Weird substance floating in coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to this forum and would like to thank you all in advance for all the help. I have searched this forum before and finally registered. Here is my problem. The truck I am working on is a 2000 F-250 with a 7.3 Powerstroke. I have worked on many 7.3's and have never seen this before. This is a friends truck and when he brought it to me to replace the GPR with a White Rogwes unit I noticed a layer of something floating in his coolant degas tank. It was about 3/16 inche thick layer. I have seen oil and fuel, but I do not think it is either. I put a sample from the truck in a bottle. To show him it wasn't oil I filled another bottle with new coolant and added oil. I shook them both up and after everything settled the two do not look at all similar. It does not smell like fuel, and I am baffled. He did tell me he put bars leak in the truck a while back because he was losing coolant. My question is, What could this be? Could it be the stop leak contaminating the coolant? Thank you for your time. -Jacob

Originally Posted By: Jakeman711
Could it be the stop leak contaminating the coolant? Thank you for your time. -Jacob

Yes of course it could.

What kind/color of coolant?

Check the cap to make sure it holds pressure or just replace it. If its original its probably bad.

It's very probable that its an agglomerated piece of the stop leak that has been either circulating through the system or broke loose.
Have you removed it from the tank? Is it a softish,pliable metal or what is it.

It's a liquid that floats on top of the coolant. It doesn't look like fuel, nor does it smell like it. It almost looks like older dirty green coolant floating on top of the pink coolant.

I don't know which coolant the pink stuff is, but if it was loosing coolant it could have been topped up with who knows what more than once.

I would flush it good and put new coolant in.

There are many kinds of stop leak on the market, so depending on what your friend used, it could very well be the stop leak. One kind is aluminum flakes - they'll show up as tiny silver specks floating around in your coolant. Another kind is silvery, but is more of a thick gunk that makes the coolant look "lumpy." Yet another kind comes in tablet form and is made from crushed walnut shells. This will look like coffee grounds or brown mud. And finally, there is the famous "Bars" pellets. This comes in a bottle. The pellets are mixed with a fluid and when added to your rad, the pellets are suppose to dissolve and fill the hole or holes as it flows through the cooling system. This makes the coolant look sludgey and gunky and oily. From what you describe, I would say he added the "Bars" pellets product. If you flush the rad, it will wash this product out of the cooling system and it will leak again, maybe even worse than before.

The coolant overflow tank also serves as the "spit bowl" of the cooling system. Therefore, most of the crud it generates due to metal corrosion, normal wear and tear, hoses, additives, and spent coolant will eventually get there, as the system is designed to do. Chances are you encountered some coolant drop-out or old additive in that tank. Once you change the coolant, the fresh fluid will more than likely (and slowly) cleanse the system. Therefore, additional waste at the overflow tank can be expected. Several flushes of the cooling system are a good idea.

I know they are only related by name and manufacturer, but on the 6.0 Powerstrokes a coolant filter along with EC-1 coolant is the preferred method of keeping the cooling system clean. A coolant filter never hurt on one of those trucks, even a 7.3L.

Thank you all for the replies, the people of this forum are full of knowledge. He told me he used fleet charge the last time he flushed the coolant. It makes sense as that coolant is pink. Is there a way to test the substance to see if it is fuel? I suppose he could have a bad injector sleeve. I just don't want to pull valve covers and injectors if it isn't fuel. I also have a pic but can't figure out how to post them on here.

bad injector sleave(s), bad front cover gasket (mine did) or bad oil cooler - not common on the 7.3's, but I've seen them fail @ the o rings and the tubes themselves.

I hate to see someone treat a 7.3 like this. I hope he's spraying that truck w/ oil or fluid film to keep it from rusting out. Melt wax and spray it on the oil pan too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back