wife drives the same car, same engine with 200k on the clock. Yea, time to change it, it won't break tomorrow, but it's time anyway.

Probably sold it rather than do the belt. Most likely original belt in there.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Previous owner has had it for 85k miles and hasn't changed it, it has 185k now. Who knows what the person before him did.

+1 for The Critic; Dealership did the TB on my friends V8 Tundra for much less than an independent shop. With an engine with so little production @ the time, I didn't want someone with little or no documentation/experience "in there"

Last edited:
Belt itself isn't difficult at all. BUT I would seals and pump if it was never done before. Add the belts as well. Careful with the PWR Str belt, mine always seems to slip a bit and loosen on me.

If I just got mine at 185k I would do plugs, wires, cap, fuel filter, PCV and then the timing belt and other belts with seals and pump also. These aren't expensive or difficult. End it with a radiator drain refill (distilled water of course) and ride her for a while.

I would keep a valve cover gasket handy (cheap) as they are know to leak out after a while. Easiest gasket ever to fix!!

While you in there and have it all apart, Definately replace all of the oil seals that are right there!

Originally Posted By: The Critic
...The dealership is almost always the most consistent, safest choice for a quality repair using the proper parts...

LOL!

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Sure, telling customers what their car really needs is a dishonest practice?

The coupon clearly states to see the dealer for other important details; anyone who is remotely familiar with a timing belt system will know that a complete service will often require more than just the belt. And don't tell me that this is a bait and switch -- if you are not an educated consumer, that's your own darn fault.

You have a serious, unwarranted bias against dealerships. What makes independent shops so great anyway? They lack the continual factory training, availability of tech line for assistance and are unable to provide the service experience that most discerning clients expect. The dealership is almost always the most consistent, safest choice for a quality repair using the proper parts.

I definitely agree with the first part of your post. It can be pretty frustrating when you tell a customer they need additional work and they look at you with distrust... Like you're trying to rip them off. I suppose being a mechanic is a bit like being a lawyer. Many people never completely trust them and only go when they're in hot water, then complain when they're through...

The second part, I'm not completely in agreement with. The continual lack of factory training to me really only comes in on the newest cars. Good indy shops undergo schooling or look for other ways to stay current on their knowledge. They also have tech resources available to them, including factory hotlines or factory trained hotlines in many cases. All they have to do is pay. The bottom line is, while a dealer can be a safe bet in many cases, good workmanship follows the mechanic, not the name on the building.

When the stealers advertise $200.00 and then there is all the "extras" they "forgot" to mention that brings the grand total up to a whopping $500.00 dollars yes that is dishonest and very stealer like. Some of them are forced to be a little more honest because word travels fast these days and they have very little non warranty business. Now there are exceptions to every rule there are some that a good and honest but on the average everyone knows....

Some of the people they have working at the stealers are not so great by any means thats for sure

Some of the people they have working at the independent shops are not so great by any means thats for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back