Used tool prices.

I need some basic hand tools to go on the service truck so I'm not constantly swapping tools from my box to the truck or getting to a job site and not having a basic wrench.

We went to a bunch of pawn shops and didn't have much luck. The last one did have some stuff.

I found.

1/4 AC Delco combination wrench. Unsure of it's coo.

8mm AC Delco combination wrench. Unsure of it's coo.

10mm Craftsman raised panel wrench. USA.

Pittsburgh 3in long 1/2 drive extension. China I'm sure.

Mac 10mm 3/8 drive wobble socket. USA.

10mm Craftsman socket 3/8 drive made in USA.

Put them on the counter and the guy said $50 if I use a card and $40 if I paid cash.

I walked. I didn't feel the tools were worth that being used.

Was I wrong?

At one point I tried to keep a list of whatever size I was in need of, and keep that list on me during spring, when people do spring cleaning and garage sales are all over the place. Eventually I just bought a set or two from HF and called it done.

That said, if it's a minor hindrance, just keep an eye open. Never know when the deal will pop up.

Also, if it's really important, why not a grab-bag of commonly used tools that you can just take with you? I usually take my laptop back and forth to work, carrying around a DMM or other tools is but a minor bump in weight. If it's just a few tools, find a nice bag and be in the habit of always taking with you.

$5 max. They're used and mismatched. I'd only buy a single tool there if I were missing a particular one from my box.

At one point I tried to keep a list of whatever size I was in need of, and keep that list on me during spring, when people do spring cleaning and garage sales are all over the place. Eventually I just bought a set or two from HF and called it done.

That said, if it's a minor hindrance, just keep an eye open. Never know when the deal will pop up.

Also, if it's really important, why not a grab-bag of commonly used tools that you can just take with you? I usually take my laptop back and forth to work, carrying around a DMM or other tools is but a minor bump in weight. If it's just a few tools, find a nice bag and be in the habit of always taking with you.
That's what I'm basically doing. But my tools are in my box @ work and I need them there.

That's what I'm basically doing. But my tools are in my box @ work and I need them there.
Just how many do you need to carry with you? I mean, you could bring them with you, or just buy a second set for the truck. But I'm not sure how much weight we are talking about... at some point you'd not want to carry around, but would want locked down, that I can understand.

Shouldn't a service truck have a toolset in it?

I would have walked too. If you were closer I’d hook you up with some sockets. I’ve got over 2,000 between home, work and the cars lol. No way I would have paid that much at a pawn shop for used tools. At my pawn shop I can fill up a box for $20 ($10 this month for my birthday as they like me lol) that’s how I’ve accumulated so many sockets, wrenches and screwdrivers.

Just how many do you need to carry with you? I mean, you could bring them with you, or just buy a second set for the truck. But I'm not sure how much weight we are talking about... at some point you'd not want to carry around, but would want locked down, that I can understand.

Shouldn't a service truck have a toolset in it?
I'm working on every thing from small engines to giant excavators. Company supplied the truck I got thrown into.

I'm not financially able to spend $50k in tools at my pay rate. Remember I have to drill a well soon too .

Expensive, but if you’re in the middle of nowhere and have expensive ca regulations and power costs, and there aren’t any other choices nearby, then…

You should hit up some flea markets.
You could probably do better there.
Yep, flea market/swap meets are good. Usually wrenches are $1, sockets $.25 max. I dig through for anything snap on or interesting. I got a set of made in Japan wrenches for $3 for my desert tool bag. Also watch ebay for deals. Good deals go quick if Buy it now.

If you surf Amazon there's a surprising amount of off-brand stuff you've never heard of that looks decent and has good reviews and is really, really affordable. Like HF of old but higher quality

If you surf Amazon there's a surprising amount of off-brand stuff you've never heard of that looks decent and has good reviews and is really, really affordable. Like HF of old but higher quality
Yup, I bought some socket sets for when I get a trailer. No need to have SnapOn in a trailer that could get stolen.

eBay isn’t unreasonable for used tools. Lots of USA Craftsman stuff too.

If you don’t mind new, I’d look into Tekton. Their socket sets and wrench sets seem nice for the money.

I'm working on every thing from small engines to giant excavators. Company supplied the truck I got thrown into.

I'm not financially able to spend $50k in tools at my pay rate. Remember I have to drill a well soon too .
Easy, I'd tell the boss he needs to equip his truck with tools or give you a good raise to afford them, or find someone else that has the 50K in tools. Don't worry an ad for another mechanic will go for months before anyone answers it.
And yes off brand is okay in a truck that can get wet and rusty or stolen. Any of the Taiwan made ones are okay.

Back