Subaru Impreza - mechanically reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: Trav
Well good for you but what about the ones that do? A lot of engines have piston slap but mine doesn't, so what.

No need to be rude to another member for simply sharing his experience and pointing out that there are examples of Subarus not burning oil.

Rude? I missed it, I guess. Carry on.

Read up the FB engine in 2.0L may have had oil consumption issues potentially just its first year. It does not use 2.5FB eluded to here.

The other large variable is the CVT if you skip the manual. Completely unknown.

This is coming from a guy who got his first car as XT coupe 4cylinder in highschool and has owned two in the last 10 years. Currently at family get togethers there are 6 in driveway. I will state my entire family with about 20 Subaru's over years have yet to get a "bad" one. They seem to be average to well above average in reliability.

Our current 2005 Legacy GT(turbo EJ255) wagon with 157k does not burn a drop of oil over 4k intervals. It has been problem free engine/turbo.

Should be a no-brainer if you go with the MT. After reading various threads and reviews it seems their CVT isn't the most well-mannered unit (that's not to say it won't be reliable).

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Read up the FB engine in 2.0L may have had oil consumption issues potentially just its first year. It does not use 2.5FB eluded to here.

I followed up with a guy that I kayak with that has the Impreza 2.0i Sport Limited. He said he really likes the car but is overall is disappointed with the car due to oil consumption.

Maybe you should try to shoot for the 2.5L FB25.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Mark_Walk
Have I seen some info about this new engine burning oil?

I do like the oil filter placement....a snap to change.

The new ones? Even the old ones used a little but its because of the design not any sort of failure.
Great engines and great cars, i would personally go with a stick. Slide and drive CVT transmissions are nothing i want, they are a real deal breaker.

Our '09 Forester uses almost no oil, little enough that adds aren't required out to around 6K, at which point I'll drain out a little over four quarts.
So, no, not every Subie uses oil.
There are also numerous examples in the UOA forum of Subaru engines that required no adds in the OCIs run.
These may be flat fours, but they aren't old VWs.

You don't have a new FB25 engine in your vehicle...... Don't know about issues with your vehicle, my post is in regards to the FB25 engine, pretty specific, didn't say all Subarus.

There have been reports here of owners seeing high oil consumption with the new engine and the recommended oil.
We have a member here who has a '14 Forester.
Maybe he'll chime in with his observed oil consumption.
It may also be that initial high consumption settles down with breakin.

I just bought a 2014 XV Crosstrek so I'll keep an eye on any oil consumption.

The CVT seems fine to me.

As someone else said, the oil filter is in a pretty convenient location

Have 10k miles on 2013 XV with CVT. Have read about the oil consumption issues. Many posters later report no oil consumption after a few thousand miles. Also have 04 STi with 334 hp and never needed oil in between 3500 to 5000 mile(oops!)OCs. Motul 5-30 in that. Considering 100% synthetic in XV and changing just the filter 3750 and then the oil and filter at 7500(or maybe longer depending what UOA tells me).

Great cars. Maintain them, they'll last forever. I'm pushing my mom towards a Forrester when her Jeep finally dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back