Mac tools ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

Looking at buying some sockets used on ebay ...

There is a lot Mac tools are they any good ?

I'm tired of the cheap stuff stripping bolts ...

Thank you

Yeah they're okay.

Poke around on garagejournal.com until you go crazy.

Somewhere they test sockets for round-off-ability.

Thank you, Any other recommendations ?

Matco
Snap On ?

I will be getting used stuff so I will hunt them for cheap

new stuff prices are insane.

If you buy Mac,Matco,Cornwell...they should be warrantyable thru the tool trucks.

Originally Posted By: Ndx
Hi Guys,

Looking at buying some sockets used on ebay ...

There is a lot Mac tools are they any good ?

I'm tired of the cheap stuff stripping bolts ...

Thank you

I'm a UPS diesel semi mechanic. I own some Stanley made tools. Stanley has owned Mac for 30+ years and I've never had issues with their stuff.
Are you using 12 point sockets which can round off bolt/nut heads easier than 6 points?

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
If you buy Mac,Matco,Cornwell...they should be warrantyable thru the tool trucks.

Not sure if they would like to talk to me as they were purchased online, I don't have a shop either...

Quote:
I'm a UPS diesel semi mechanic. I own some Stanley made tools. Stanley has owned Mac for 30+ years and I've never had issues with their stuff.
Are you using 12 point sockets which can round off bolt/nut heads easier than 6 points?

6 points, I think the only Stanlet staff that I can get my hands on now ... is all made over sea... so not sure about the QC.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I would want really old sockets. Newer sockets if made right contacts the bolt/nut on the flat NOT the corner. Newer Craftsman socket are like this now. I think the Snap-On patent expires years ago so others may use the newer method.

I might look at Cornwell still make in US and prices are pretty good even for new.

Mac tools are every bit as good as Snap On. I've been using Mac tools for my entire career as a professional mechanic, both aircraft and automotive.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Take a look at PROTO, they're some of the best sockets in the world.

Proto is definitely on the top shelf as quite a few others, most of my favorites wont be found on ebay USA, e.g.Dowidat (not Gedore), pre Wiha made Heyco, Hazet, Stahlwille, old Facom, etc.
Some old Craftsman and Stanley were very good sockets, i still own quite a few and never broke one in many yrs or hard use and even some serious abuse, they were cheap and i treated them that way.

The worst sockets i ever owned were Snap-On, they cracked like crazy. Nice finish on them but the durability of a pretzel, i tried multiple sets just to make sure i didn't have a bad batch of steel.
Their ratchets and wrenches are among the very best, go figure.

Originally Posted By: Trav

The worst sockets i ever owned were Snap-On, they cracked like crazy. Nice finish on them but the durability of a pretzel, i tried multiple sets just to make sure i didn't have a bad batch of steel.

What were the circumstances leading up to the breakage? Were you using a 1/2 inch drive
adapter stepped down to a 3/8 inch drive socket with a 24 inch long breaker bar?

No. The 3/8 drive failed the most, i have a 16" 3/8 slim breaker bar that is good for tight places.
This was around 1986 or 87, i was so disgusted with them i never bought another socket from them.

Originally Posted By: Ndx
so is bluepoint better then Mac ?

Thank you

No, Blue Point is not better than Mac. If they are USA made then you are good to go. I have a lot of Mac tools handed down to me by dad and they are awesome. The quality is on par with Snap-On he gave me. Now, depends if these sockets are made here or not.

If I were you, I would look online for Williams sockets. They have new Williams sockets (6 pts) USA made for some of the best prices around. Quality is great! Just make sure they are listed as USA made. Rumor has it that the non-USA made Williams are Blue Point tools. Not sure if that is totally accurate.

One site I use is toolsdelivered.com

Originally Posted By: Trav
No. The 3/8 drive failed the most, i have a 16" 3/8 slim breaker bar that is good for tight places.
This was around 1986 or 87, i was so disgusted with them i never bought another socket from them.

So are you saying you cracked the 3/8 drive sockets with that 16 inch long breaker bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back