Honda's reason for multiple oil changes 1 filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: tig1
For the extra cost(maybe 2 cents or less per day at 10K OCIs)I won't put 4 qts of new oil mixed with 1/4 to 1/2 of old oil. Honda should know better than this silly argument.

What's wrong with old oil in there, other than an antiquated belief that you need to get out as much used oil as possible? I'd hope that by the time the oil is changed, the used oil is still protecting the engine and the additives haven't been totally depleted. An oil change is primarily replenishing the oil's additives and putting in new base oil. You're renewing it and not completely replacing it. You've got a filter to keep out stuff that will damage the engine if allowed to recirculate. I've thought that a good idea might even be to have an oiling system where only half the oil is removed on each oil change. I've heard reports that engine wear actually goes up after an oil change for a few hundred miles - primarily because the antiwear additives take time to heat activate. The only difficulty of that is when changing oil weights or worries about incompatibilities if the new oil is vastly different than the old oil. Automatic transmissions universally deal with old fluid.

There's typically more oil than that left in a car even after a full drain. So there's 1/4 quart of oil in a filter that stays in there. How big a deal is that when there's already a half quart or more that remains in the oil galleys or sitting on top of the valve train? Recently I've shined a light in the filler cap of my wife's Civic. You can see several of the valves and the valve lash adjustment. There's lots and lots of oil still there, including in some areas where it will remain there indefinitely because it's physically trapped and not removed until oil from the sump is splashed there and displaces it.

This was a fun discussion on this issue of oil remaining in the engine after most of the oil drained. The consensus was that a brand new engine might need anywhere from a half quart to 1.5 quarts more oil than required for a "full" oil change with filter. One guy looked at his Civic's owner's manual, which specified an oil capacity of 4.7 quarts but a full oil change (with filter) at 3.9 quarts. So what's the practical difference between 0.8 quarts of the existing oil remaining and 1.0 quarts?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1165846&page=all

With my wife's Civic, the total capacity is 4.4 quarts but with a full oil change capacity of 3.4 quarts and an oil only change of 3.2 quarts. So about 23% of the old oil remains there after a regular oil change with filter, and 28% without a filter change.

honda.com/assets/OWNERLINK/Model/own_man/2002CivicSd.pdf

I think there's an old expression to describe arguments of little significance. How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? We're debating if a quarter quart of oil left in an oil filter is creating more wear, when there's already a full quart or more of oil left behind. They've already thought of that oil and figure it's not reducing longevity. In fact I think it's probably helpful for longevity because the remaining oil already has activated antiwear additives and because it helps protect engine parts before oil pressure is built up. I doubt you'd actually want to start with every last bit of oil teleported out of there and new oil poured in the engine. The people designing these engines are fully cognizant that there will be old oil left in there regardless of whether or not the filter is removed.

"One Filter, One OCI!"
34.gif

That's what I usually do. However, I did change oil only a few times during breakin and once on my wife's Civic because I couldn't reach the filter without ramps.

However, what I was getting at was that worrying about 1/4 quart of oil remaining in an unchanged filter ignores that there's another quart of old oil that's not coming out without removing the valve cover and sponging it off or sucking it out. Getting that additional 1/4 quart out is essentially meaningless in terms of protecting the engine.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
For the extra cost(maybe 2 cents or less per day at 10K OCIs)I won't put 4 qts of new oil mixed with 1/4 to 1/2 of old oil. Honda should know better than this silly argument.

What's wrong with old oil in there, other than an antiquated belief that you need to get out as much used oil as possible? I'd hope that by the time the oil is changed, the used oil is still protecting the engine and the additives haven't been totally depleted. An oil change is primarily replenishing the oil's additives and putting in new base oil. You're renewing it and not completely replacing it. You've got a filter to keep out stuff that will damage the engine if allowed to recirculate. I've thought that a good idea might even be to have an oiling system where only half the oil is removed on each oil change. I've heard reports that engine wear actually goes up after an oil change for a few hundred miles - primarily because the antiwear additives take time to heat activate. The only difficulty of that is when changing oil weights or worries about incompatibilities if the new oil is vastly different than the old oil. Automatic transmissions universally deal with old fluid.

There's typically more oil than that left in a car even after a full drain. So there's 1/4 quart of oil in a filter that stays in there. How big a deal is that when there's already a half quart or more that remains in the oil galleys or sitting on top of the valve train? Recently I've shined a light in the filler cap of my wife's Civic. You can see several of the valves and the valve lash adjustment. There's lots and lots of oil still there, including in some areas where it will remain there indefinitely because it's physically trapped and not removed until oil from the sump is splashed there and displaces it.

This was a fun discussion on this issue of oil remaining in the engine after most of the oil drained. The consensus was that a brand new engine might need anywhere from a half quart to 1.5 quarts more oil than required for a "full" oil change with filter. One guy looked at his Civic's owner's manual, which specified an oil capacity of 4.7 quarts but a full oil change (with filter) at 3.9 quarts. So what's the practical difference between 0.8 quarts of the existing oil remaining and 1.0 quarts?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1165846&page=all

With my wife's Civic, the total capacity is 4.4 quarts but with a full oil change capacity of 3.4 quarts and an oil only change of 3.2 quarts. So about 23% of the old oil remains there after a regular oil change with filter, and 28% without a filter change.

honda.com/assets/OWNERLINK/Model/own_man/2002CivicSd.pdf

I think there's an old expression to describe arguments of little significance. How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? We're debating if a quarter quart of oil left in an oil filter is creating more wear, when there's already a full quart or more of oil left behind. They've already thought of that oil and figure it's not reducing longevity. In fact I think it's probably helpful for longevity because the remaining oil already has activated antiwear additives and because it helps protect engine parts before oil pressure is built up. I doubt you'd actually want to start with every last bit of oil teleported out of there and new oil poured in the engine. The people designing these engines are fully cognizant that there will be old oil left in there regardless of whether or not the filter is removed.

"One Filter, One OCI!"
34.gif

That's what I usually do. However, I did change oil only a few times during breakin and once on my wife's Civic because I couldn't reach the filter without ramps.

However, what I was getting at was that worrying about 1/4 quart of oil remaining in an unchanged filter ignores that there's another quart of old oil that's not coming out without removing the valve cover and sponging it off or sucking it out. Getting that additional 1/4 quart out is essentially meaningless in terms of protecting the engine.

I have over 100k miles on my S2000 and I change the filter every other oil change. My wear numbers are very low and I can't get my S2000 to burn any oil even after 7500 miles that were "fun" miles if you know what I mean. I have yet had to add any oil to my S in the 3 years I've had it. I have to check the oil when I change the oil to make sure I leave enough room for the 8 oz. of Liqui Moly MOS2 that I use.

ROD

Yeah I guess I have too many oil filters. Since my OCI on my Ridgeline are about 6500-7200 miles and I'm using Bosch D+, Fram Ultra, K&N, etc. I'll probably be doing an every other filter change. And I plan on going back to Pennzoil Ultra and Platinum for the next few years (with a QSUD thrown in here and there).

Originally Posted By: JavierG
Yeah I guess I have too many oil filters. Since my OCI on my Ridgeline are about 6500-7200 miles and I'm using Bosch D+, Fram Ultra, K&N, etc. I'll probably be doing an every other filter change. And I plan on going back to Pennzoil Ultra and Platinum for the next few years (with a QSUD thrown in here and there).

Well at least you're able to understand the thought behind the idea instead of closing your mind and shut off your ability to learn.
Dnewton just ran a puro classic 15000 miles using supertech oil and his insols are below oil condemnation limits which proves that an entry level filter is more than capable of longer drains,in this case triple the distance in a soccer mom,city driving application,and still filter the oil properly,actually better,than if changed every 5000 miles.
I've been saying the same thing for some time now. An oil filter filters out smaller particulate as it gets loaded up,and gets better as time goes on and it gets loaded.
Jim Allen even installed pressure gauges pre and post filter to see if his filter was exhibiting any problems and he ran a classic for 10000 miles.
It's just more evidence that 5000 mile filter change intervals are an unnecessary expense and a consumer is fooling themselves into believing otherwise.
There is an exception though and that's an engine with unknown history or is known to have deposits. In that example all bets are off and their is no one size fits all,you gotta roll with the punches in that situation however a known clean and well maintained engine will benefit having an oil filter left in service for 10000 miles,using an entry level quality brand filter.
A Bosch distance+ can run 15000 miles or more and in the case of a fram ultra I'd not hesitate running one 25000 miles in my applications.
I've been running filters for 2 and 3 oil changes for years. I never believed the salesman and I've got my 99 chev with 270-280 on the odo and that truck never consumed enough oil to notice between changes,being operated in the dustiest warm weather environment and our bitter -40 winters.
Remember,if the engine is known clean you can run a safe 10000 miles using an ocod or puro classic and as the filter quality improves so does the run interval.
Its refreshing to see an open mind and a special thanks to Dnewton and Jim Allen for their efforts in testing and the data posted.
When I read posts suggesting 8000 mile drains with an ultra its a sure sign the poster has no actual experience and is parroting what the parts guy at the store told him.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

The "cost" of the filter is more than the price you pay at the counter. Used oil filters are increasingly problematic in terms of landfilling and recycling. North Carolina passed a law last year that bans oil filters from a landfill. Basically, it's illegal to throw an oil filter into the trash--it must be recycled. There's a cost associated with capturing and dealing with a hazardous waste (the used oil from the filter). This is a process that requires labor ($$) and energy ($$). As leachate from landfills falls under increased scrutiny, I think you'll see more pressure to ban these types of things from landfills.

agree.
the gotta have every drop of oil new and clean approach, I never understood. 2 OCI for me per my 99 infiniti owners manual.

If we reduce waste (especially when the product is still serviceable), we save landfill space and we save energy and tax dollars that would otherwise be used to crush good oil filters. There's nothing silly in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back