Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30, 3131mi; 2013 Subaru STi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30
2013 STi, Stock
Mileage is slightly incorrect on the sheet. Should be 3131.

3181_UOA_STi_Ultra.jpg
[/URL]

Going to give it another short OCI, same oil. Other numbers are on par

Last edited by a moderator:
What were the miles like? I noticed you added 0.5 qts this time.

What was the previous oil?

What are your driving habits, and have they changed since the last interval?

It honestly may not matter, but I wouldn't personally run any resource-conserving oil in any turbo Subie, especially an STI.

OP - can you verify if there is an engine oil cooler? Maybe because of the turbo there is one?

The high copper is not good. Could be break-in but not sure how much break-in there is in a bearing vs rings or cylinder wall.

The lack of lead is also interesting.

I am thinking what is wearing is a bushing rather than a bearing.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I see you added 1/2 quart of oil on this OCI that wasn't needed before. Have you been beating the snot out of it?

I was half way down the dipstick reading last oil interval. (In between the L and F) I just didn't have oil to add it back to F which is fine. STi takes 4.5 quarts of oil for a change. And well, I happened to have 0.5 quart of Ultra left over due to the 5qts jug!
Oil consumption seems to come up quick, I don't monitor it every day but maybe once every other week. After I lose 0.5 qts at 1.5k miles or so, it stabilizes. I don't beat on the car, if I go WOT, it's after 15 minutes of driving. I enjoy the car, but I'm no streetlight/stop-sign racer.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
What were the miles like? I noticed you added 0.5 qts this time.

What was the previous oil?

What are your driving habits, and have they changed since the last interval?

It honestly may not matter, but I wouldn't personally run any resource-conserving oil in any turbo Subie, especially an STI.

Previous oil was dealership Subaru Synthetic 5w-30. Free! Courtesy of the dealership, how nice of them.

Driving habits have not changed, majority of mileage is highspeed highway. 80mph~ 3k-3.5k RPM.

Originally Posted By: Donald
OP - can you verify if there is an engine oil cooler? Maybe because of the turbo there is one?

The high copper is not good. Could be break-in but not sure how much break-in there is in a bearing vs rings or cylinder wall.

The lack of lead is also interesting.

I am thinking what is wearing is a bushing rather than a bearing.

Yes, the STi has an oil cooler.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
STI?

High copper is the oil cooler would be my .02$

What were the other two oils? (one was factory fill)

Yes, WRX STI

1st was FF, probably some type of 20 weight, or else it's a 30 that sheared down a ton.
2nd was dealership Subaru Synthetic 5w-30
3rd was this one PU.
Current fill is PU.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Toombs
Originally Posted By: Pablo
STI?

High copper is the oil cooler would be my .02$

What were the other two oils? (one was factory fill)

Yes, WRX STI

1st was FF, probably some type of 20 weight, or else it's a 30 that sheared down a ton.
2nd was dealership Subaru Synthetic 5w-30
3rd was this one PU.
Current fill is PU.

Then you are fine with the high copper. I would determine your OCI based upon your requirements but would not take copper into the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back