Ahh, the joys of the season approach

Status
Not open for further replies.
The joy of the season is upon us as we look forward to warm and happy shopping times with our families and so on..I can't wait for it...................not.

I choose not to participate in the madness. I don't care how much money I would save on things I don't need.

I'll get the occasional item online on Black Friday / Cyber Monday.

For some reason, I thought of one scene from "A Charlie Brown Christmas":

[Linus knocks on an aluminum Christmas tree, which gives a metallic "clank" "clank"]

Linus Van Pelt: This really brings Christmas close to a person.

Charlie Brown: [gazes in amazement] Fantastic...

Heh heh, best to stay home and get ready for winter. My house is a refuge from all the hustle and bustle. I plan my forays into town for off peak hours. The computer allows me to shop on line. For big stuff I can make sure the item is in stock before I set out to buy it.

I haven't been to a B&M during the "holiday season" for years. I buy everything online and you can do just as well doing that.

I'm proud to say I've never been shopping on Black Friday. I'm not ready to get into a fist fight over a $5 towel set.

"K: A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."

-from "Men in Black"

...and all those people know that Black Friday has the best deals.

What a bunch of consumeristic media fueled marketing promoted big business manipulated hooey.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

"K: A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."

-from "Men in Black"

...and all those people know that Black Friday has the best deals.

What a bunch of consumeristic media fueled marketing promoted big business manipulated hooey.
Amen on that...

all you smart folks who stay the heck home, keep me in your thoughts and prayers... I generally have to work those days every year. ...which also means i can never get any of the "deals" offered, b/c by the time i get a break, they're sold out, b/c idiots our customers have been waiting in line for them for 12+hrs
(the joys of being a cashier...)

Black Friday is for people with nothing better to do with their time, or who have not discovered the internet.

I'm pretty sure whatever they have on "sale" at 4am on Friday I could wake up at 8am, have a cup of coffee, log onto Amazon, Ebay, or Newegg and have the same or a better version within a few bucks at my door by Tuesday.

Last edited:
Ugh. No way! I will be asleep while all those people are jamming the stores that morning. I feel bad for the employees who have to work such rotten hours for that.

It will be a cold day in hades before i face that madness to save $1.29 on a toaster oven or some such nonsense.
People just don't put any value on their time, i make more working in a couple of hours than i would save messing around and getting stressed out shopping the whole day.

Sometimes I do get an amazing deal on that day, and afterwards it goes back up in price, and stays there for 6 months.

You really want to know what bothers me about this season? It bothers me that at so many places, the same few Christmas themed songs get played so often that it gets maddening.

There is a guy called the Angry Video Game Nerd that makes fun of the stupid stuff at Christmas time, and reviews bad videogames, but I can't link to him because he says the most offensive things.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
The joy of the season is upon us as we look forward to warm and happy shopping times with our families and so on..I can't wait for it...................not.

Reminds me of Walmart Valley Stream a few years ago were some poor employee was trampled to death on Black Friday. I won't go near the place on Black Friday. In fact if I do have to go there I'll go when they first open up in the morning and make sure it isn't on a holiday.

For about 15 yrs now, I say "there's no place like home, there's no place like home," as I drive in the drive way at the end of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back